Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  11:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

The proposals being set forth is to ban classes of weapons, not additional licensure.
I (the person you're discussing stuff with here on SFN) am not proposing to ban classes of weapons. Please don't mistake me for the idiots in Congress.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  09:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Why shouldn't there be federal laws with regard to gun regulations?

Also, Val, would you support the gun show loophole that exists in several states? 40% of all guns sold are done so without any waiting period or background check at gun shows or privately.

No, I wouldn't. However, the loophole was already plugged in 1938.

linky

There is the firearms instant check available through the government which these gun show vendors must abide by. Private sales, like private sales of automobiles, happen. This act provides for the prosecution of those who don't check the existence of a FOID card or rudimentary checks. The waiting period is largely useless. People who already own weapons aren't going to run out to purchase a new one just for the occassion of killing someone in the heat of passion.

And getting an FOID card is a drawn out process.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  13:10:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Why shouldn't there be federal laws with regard to gun regulations?

Also, Val, would you support the gun show loophole that exists in several states? 40% of all guns sold are done so without any waiting period or background check at gun shows or privately.

"Waiting period? But I'm mad now!" --Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  13:42:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about increased penalties for crimes being committed by weapons registered to another person? Sort of coerce proper registration transfer at gun shows/private sales.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  07:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

How about increased penalties for crimes being committed by weapons registered to another person? Sort of coerce proper registration transfer at gun shows/private sales.

Already in force. Unless you report the weapon stolen, you are financially on the hook in the case of a crime done by someone else if you are the registered gun owner.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  13:01:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Machi4velli

Already in force. Unless you report the weapon stolen, you are financially on the hook in the case of a crime done by someone else if you are the registered gun owner.
All gun laws are already enforce and enforced. Guns are not to blame for anything. People kill, not guns...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  20:13:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Private sales, like private sales of automobiles, happen.
How many private auto sales happen without transferring the title?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  08:10:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The NRA's solution to school shootings.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  18:09:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Pretty much everyone thought the NRA suggestions were stupid. Even on the right. Even NRA members. Basically, LaPierre made himself a laughing stock.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  09:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Private sales, like private sales of automobiles, happen.
How many private auto sales happen without transferring the title?

I've been involved in one. It is more common than private sales of guns where the proper paperwork wasn't filed.

What happens is that the person buying the car takes the title (signed) and never tells the government or files the transfer paperwork. Happened to me only once. It was a mess that I will not be repeating.

The individual ended up abandoning the vehicle on the street. It was leaking every fluid imaginable. It got towed and then crushed by the City of Chicago (with my blessing).

I'm now to the point where I insist that the buyer and I drive to the nearest DMV to get everything sorted out there. Transfer of funds and title happens there.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  10:01:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A cop in every school.

[sarcasm] Oh, yeah. Police response was the core issue [/sarcasm]

LaPierre is an idiot. He was the reason George H. W. Bush resigned from the NRA in 1995.

He also isn't coming up with any realistic or effective solutions.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2012 :  13:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Wayne LaPierre, NRA's executive vice president.
Well, that seemed to always work when I was 10.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2012 :  09:10:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we can learn from those who have banned guns. Does it reduce murders, does it increase safety?
Australia banned guns and promised positive results.

Penn Jellet adds his two cents.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2012 :  14:15:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweden has a semi-recurring period when they give amnesty from "illegal possession of firearms" if you turn them in to the police. No questions asked.
"I found this under a log in the woods..."
"Ok, thank you! We'll take care of it."

A way for people to dispose of illegal weapons without it getting into someone else's wrong hands.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  08:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://blackagendareport.com/content/american-history-black-history-and-right-bear-arms

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds.