Social Issues
 John Scalzi: Putting a Troll to work.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  16:17:00  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can read about it on his blog. The troll in question is Vox Day.

What Scalzi is doing is: From now (backdated to the first of Jan) until the end of the year, each time that Vox Day (the "Racist Sexist Homophobic Dipshit") talks about Scalzi, Scalzi will put 5 bucks into a pot which will at the end of the year be spread around to these groups which advocate causes that Vox hates:

*RAINN

*Emily’s List

*Human Rights Campaign

*NAACP

Scalzi goes on to make some changes:
Update: People are asking if they can contribute too. Sure. Here’s how we’ll do this: Note in the comment thread here that you want to play along (or send me an e-mail if you’d prefer to be private) and then note the maximum amount you want to contribute for the year. Commit to donating 5% (i.e., even if the Racist Sexist Homophobic Dipshit never mentioned me again, you’ll donate 5% of your maximum donation to at least one of the organizations listed above). At the end of the year, when I tally up, you donate. Easy!

This is only ONE day old. Guess how much he's racked up in pledges so far:

Update 6: As of noon Eastern on Sunday, February 3, we’re up to over $30,000 in pledges in the comment thread. This is more fun than the Super Bowl.

Holy shit.

Hat tip to PZ Myers.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  20:12:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
John Scalzi is awesome. Love his books and his blog.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  22:59:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
er... good idea but it's taking money out of the hands of the wrong guy. Vox still gets to keep his money and say whatever he wants.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  08:45:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

er... good idea but it's taking money out of the hands of the wrong guy. Vox still gets to keep his money and say whatever he wants.

OFfC, Even Vox has a 1st Amendment right. It doesn't stop just because the message sucks.

I find it nice that Scalzi wants to help combat Vox's nonsense. I do hope that he makes those donations in Vox's honor. It is putting action behind words.

My hat is off to Scalzi in this one.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  19:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's just giving the guy more attention

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  20:21:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think it's just giving the guy more attention
Ignoring trolls doesn't make them go away, it makes them troll that much harder.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  20:30:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think about it this way. Now people are going to have fun scrutinising his writings. His website will generate more traffic from more unique visitors, probably from demographics that would never normally visit it. This will result in his site appearing higher in search engine results, more attention, which is exactly what he wants. For example I just visited his blog for the first time to see what all the fuss was about.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 02/05/2013 20:31:44
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  05:52:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mere page views aren't enough. Vox wants to be taken seriously. More eyes will generate more mockery, though, since the audience for Narcissistic Racist Sexist Homophobic Dipshits is rather limited.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  19:32:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems that PZ Myers has found a reason why Vox Day is going after Scalzi so much. Scalzi is about to end his term as president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Vox is running for president himself and he's running Scalzi down in the process. Myers links to a blog of a SFWA member who is having none of it.

The first person to announce his candidacy for SFWA president was Theodore Beale, aka Vox Day. Steven Gould has also tossed his hat into the ring. I knew Gould as the author of Jumper, among other things, and we’re on at least one mailing list together. Beale’s name was vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t remember where I had heard it. So I went looking…

What I found raised some concerns.

Boy howdy! Yeah. He lists what he's found and he's got every reason to be concerned!

Among the many things listed:
Beale also has a history of referring to current SFWA president John Scalzi as “McRapey.” In case that was too subtle, he also titled his first such post John Scalzi is a Rapist. (Beale also talks about how rapists are more likely to vote Democratic, because one third of all forcible rapists are black.)

I wonder if the SFWA will be concerned that their current president is an admitted rapist or if they’ll take the approach towards him that NOW and the other feminist groups did towards Bill Clinton. Of course, unlike Scalzi, Clinton never admitted to being a rapist … Wait, he claims his confession is satire? Well, that might fool anyone unfamiliar with the concept of blown cover as cover.

Yeah. Remember Vox's own views on rape?

Jim concludes:
The president of SFWA has to be able to work with others on the board and within the organization. I’ve seen nothing to suggest his ability to do this, particularly when others disagree with him. Nor do I trust him to treat members with respect, particularly if those members happen to have the “wrong” chromosomal pair.

As president, Beale would be the public face of the organization. He would have to work with a board made of up people who might not be white or male or straight, and who might not always agree with him. And my sense is that this is a disaster waiting to happen.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 02/07/2013 22:31:58
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  23:02:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How the fuck does a fucking moron like Vox even get on a ballot for this? Sci-Fi/Science fiction (some writers disapprove of Sci-Fi as a description) writers seems to be, as a group, more intelligent than this.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  23:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scalzi is a rapist?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  04:16:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Scalzi is a rapist?
Only in Vox Day's little mind. He even links to the "admission," but rejects it as satire.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  07:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Scalzi is a rapist?
Only in Vox Day's little mind. He even links to the "admission," but rejects it as satire.

Just read this one.

This is just biting satire. He writes a letter to conservative politicians as a rapist would during the "women's biology will reject a rapist's baby" and "legitimate rape" idiocy out of some conservative legislators. It is very well written. I think that Day's playing the "I mischaracterize you" fundie game.

I think some Republicans are getting that they have a serious issue with whackjob extremists. Bobby Jindal said that the Republican Party has got to stop being the stupid party.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  17:19:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Scalzi is a rapist?

As the others here have pointed out, Scalzi is not. But Vox Day's views on rape deserve to be looked at.

You may also want to read his views on honor killings. It, like all of these quotes, have a link to where he originally made the comment. Ironically enough, he's attacking PZ Myers.

He also says this while ragging on Myers because Myers is pro-choice, and going on and on about all the murders that "atheism" is suppposed to be responsible for!

This is what a holy-spirit-filled xian apparently looks like. He's a writer for the World Net Daily, a popular xian online newsrag.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 02/08/2013 17:21:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.