Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  05:01:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From FAILblog:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  05:03:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Someone on FOX is actually saying that it's "not fair" that Romney hasn't given up, because people are going to bed right now without hearing the "I know we said some nasty things during the campaign, but now it's time to get together and solve the problems faced by the nation" speeches that "we all need to hear" after this brutal past year or so.

I've been waiting for that the last 4 years, but seen none of that so far. And even if in words (the last election), not so much in action.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  05:14:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Right before going to commercial, one FOX anchor threw out a quick fact: this election was the most "tweeted" election in history.
Quick fact: no incumbent President with a Twitter campaign has lost re-election.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  05:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the first 15 minutes of Obama's victory speech, and I found it inspiring. (Then power was cut in the building I live in due to maintenance on the power distribution)
But what I saw, I liked.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  05:28:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Scott Brown, the guy who won Ted Kennedy's seat, was defeated by Elizabeth Warren.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  07:05:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Right before going to commercial, one FOX anchor threw out a quick fact: this election was the most "tweeted" election in history.
Quick fact: no incumbent President with a Twitter campaign has lost re-election.

Yeah, but there were no nuclear weapons before women got the vote.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  09:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Another: Nobody since Lincoln who has ever been a MySpace user has been elected President.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  10:40:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the campaign's website, Hank the Cat got over 5,300 votes for Virginia Senate.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  10:46:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

According to the campaign's website, Hank the Cat got over 5,300 votes for Virginia Senate.
I've been voting myself for Congress for years as a write-in, only to find published somewhere that I got a vote. But I guess all the people who just get one vote are ignored and it never shows up anywhere. What I need is to a) move to some small town, and b) find 3 or 4 people to vote for me as a write-in, and ideally the local small town paper will publish the county's results and I'll show up.

Alas. Maybe in 4 years.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  10:51:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I've been voting myself for Congress for years as a write-in, only to find published somewhere that I got a vote. But I guess all the people who just get one vote are ignored and it never shows up anywhere. What I need is to a) move to some small town, and b) find 3 or 4 people to vote for me as a write-in, and ideally the local small town paper will publish the county's results and I'll show up.

Alas. Maybe in 4 years.
Similarly, I was able to convince my wife to write me in for Mayor of Monterey, CA (the incumbent ran unopposed for reelection). My short-lived Mayoral candidacy ended fruitlessly with two votes....

But I got twice as many votes as you!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  10:53:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Alas. Maybe in 4 years.
Better yet, actually write a platform and run for office. Might even be as easy as what you propose.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  11:14:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Alas. Maybe in 4 years.
Similarly, I was able to convince my wife to write me in for Mayor of Monterey, CA (the incumbent ran unopposed for reelection). My short-lived Mayoral candidacy ended fruitlessly with two votes....

But I got twice as many votes as you!

See this is why I didnt vote for you Boron, you are not a numbers person... You got two more votes than us, not twice... How can we trust you with the police contracts?!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  00:07:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the most interesting thing about the 2012 elections is that we are seeing an amazing revolution in the social acceptance of same-sex marriages. Four state ballot measures concerning marriage equality were decided in favor of equality. Never before has any US marriage equality vote been decided in favor of equality. It's a sea-change, people, and it will be remarkable to see how quickly this will take hold in other states. People are finally seeing the inherent fairness of the arguments for marriage equality.

Kudos to those who have been stubbornly pushing for these measures, often struggling for years with no seeming hope of achieving equality. The methods used should be remembered by the secular movement. Just as atheists learned the lesson from gays to "come out," secularists in general can learn the lesson that a fairness argument, if genuine, may suddenly begin to get real traction, even after years of apparently fruitless effort.

There indeed seems to be a kind of "critical mass" in the body politic, a kind of punctuated equilibrium. Before it's reached, it seems nothing has changed. Once that critical mass has been achieved, BOOM! Changes come fast.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  03:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Obama victory, CNN has a fairly good analysis. It looks as though Obama had a much better organzied ground force. While the Romney campaign relied upon its big PAC contributors and massive phoning of supposed supporters, the Obama campaign quietly built a massive organization of people who went out on footn and actually talked to people, collecting new data by hand:
. . .

The Romney campaign and the Republican National Committee entered Election Day boasting about the millions of voter contacts -- door knocks and phone calls -- they had made in all the key states.

Volunteers were making the calls using an automated VOIP-system, allowing them to dial registered voters at a rapid clip and punch in basic data about them on each phone's keypad, feeding basic information into the campaign's voter file.

But volunteer callers were met with angry hang-ups and answering machines just as much as actual voters on the other end of the line. It was a voter contact system that favored quantity over quality.

At the same time, the campaign's door-to-door canvassing effort was heavily reliant on fired-up but untrained volunteers.

Obama organizers, meanwhile, had been deeply embedded in small towns and big cities for years, focusing their persuasion efforts on person-to-person contact.

The more nuanced data they collected, often with handwritten notes attached, were synced nightly with their prized voter database in Chicago.

After the dust had cleared, the GOP field operation, which had derided the Obama operation and gambled on organic Republican enthusiasm to push them over the top, seemed built on a house of cards.

"Their deal was much more real than I expected," one top Republican with close ties to the Romney campaign said of the Obama field team.

. . .
Nothing beats using up shoe-leather. As my sister emailed me just yesterday:
. . .

Do you remember the team you and I made during JFK's election? I was 20 and you were 16, both too young to vote, but we did a great job in the precinct we worked for Daddy's union. In fact, they told Daddy that our precinct had the highest turnout of Democrats for any they had workers in. Very exciting times! (We thought it was such a big deal to elect a Catholic, and look what we've done now.)

. . .

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/08/2012 03:43:33
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  05:01:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

On the Obama victory, CNN has a fairly good analysis. It looks as though Obama had a much better organzied ground force.
CNN is hopelessly biased. If you'd listen to the Fair and Balanced commentators at FOX, you'd understand that Romney lost because he only had eight months to build a campaign, while Obama had five years.

(Nevermind that Clinton only had eight months versus the five years that Bush the Elder had...)

But seriously, the real-live-human call I got from Obama's campaign on Saturday asked me whether I was going to vote, who I was going to vote for, and whether I needed a ride to my polling station. On Monday, an Obama campaign worker actually knocked on my door to ask me the same questions, and apologized when I told her that I'd gotten a call about the same stuff two days before. All that I got from Romney's campaign were robocalls and mailed glossies. So from my point-of-view, Romney lost in part because he had no "ground force" campaign at all.
There indeed seems to be a kind of "critical mass" in the body politic, a kind of punctuated equilibrium. Before it's reached, it seems nothing has changed. Once that critical mass has been achieved, BOOM! Changes come fast.
The Hundredth Voter Effect?

Seriously (again): the "critical mass" is 50% plus one. The idea that gays should be treated equally has been slowly gaining in popularity over the last 30+ years. This year, it finally passed parity.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.