New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  08:54:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears, here, Cannabis is credited with health benefits from at least one patient suffering from ALS.
Cathy was diagnosed in 1986 with ALS, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, leading to loss of limb control, breathing, swallowing and speech. However, after trying cannabis in 1989, she was able to better manage her symptoms and significantly improve her quality of life. Now, more than 20 years later, Cathy has outlived five of her support groups and four of her neurologists.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  20:14:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what confuses me about medical use of marijuana is that most people still smoke it. Is that the best delivery system for a drug? Should we start smoking all our medicines? Why not isolate the active ingredient/s, put it in a pill or a nasal spray or whatever, and properly regulate it as a pharmaceutical drug?

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  20:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

what confuses me about medical use of marijuana is that most people still smoke it.
Most people who use marijuana for medical purposes either infuse it into cooking oil so it can be ingested in food or inhale it through a vaporizer, which is an alternative to burning.

Why not isolate the active ingredient/s, put it in a pill or a nasal spray or whatever, and properly regulate it as a pharmaceutical drug?
Marinol is already on the market.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/06/2013 20:30:38
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  15:27:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

It appears, here, Cannabis is credited with health benefits from at least one patient suffering from ALS.
Cathy was diagnosed in 1986 with ALS, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, leading to loss of limb control, breathing, swallowing and speech. However, after trying cannabis in 1989, she was able to better manage her symptoms and significantly improve her quality of life. Now, more than 20 years later, Cathy has outlived five of her support groups and four of her neurologists.

It's still anecdotal?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  20:33:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

It's still anecdotal?
Yes, I suppose it is.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2013 :  16:37:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems there is more than anecdotal evidence out there.
Link.
Reports of success are circulating among medical Cannabis users and on the internet. They gain plausibility from a parallel stream of papers published in scientific journals establishing that cannabinoids have anti-tumor effects on the cellular level and in animals.
And even babies?
One speaker, Jeffrey Hergenrather, MD, described a particularly dramatic case seen by a San Diego colleague: a 90% reduction in the size of an infant’s brain tumor achieved over the course of a year by parents applying hemp oil to the baby’s pacifier before naptime and bedtime.
Humm, Maybe I should start putting it on my pacifier too. I hope they keep their name under wraps. Under federal law these parents could be put in prison I would imagine. Surely this is not going away any time soon.

Go to Top of Page

philevans

USA
1 Post

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  15:20:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send philevans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm all for performing thorough research and being "skeptical". But after more than a hundred scientific studies that (almost all) concluded that THC AND CBN drastically reduce tumor growth and activity without harming healthy cells, anyone who remains "skeptical" is either 1)uninformed 2)delusional 3)a paid troll or 4)in possession of scientific studies unknown to rest of us. I have personally spoken with multiple individuals diagnosed with "terminal" forms of cancer by an oncologist who "cured" themselves by using THC oil and now are living "cancer-free", diagnosed as such by the same professional using the very same diagnostical tools which previously diagnosed the subject as "terminal". Additionally, there are many peer-reviewed studies as well. I have 4 such studies on my laptop HD in .pdf format for anyone who, for whatever reason, cannot find on the internet. If after reading the peer-reviewed studies you still are not convinced that Cannabis cures cancer, see #2 above.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  15:41:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Skeptic Friends Network!
Originally posted by philevans

I have 4 such studies on my laptop HD in .pdf format for anyone who, for whatever reason, cannot find on the internet.
Why not just post the citations here, to make them that much easier to find?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  05:06:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The weed MAY help "cure" one or two of the 200 or so types of cancer, it WILL cause about six others.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  05:18:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

The weed MAY help "cure" one or two of the 200 or so types of cancer, it WILL cause about six others.
Which types of cancers are those that it causes and what makes you think so BPS?

Go to Top of Page

Helpfuljosh

Netherlands
5 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  02:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Helpfuljosh's Homepage Send Helpfuljosh a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't mean to disturb your perfect little world but wouldn't it be nice to do a little research every now and then? There is a lot of bullshit but in a way the girl is right.
We have receptors for the active ingredients in cannabis. This is called the endocannabinoid system. This is also why it is impossible to overdose, your body can handle with this stuff pretty well also because it is non toxic.

Start reading here, only if you want you little world to become a fraction bigger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system

Or here:

http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/the-endocannabinoid-system-and-how-it-works/

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  09:14:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Helpfuljosh!

I have a few questions about your post:

Originally posted by Helpfuljosh

I don't mean to disturb your perfect little world ...

Don't worry! I don't think anybody here claims to have a world that's either perfect or little. Disturb away!
...but wouldn't it be nice to do a little research every now and then?
That is almost all we ever ask.
There is a lot of bullshit but in a way the girl is right.
What bullshit? Which girl? I really don't know what you are trying to say here.
We have receptors for the active ingredients in cannabis. This is called the endocannabinoid system.
Interesting. Tell me more!
This is also why it is impossible to overdose, your body can handle with this stuff pretty well also because it is non toxic.
Can you please explain this more? I don't see how the endocannabinoid system ensures that you can't overdose, and I don't see how you know "it" is non toxic. Which "it" are you referring to, anyway? Marijuana? THC? Any derivative?
Start reading here, only if you want you little world to become a fraction bigger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system

Or here:

http://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/the-endocannabinoid-system-and-how-it-works/
Well, I read your first link. It's a little over my head, but I was able to get the gist of it. Your second link seemed a little too much like propaganda, so I only glanced at it. There is also nothing here that expanded my world in any way, but I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by that.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2014 :  18:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Helpfuljosh

We have receptors for the active ingredients in cannabis.
No, we have receptors for the lipid hormones our own body creates. THC also happens to bind to those receptors. It's all right there on the Wikipedia page you linked to.
This is also why it is impossible to overdose, your body can handle with this stuff pretty well also because it is non toxic.
That's quite a leap. We also have receptors that alcohol binds to, but it's toxic.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  19:59:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dangit, another moment's reflection and I would have figured out that cigarettes and Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors are a better analogy.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  01:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't feel bad, Dave. It happens to all of us.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.