Religion
 A Gift Of Wisdom For The Holidays.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  21:07:51  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A gift of wisdom for the Holidays.

Elsewhere on the internet (Yahoo Answers), over a year ago, I was feeling a bit mischievous so decided to take my Atheist Feather and see what I might tickle up with Theists that might choose to answer. Pulling for reactions, I posted this cry for help with an imagined child rearing problem.

Help! How Can I Stop my Child From Becoming an Atheist?
I screwed up big time. My son is only 18 months and very very smart. I bought him the "Baby Einstein" video's a week ago and he would scream and cry every time I turned off the player, so I left it on. Every time I would think he's asleep I'd go in and try to turn it off and he woke up and started screaming until I turned it back on. After a week, yesterday, he let me turn it off. Now I found a copy of Richard Dawkins " The God Delusion" under his pillow. He won't let me take it away, he screams when I go near it. I'm telling you I think my little angle is possessed. I called my priest, he knows I have a baby boy and came right over, like in ten minutes and I live 30 minutes away. My priest took one look and said "This is serious! He's possessed!!!" and that he can excise him but has to be with him alone. Well, I know what priest do!! I threw him out. Now, I need help. I don't know what to do. HAAALLP!!!! How can I stop my child from growing up and becoming an ATHEIST? Do you think Holy water would help? I'm thinking a bath tub full and some Ivory soap. What do you think???? I'm desperate. SS

That was the opening question. Open for anyone to reply to. While I got a number of replies with different kinds of advice. While not posted and available for selection as "The Best Answer" at the time. Apparently sometime afterwards some "Additional Details" were added after the question by some user. Remember the dilemma presented was,,, How to not raise an Atheist?

Here is the correct answer!
by David M , in the UK

Do not educate them, or expose them to critical thinking, logic or science.

Lie to them constantly about how the world works. Feed them a steady diet of mumbo jumbo dressed up like real knowledge - the jumbo jet in the whirlwind for example - and pretend that it is deep wisdom.

Make them loathe their own natural bodies and functions. Convince them they are small and weak and worthless and need redemption. Tell them everything enjoyable is grievously wrong to even think about, and that their only fun should be in grovelling to an invisible friend.

Ensure that they resent anyone who is not like them in every way - skin color, nationality, political opinion but especially creed. Make such people out to be evil and vile and give them - impotent minorities all - the fictional power to somehow oppress and persecute the vast majority who do think like you.

Teach them to laugh at and dismiss out of hand any faith but their own. Early - ea

I got more than I dreamed possible. I very big dose of wisdom.

Edit: to add link to my question. Should anyone care to read the other answers.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Edited by - sailingsoul on 12/14/2012 21:24:10

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  23:47:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SS, is this you? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110426082614AA7t3fy
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  07:41:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

SS, is this you? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110426082614AA7t3fy

NO it's not. I copied and pasted the two quoted sections in my op from the original, which I got by going to my answers account and calling it up through past questions. This is very interesting. At first I thought my hyper link was bad, but its not. I'm getting some bullshit page when I call it up from the hyperlink...
Oops

We are sorry, the URL you have entered cannot be displayed probably because:

The system is busy now. Please click on "Reload" button or try later.
The URL you entered is incorrect. Please check the URL you have entered.
This URL does not exist any longer. Please click on other URLs.

Thanks for using Yahoo! Answers

But when I try pasting the link address and go there with my browser I get it all the time using the same browser address. Very interesting. Apparently there's some hanky panky going on here.

Apon further efforts to see if there is anyway I might be able to get around what might be going on I came up with this.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110921152701AA1sv3e

which is different that this,,,
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index%20_ylt=AuvI0FDw9oYjDWusk_LbVJ3sy6IX%20_ylv=3?qid=20110921152701AA1sv3e

Let me know if this hyperlink works Thor.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  08:08:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I can't say what's going on with why I can call up the material when I use the browser on my computer and why accessing it with other avenues are not working. Seems China is not the only country where the citizens are having their internet experience filtered.

After even further poking about it seems that the reply I posted was not on my "yahoo answers" alone. Google any part of the answer and you'll find it in other places on the web. At least I can, with what I've been getting I have no clue what Google results anyone else might get back. Wow! the implications of this are quite depressing to say the least.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  19:57:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

...which is different that this,,,
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index%20_ylt=AuvI0FDw9oYjDWusk_LbVJ3sy6IX%20_ylv=3?qid=20110921152701AA1sv3e
The above link originally had semicolons in it, which the SFN software considers a security risk, and so turns them into spaces. If you copy-and-paste the above mess into your browser's nav bar, and then change the two instances of "%20" (without the quotes) into semicolons, the URL works just fine.

But a more-direct link is this one, anyway:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110921152701AA1sv3e

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2012 :  22:57:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not versed in computereze, thanks for exsplaining the problem Dave.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.