Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  19:06:38  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just when you thought you had heard everything from Fundieland, they come up with a new one. Native Americans, REPENT FOR THE SINS OF YOUR FATHERS!

[Edited to change title - Dave W.]

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  20:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There used to be a Native American televangelist who claimed that as soon as his faith got strong enough, God would turn him white.

On a different note, can we avoid using the B-word?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  23:55:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fundamentalist Cindy Jacobs spews empty words in a wasteland.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  16:50:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about a coworker he worked with in Virginia years back, who was always talking Jesus to anyone who he could corner. One day they were taking an elevator up in an office building to do some work when an American Indian and his young son got on. So as they were going up this Jesus nut looks down at the kid and asks him "Do you know who 'Jesus' is?". Well, this kid looks up at him and didn't answer. After a bit that guy asks him again "Do you know who 'Jesus' is?" After a moment of just staring at each other the kid speaks up and says "Do you know who 'Grey Wolf' is? Well that Jesus nut was dumb founded and didn't know what to say, so he just shut up.

Touche!

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  18:40:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

This reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about a coworker he worked with in Virginia years back, who was always talking Jesus to anyone who he could corner. One day they were taking an elevator up in an office building to do some work when an American Indian and his young son got on. So as they were going up this Jesus nut looks down at the kid and asks him "Do you know who 'Jesus' is?". Well, this kid looks up at him and didn't answer. After a bit that guy asks him again "Do you know who 'Jesus' is?" After a moment of just staring at each other the kid speaks up and says "Do you know who 'Grey Wolf' is? Well that Jesus nut was dumb founded and didn't know what to say, so he just shut up.

Touche!

Someone needed salve after that burn.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  20:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
story sounds aprocyrphal.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  21:25:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As did the stories in the bible; they had to vote at the Council of Nicea to decide which parts were the "inspired by god" parts and which wasn't.

So what?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  21:32:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

they had to vote at the Council of Nicea to decide which parts were the "inspired by god" parts and which wasn't.

Also apocryphal.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  04:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Originally posted by the_ignored

they had to vote at the Council of Nicea to decide which parts were the "inspired by god" parts and which wasn't.

Also apocryphal.
In what way? The voting by the council? The entire council?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  04:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it needs clarifying, I quoted a simple sentence that any lamb or small child can understand. it should be obvious.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  08:34:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't think it needs clarifying, I quoted a simple sentence that any lamb or small child can understand. it should be obvious.
Ok. Since clarification would reveal a weak argument your fall back is to impugn my intelligence. Nice tactic when most of the readers are members of the choir. Not so effective here. Would you like to try again?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  17:12:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like the brazilian minister (and congressman, much to my chagrin) who thinks black people are sinful by nature and that's why Africa is poor. Because black people are cursed.
He actually said that, out loud, before witnesses. In interviews, on TV. The backlash (most of the brazilian population is black or descendent of blacks) was a glorious thing to see.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  19:05:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Ok. Since clarification would reveal a weak argument your fall back is to impugn my intelligence. Nice tactic when most of the readers are members of the choir. Not so effective here. Would you like to try again?

Try what again? I really don't know how I can make my point any clearer. Any weakness exposed is your inability to understand simple sentences. Are you a lamb?

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  08:15:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by moakley

Try what again? I really don't know how I can make my point any clearer. Any weakness exposed is your inability to understand simple sentences. Are you a lamb?
On fire for Christ, you have now been asked twice for clarification. Your condescending tone is not clarification, nor is it helping.

The request for clarification is this:

What is it about the Council of Nicaea that you find apocryphal?
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  08:55:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

story sounds aprocyrphal.
It's spelled apocryphal not aprocyrphal.
Why thank you, how nice of you to say so. You flatter me but I know you did so unintentionally. Thank you again for thinking I could dream up something that creative on my own, on the spur of the moment, and just when I needed to do so. My equivalent of a baseball grand slam. Just like a broken watch is right twice a day, your kind of right but not really as right as a stopped watch.

When typing up the story in my reply, I called my friend to verify the details who told me the story again, because I wasn't sure if it was "Lone Wolf" or "Grey Wolf" and wanted to get it right. Your kind of right because I did take a little "Artistic License" with one detail, that being it wasn't the little boy who spoke up. As you like to say even that child knew better than to reply to such stupidity but his father, having outgrown his youthful genius, only replied after the question was asked the second time. The Jesus guy did not have a reply for the father. Probably because he had no clue. I didn't either, until hearing this story and my friend had no clue either. It so happened they all got off on the same floor but 2 went left and 2 right. My friend said he caught up to the father and asked him "who is Grey Wolf?" and was told "Grey Wolf is a "spiritual guide" in their beliefs. So my friend learned something about North American tradition which he is half related to.

Believe it or not. Lots of people chose to not believe in the truth. Americans wallow in their delusions. Many people world wide choose to believe in untruths and decree them truths as if reality will comply. They selectively believe based on their own biases and choose to believe some sources above others when sources conflict with the biases they have. Sometimes they believe in delusions because it makes them feel good. For example; You believe lambs can read and understand English, when clearly they can't. And you believe it would be morally correct if "I" raped and then killed someone and your God held my children and grand children (unto the end of time) responsible when they died and sent them all to hell forever. Those two beliefs are clearly ridiculous beyond belief but you chose to believe then any way, so there you go. From what you project to believe I suppose you'll claim lambs and children can clearly see your not delusional while more educated and experienced adults are completely clueless.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  07:27:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Native Americans, REPENT FOR THE SINS OF YOUR FATHERS!
This is exactly the claimed morality that Christians believe in that I find immoral. I find it indefensible and have yet to hear any reasonable explanation how this is moral. How is it that others are held for the sins of others? Of course when Christians refuse to enter into defending their beliefs or walk away for discussions that simply shows that their beliefs are not demonstrably justified, at least by those being asked. Richard Dawkins poses some basic questions to Howard Conder on this very kind of morality that are just NOT answered but are acknowledged as being very good questions. The closes thing Richard get's to explanation is a suggestion that some possible conversation could have occurred between Jesus and God. Even that is offered as speculation.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.