Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  04:45:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was curous so I looked. They do have a web page. Here is their trust in god message. I guess modern technology is ok since it is just a godly inspired tool for spreading the message.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  07:31:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

I was curous so I looked. They do have a web page. Here is their trust in god message. I guess modern technology is ok since it is just a godly inspired tool for spreading the message.
And then there is this:

Healing - From God or Medicine?

These people are certifiable.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2013 :  11:21:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I think we have waited long enough. It appears your not going to get an answer, Dave. You are not alone.
Yeah, I'm used to it. Ask the tough questions like "is this what you really think?" and certain people clam up. What can we infer from the silence? You'd think a "no" would be easy enough, and a "no" with a clarification only slightly less easy. Does silence imply affirmation? "Yes" is only one more letter than "no," but perhaps there's a social cost to saying "yes" which makes the time spent typing irrelevant.
As some have seen before, the legal system can move slowly...
As my favorite law blogger often notes, the wheels of justice grind slowly, but they do grind.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2013 :  09:18:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've been charged with third-degree murder.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2013 :  06:30:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  16:47:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a start. I don't see them both going to prison. The odds from the past are way against it. He might, is most likely. There is no way of knowing for certain at this time. Now, if the prosecutors do their job right, then civil justice has a good chance but there is no telling now. The two dead babies will get no justice in court or after the parents are dead because the courts can't undo what happened to them and their parents God is nonexistent. Both infants had the misfortune of getting the parents they got, they got sick and suffered miserably until they died from lack of simple medical care that would have saved them. They both died from non-life threatening illnesses that were deliberately left untreated until they died and both autopsies now determined that.

Perhaps if they both go to prison, others in their church and with similar believers of near by churches who are watching this (which exist) will choose not to follow their example for their own sake but most importantly their children's sake. Perhaps those other parents are watching and will start to think with the brains they got, form wherever they what to believe their brains came from and use them, instead of letting others preach to them on what God wants, like they could know. These parents didn't think for themselves and now they got two dead infants which I believe they are grieving for and face real prison tim on top of that because they didn't help their babies with everything they had at their disposal at this point in history.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  18:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to follow that pastor around and see if he goes for medical care. He looks rather old. I also wonder how much money he has made off of these people.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  00:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they are in too deep into their faith, putting some of the followers in prison will only provide martyrs for them and strengthen their faith that they are doing "the right thing".

At least the remaining children will be safe.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  11:56:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get this even their pastor blames them for their baby's death. Like he had nothing to do with the baby's death. What a class act (not) their pastor is.
The church pastor, Nelson Clark, told The Inquirer last month that the Schaible children died because of a "spiritual lack" on the part of the parents.
Talk about hanging someone out to dry and then there is this part of the article.

As members of a Juniata Park church that shuns medical care, the Schaibles called an assistant pastor to their home to anoint and pray for their child, but never sought medical help even though they were obligated to do so under the terms of probation in the 2009 death of their 2-year-old son, Kent.
So would it be the church pastor, Nelson Clark's opinion that even an assistant pastor from their very church failed their God's apparent "sufficient faith threshold" and sentenced the baby to death? Notice how the pastor who must surly have sufficient faith left it to those which clearly are lacking, in his and his God's eyes . What a truly sick God they are praying to, if He is real.

I wonder if they are ever going to be charged with violating their probation. I haven't seen anything about bring them back into court for that.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  20:28:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way:
Two Philadelphia faith-healing churches have a long history of the youngest members of their congregation dying because parents refused medical care.

Families who attend Faith Tabernacle Congregation in North Philadelphia and First Century Gospel Church in Juniata Park have lost more than two dozen children to illness since 1971...
(My bold.)
A child dies every two years in these churches. Absolutely horrible.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  08:55:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

By the way:
Two Philadelphia faith-healing churches have a long history of the youngest members of their congregation dying because parents refused medical care.

Families who attend Faith Tabernacle Congregation in North Philadelphia and First Century Gospel Church in Juniata Park have lost more than two dozen children to illness since 1971...
(My bold.)
It may be of value to point out a number of those infants deaths came from them not being given their immunizations. Which is also practiced by parents of every and no religious beliefs and from every educational and economic background. The root of the matter is people are making bad decisions based on their vision of reality that has nothing to do with reality. People's inability to think for themselves and make proper choices when given the information is at the root of these preventable deaths.

Unfortunately, like in this case, to many people chose to believe what they've been told without proper scrutiny. They believe if one want's something hard enough reality will comply. They insist, against the evidence and reality, that if they believe hard enough or pray hard enough their beliefs and desires will be true and granted. Being deluded enough is not capable of suspending reality in your favor as most here know. All should but don't.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  19:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wheels of justice can turn slowly if at all and some time has passed since these foolish people allowed their second child to die while they prayed, died a slow preventable death because if their delusional beliefs. Here is an update on what's been going on with this case.
Link
Judge Benjamin Lerner noted the condition in a hearing on Wednesday, according to the Inquirer account. "They promised never to let something like this happen again," Lerner said. "But when push came to shove, they prayed, with no more attention to that promise than a puff of air."

Defense lawyer Bobby Hoof had argued that Brandon died within three days of coming down with cold and flu symptoms, and there was no evidence of malice, according to AP.

The couple’s seven surviving children are now in foster care.
Should have kept that promise.

From The Huffington Post

About a dozen U.S. children die each year when parents turn to faith healing instead of medicine, typically from highly treatable problems, according to experts. At least one state, Oregon, explicitly banned faith healing as a murder defense after a series of deaths.

The case returns to court next month, and a trial could be scheduled next year. The Schaibles face 20 to 40 years in prison if convicted of third-degree murder.

Their pastor is on record stating what a piece of shit he is by putting all the blame on these parents alone. It seems they weren't deluded enough and so it's all their fault. What a stand up Moral Leader! All in the name of Jesus, it's disgusting!

The Schaibles' pastor, Nelson Clark, has said the couple lost their sons because of a "spiritual lack" in their lives. He has also faulted officials for trying to force his members into "the flawed medical system."

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2013 :  21:32:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

By the way:

(My bold.)
Those two churches are nothing but child murdering conspiracies. Why not use the RICO Act to shut them down, and throw the offenders in prison?

[Edited to spell "conspiracies" correctly.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/21/2013 00:46:52
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  23:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Instead of focusing on how to punish them, people should be focusing on how to prevent this happening to other families. Using a murder charge as a "deterrent" only works if other families are expecting their child to die. These kinds of people wont seek medical advice until its far too late because they are so over-confident.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 08/20/2013 23:48:44
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  00:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Instead of focusing on how to punish them, people should be focusing on how to prevent this happening to other families. Using a murder charge as a "deterrent" only works if other families are expecting their child to die. These kinds of people wont seek medical advice until its far too late because they are so over-confident.
That's actually a good point. But unfortunately, probably nothing else works, either. At least incarceration (without conjugal visitation) prevents those who are in prison from slaughtering more children. If you have better ideas for prevention, I'd like to hear those alternatives. I don't, aside from treating the churches involved as criminal organizations under the RICO Act.

Despite being an atheist, I have no problem with people praying over their children for healing -- as long as they also make certain the kids are getting proper medical attention. I only want to take away what they seem to think is their right to kill, not their right to pray.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.