Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  19:50:17  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my cousins recently posted this on facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBh5MEF21HI

I, of course, commented. The performer of the song decided to also drop in for some conversation. FB more or less sucks for this kind of discussion so I invited them over here.

I don't know if they will take me up on the offer.... but:

This link has a comprehensive look at the current state of cannaboid compounds and their use in cancer research.

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2012/07/25/cannabis-cannabinoids-and-cancer-the-evidence-so-far/

The bottom line is simple, there is no evidence that hash oil cures cancer.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  09:49:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A person I work with tried to tell me a few years ago that cannabis cures EVERYTHING! According to her, the reason it does so is because it's more closely related to humans than any other form of life.

Riiiiiight...

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  13:14:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

A person I work with tried to tell me a few years ago that cannabis cures EVERYTHING! According to her, the reason it does so is because it's more closely related to humans than any other form of life.

Riiiiiight...

Ha! That's what I thought....back in the sixties.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  14:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Riiiiiight...

Cannabis has some curative properties. But it is no pancea.

Cannabis seeds (THC content: nil) stops heartburn
Smoking cannabis aids in glaucoma and helps in pain management for terminal patients.

The cannabis plat itself is useful in textiles and rope manufacturing.

It also can mellow some folks out.

Beyond that, I have seen nothing to denote any sort of pancea curative.

The reason that it does what it does is due to the particular inherent qualities of the plant and plant components.

Nightshade has some uses as a muscle relaxant (external use only), but overdosing is very easy to do and with rather dire consequences.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  20:33:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A painkiller is not a cure.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  20:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Thanks so much for ignoring the bulk of my post to focus on a tagentel issue.

Your number is 23. Have the chaplian punch your TS card.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  22:29:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't ignore the rest of your post. I read it, and didn't feel the need to add anything.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  22:29:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I consider it a cure for pain, like for curing a pain in the ass. It also, to add to Valiant Dancer's list, helps relieve nausea from a number of medical and health causes.
Medical Marijuana as a Nausea Remedy

The anti-nausea effects of medicinal marijuana are well known both scientifically and among users who have experienced relief from nausea and vomiting. While cannabinoids isolated from the cannabis plant also help to mitigate nausea, smoking medical marijuana provides superior treatment for vomiting when compared to THC ingested orally. THC also improved appetite and reduced weight loss in patients living with AIDS, as a 2007 study showed. In a similar study during the same year in which scientists surveyed HIV-positive marijuana smokers, both THC and medical marijuana resulted in an increase in caloric intake and in weight.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  22:57:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the most beneficial effect to date seems to be the anti-emetic properties and the appetite stimulation.

There seems to be a fair amount of research into the effects of cannaboids on cancer, so the answer there is just wait and see.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  04:46:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I consider it a cure for pain, like for curing a pain in the ass. It also, to add to Valiant Dancer's list, helps relieve nausea from a number of medical and health causes.

Well if you're going to be liberal with the concept of a "cure" we can also consider it a cure for not being high.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  07:38:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will agree with you that it is a liberal usage of word "cure".
Speaking of medical benefits some people also use it to maintain their mental health, as they see or need it. In the context that taking a vacation can be restorative and can be doctor recommended. A much shorter version of one, an agent of relaxation and as a stress reducer, akin to a time out. It's federal designation as a class one narcotic is completely wrong and ill applied. The greatest harm that is had from it's use are those from the government because of that designation and the penalties they encure.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

elizabethdennis

2 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  05:14:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit elizabethdennis's Homepage Send elizabethdennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know cannabis has healing effects to certain diseases. But I'm not sure if it includes cancer.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  06:23:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by elizabethdennis

I know cannabis has healing effects to certain diseases. But I'm not sure if it includes cancer.
Cancer is not one disease. I believe there are over 270 different types of cancers. Cancers comes in many flavors and types that affect different parts of the body. Like http://www.mesothelioma-treatments.org/benign.html" target="_blank">benign and Malignant tumors, lung, liver, kidney, bone or blood to name a few general kinds. Even those have differences or variations that may require different types of treatments. To say anything might cure cancer should include more specific information as to what kind. Not doing so renders the comment useless in meaning as it leaves more unsaid than said.
Do you know anything more specific than that about it's "cancer" curing abilities? I doesn't say much at all as stated.

Edited by - sailingsoul on 02/12/2013 06:27:46
Go to Top of Page

energyscholar

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  13:34:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send energyscholar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are quite a few anecdotal accounts of cannabis having curative effects on some types of cancer. One particularly well documented and high profile case is Steve Kubby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Kubby
http://www.mapinc.org/newssk/v02/n2102/a07.html?1319

but there are many others. That said, cannabis is no panacea, and is usually used medicinally for improved quality of life, as an anti-emitic, and to stimulate apetite.

"It is Easier to get Forgiveness than Permission" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  21:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anecdota ain't data. (well, it is but it only counts the hits and not the misses)

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 02/13/2013 21:15:40
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  17:11:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply energyscholar and links.
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Anecdota ain't data. (well, it is but it only counts the hits and not the misses)
Anecodal evidence also might give credit erroneously. It' not at all reliable, that's why it's not ever considered with clinical testing the efficacy of a treatment or a drug.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.