New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  06:47:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Originally posted by Kil
Also... When it was written, they were using flintlocks and muskets. Those were good for up to 6 rounds a minute, for the very proficient. Todays guns, and especially semi automatics can unload up to 600 rounds a minute. These are different times...

What?! The full auto firing speed for an AK-47 is 600 rounds per minute! You're off by a factor of at least 10 for semi-automatic rifles.

Yeah, semis are usually 40-60rpm, autos go up to 1200 now. Never understood a 1200rpm RoF with a 30 round clip.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  07:06:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Originally posted by Dave W.

No, gun restrictions won't stop the mass killings (one of the earliest US school-house massacres was done with dynamite,

Well it would certainly make it a lot more difficult. The guns used in this case (and others) were legally purchased. If someone had to obtain something illegally, they may be arrested in the process, or may even be deterred by the process altogether, especially for socially awkward teenagers, with presumably few black market weapons dealer contacts. Also, if someone could only use illegally obtained weapons, it would be far more expensive and their options in terms of choice and ammunition would be far more limited.

Dynamite and fertilizer. Plus the guy made his car into a giant fletchette grenade. Three blasts plus his car. Killed 38 kids. Bath, OH, May 1927. Average age of the victims was in the low teens.

However, improving the response time to an active shooter will limit the body count.

School teachers packing since 2008

Depending on law enforcement for responses to shootings will not work. An active shooter kills in seconds. It takes the police minutes to get there.

In both of the recent cases, the weapons used were stolen. How is banning weapons going to stop this? I do not see a valid reason to ban weapons based on the actions of mentally disturbed people who stole weapons?

Why just focus on guns?

Why not ban assault knives?

After all, it's for the safety of the children.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  07:11:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I've heard some saying that we only need to ban automatic weapons, semis are okay. Want to bet? A popular semi-automatic assault rifle is the FN FAL, which I carried for ten years. In just a few minutes I can disassemble it, and by inserting a paper matchstick or even just a folded piece of paper, into the right place, turn it full auto. There are probably other weapons with similar arrangements.

But the biggest problem is not the guns, it's the gun mentality. And how we change that I have no idea.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  08:56:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

In both of the recent cases, the weapons used were stolen.
That glosses over reality a bit, don't you think? Lanza used his mother's legally owned weapons. While they were technically "stolen" because Adam Lanza wasn't of legal age to own weapons himself, it's not like he broke into a gun shop or bought stolen guns in a back alley.
Every one of those kids lived. It's still tragic, but it's an orders-of-magnitude smaller tradgedy than what happened in Newtown.

But why not ban big blades? As a teenager, I was under the impression that my state had laws limiting the length of a blade that could be carried. I found out I was wrong when I asked a state trooper about the legalities of wearing a real sword as part of a Halloween costume. But I didn't see anything wrong with those mythical laws, and still don't. If we're worried about child safety, then yes, we should limit knife size, since a smaller blade will generally do less damage than a big one in the hands of a random attacker.

But the question is still about guns. Given the survived/died ratios of these two examples, I'd much prefer mass attackers to be forced to use knives instead of guns. A much larger percentage of the victims live.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  09:26:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In both of the recent cases, the weapons used were stolen.
That glosses over reality a bit, don't you think? Lanza used his mother's legally owned weapons. While they were technically "stolen" because Adam Lanza wasn't of legal age to own weapons himself, it's not like he broke into a gun shop or bought stolen guns in a back alley.

But he did have to break in to the gun safe and defeat the lock to obtain them. He killed the gun owner and had access to her keys. Had Jimmy Gangbanger tried the same thing, they would have been stymied by the safe and the lock.

Every one of those kids lived. It's still tragic, but it's an orders-of-magnitude smaller tradgedy than what happened in Newtown.

But why not ban big blades? As a teenager, I was under the impression that my state had laws limiting the length of a blade that could be carried. I found out I was wrong when I asked a state trooper about the legalities of wearing a real sword as part of a Halloween costume. But I didn't see anything wrong with those mythical laws, and still don't. If we're worried about child safety, then yes, we should limit knife size, since a smaller blade will generally do less damage than a big one in the hands of a random attacker.

But the question is still about guns. Given the survived/died ratios of these two examples, I'd much prefer mass attackers to be forced to use knives instead of guns. A much larger percentage of the victims live.

Oddly enough, small bladed knives ARE subject to bans based on concealability. Switchblades are illegal as well as blades of a length of less than 4 inches carried on ones person. The story also mentions other knife attacks in 2010 where children died from their wounds.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  09:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The story also mentions other knife attacks in 2010 where children died from their wounds.
If you're contending that knife mass attacks cause proportionally as many deaths as gun mass attacks, and so we should be arguing for knife bans as loudly as we argue for gun bans (for those of us who do so), you're going to have to provide the numbers.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  11:10:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Originally posted by Kil
Also... When it was written, they were using flintlocks and muskets. Those were good for up to 6 rounds a minute, for the very proficient. Todays guns, and especially semi automatics can unload up to 600 rounds a minute. These are different times...

What?! The full auto firing speed for an AK-47 is 600 rounds per minute! You're off by a factor of at least 10 for semi-automatic rifles.

Yeah, semis are usually 40-60rpm, autos go up to 1200 now. Never understood a 1200rpm RoF with a 30 round clip.

I got that figure off of some site. I dunno. But the kid had three semi automatic weapons. And even 40 to 60 rpm are a far cry from what was available when the 2nd amendment was ratified as one of the first ten amendments. He didn't even have an AK 47. I just threw out a rifel that I've heard of. I apologize for that. But as you can see, these are still very different times. Four to six rounds to 40 to 60 is a significant diference, even taking my mistake into account.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-gun-did-the-sandy-hook-shooter-use-2012-12

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  13:41:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The story also mentions other knife attacks in 2010 where children died from their wounds.
If you're contending that knife mass attacks cause proportionally as many deaths as gun mass attacks, and so we should be arguing for knife bans as loudly as we argue for gun bans (for those of us who do so), you're going to have to provide the numbers.

No, I'm saying that knives and other weapons are used more often than guns in crimes but they just don't get the press.

Victimization reports

In the above reports (Table 9 specifically), there are only 10% more gun related crimes than knife related crimes. However, that isn't the whole story.

The difference in total crimes come to a .7% difference.
In cases where the weapon used was neither a gun nor a knife, the number is higher than gun related crime.

Now when the total number of firearms in the US is taken into consideration (approximately 80 million households) these "gun control" measures seek to punish gun ownership by the vast majority of legal gun owners.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  15:21:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Victimization reports

In the above reports (Table 9 specifically), there are only 10% more gun related crimes than knife related crimes. However, that isn't the whole story.

I don't know which numbers in that table you're looking at, but when the offender was a stranger between 2005 and 2010, gun crime was 10.4% of all violent crime, and knife crime was 6.7%. There were 257,446 guns crime on average during each of those years, and 165,855 knife crimes, so gun crime was 55% more frequent than knife crime.

And knife crime leads to less death on a per-crime basis.
In cases where the weapon used was neither a gun nor a knife, the number is higher than gun related crime.
In the column from which I pulled the above numbers, "other weapon" and "unknown" added together were 9.4% of all violent crime, or less frequent than gun crime.
Now when the total number of firearms in the US is taken into consideration (approximately 80 million households) these "gun control" measures seek to punish gun ownership by the vast majority of legal gun owners.
Yeah, if you're going to talk about measures like licensing, registration, inspection and identification as "punishment," then we won't be seeing eye-to-eye on this, ever.

In 2009, there were 10.8 million motor vehicle accidents. With 209 million licensed drivers that same year, clearly the hoops one needs to jump through to own and operate a car in the U.S. are simply punishing the vast majority of drivers who don't cause accidents. We "punish" them by forcing them to show a bare minimum of competence, that their equipment is functional, that they've got insurance, and by forcing them, when they buy new cars, to get ones with most of the latest safety features. Do you think the per-driver accident rate would go up or down if we did none of these things, and merely did a background check and a waiting period for buying cars?

If "punishing" 80 million gun-owning households can prevent even just a handful of deaths, it's worth it, in my opinion. On the balance, for this question, is a single fifth-grader's life on one side, and inconveniencing 80 million households on the other. I know which side I'd give more weight to. I consider death to be a far greater "punishment."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  18:28:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dynamite and fertilizer.

You can kill someone with your bare hands. The issue is damage control and damage limitation. How many people have the expertise to make a fertilizer bomb? The instructions are available online, sure, but it's quite a difficult and impractical process. Which is why terrorists don't use it. Also it's quite conspicuous, (especially if you live with your parents). You can't ban fertilizer anyway, people need fertilizer, so it's irrelevant to the discussion. I don't see why people need handguns. There are alternative ways to defend your home.

In both of the recent cases, the weapons used were stolen. How is banning weapons going to stop this? I do not see a valid reason to ban weapons based on the actions of mentally disturbed people who stole weapons?

Stolen? You mean the guns were legally owned by his mother and he "stole" them from his own house? Are you really asking how gun control would prevent this? Answer: Because there wouldn't be a gun to steal. I think any small child wouldn't even need to ask this.

Why just focus on guns?

Because it's EXTREMELY easy for 1 person to kill many people with a gun. A dazzlingly stupid question even a lamb would be embarrassed to ask.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  21:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't see why people need handguns. There are alternative ways to defend your home.

Like what? What about the elderly or disabled?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  03:45:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
Four to six rounds to 40 to 60 is a significant diference, even taking my mistake into account.

Remember that the "four rounds a minute" number is for an expert flintlock-rifleman.
An expert handling a semi-automatic should be able to get off 2-3 shots per second, I know I can with the training pistol at my gun club.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  07:13:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Victimization reports

I don't know which numbers in that table you're looking at, but when the offender was a stranger between 2005 and 2010, gun crime was 10.4% of all violent crime, and knife crime was 6.7%. There were 257,446 guns crime on average during each of those years, and 165,855 knife crimes, so gun crime was 55% more frequent than knife crime.

And you left off the portion where the victim knew their attacker. The data was split between stranger and known. You have to add them together.

And knife crime leads to less death on a per-crime basis.
In the column from which I pulled the above numbers, "other weapon" and "unknown" added together were 9.4% of all violent crime, or less frequent than gun crime.

By strangers only. You forget the non-stranger element.

For all classes of assialiant, gun crime adds up to a shade under 7% of all crime and knife crime adds up to 6.3% of all crime. Since more crime is committed by people known to the victim, it skews the data when just focusing on stranger crime.

Yeah, if you're going to talk about measures like licensing, registration, inspection and identification as "punishment," then we won't be seeing eye-to-eye on this, ever.

Not talking about that. Talking about punishing legal gun owners with confiscation of legally purchased arms. You are talking about banning firearm ownership.

In 2009, there were 10.8 million motor vehicle accidents. With 209 million licensed drivers that same year, clearly the hoops one needs to jump through to own and operate a car in the U.S. are simply punishing the vast majority of drivers who don't cause accidents. We "punish" them by forcing them to show a bare minimum of competence, that their equipment is functional, that they've got insurance, and by forcing them, when they buy new cars, to get ones with most of the latest safety features. Do you think the per-driver accident rate would go up or down if we did none of these things, and merely did a background check and a waiting period for buying cars?

If "punishing" 80 million gun-owning households can prevent even just a handful of deaths, it's worth it, in my opinion. On the balance, for this question, is a single fifth-grader's life on one side, and inconveniencing 80 million households on the other. I know which side I'd give more weight to. I consider death to be a far greater "punishment."

Great, then you are for "punishing" all legal drivers by confiscating their cars. Especially those big, scary SUVs. After all, it's for the children.

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  07:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When did Dave say "confiscate the weapons" VD? He said "licensing, registration, inspection and identification".

The car analogy was simply pointing out that we gladly allow and rightly demand "licensing, registration, inspection and identification" for vehicles, so why would it be such a big deal for firearms?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  07:57:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't see why people need handguns. There are alternative ways to defend your home.

Like what? What about the elderly or disabled?
They will have to learn Tae-Kwon-Do just like everybody else. Shesh...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.