Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  14:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Just when you thought you had heard everything from Fundieland, they come up with a new one. Native Americans, REPENT FOR THE SINS OF YOUR FATHERS!

[Edited to change title - Dave W.]
I would not call her a fundamentalist. Little of what she teaches is actually found in the Bible. There are no Bible passages that teach any of this.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  17:55:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

I would not call her a fundamentalist. Little of what she teaches is actually found in the Bible. There are no Bible passages that teach any of this.
The real issue is not what you think she's not but what you think she is, do you consider her a Christian or a prophet?

I think she's a con artist playing deluded believers in Christ for cash. She a deceiver not a deceived, knows what she's doing and doing it for money. From the looks of it quite successfully. "Self-proclaimed television prophet" yeah right, that's her ticket to cash.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  06:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just when you thought you had heard everything from Fundieland, they come up with a new one. Native Americans, REPENT FOR THE SINS OF YOUR FATHERS!

Believe me, most people who identify as fundamentalists know very little of what is actually in their bible. They just listen to the big-haired 'usurpers of the faith' and take it as pronouncements from Mount Sinai.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  07:06:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would. Fundamentalists often make shit up from wholecloth and claim it is Biblical.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  08:29:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

The real issue is not what you think she's not but what you think she is, do you consider her a Christian or a prophet?

I think she's a con artist playing deluded believers in Christ for cash. She a deceiver not a deceived, knows what she's doing and doing it for money. From the looks of it quite successfully. "Self-proclaimed television prophet" yeah right, that's her ticket to cash.
I agree with you on this. I really doubt she is a christian.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  08:37:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Believe me, most people who identify as fundamentalists know very little of what is actually in their bible. They just listen to the big-haired 'usurpers of the faith' and take it as pronouncements from Mount Sinai.
Maybe it is a definition issue. I see fundamentalists as people who take the bible seriously and believe what it says in context. In my opinion most of American Christianity seems to be made up, from the emergent people to the seeker driven to the Catholics to the flat out bat crazy ideas like Cindy Jacobs. If it is on TV it is most likely made up. "Your best life now" ideas are not at all found in the Bible.

Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  08:38:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

I would. Fundamentalists often make shit up from wholecloth and claim it is Biblical.
I don't disagree with this but I think a christian fundamentalist has a more confined definition.

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  10:01:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't disagree with this but I think a christian fundamentalist has a more confined definition.
In the US, the term fundamentalist usually refers to somebody who believes in biblical inerrancy.

This is subtly different from a literal interpretation of the bible, which would not allow for varied interpretation. Biblical inerrancy is what leads to extra-biblical explanations, such as Canopy Theory.

An excellent book on the subject is Fundamentalism: The Search for Meaning.
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  12:05:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

In the US, the term fundamentalist usually refers to somebody who believes in biblical inerrancy.

This is subtly different from a literal interpretation of the bible, which would not allow for varied interpretation. Biblical inerrancy is what leads to extra-biblical explanations, such as Canopy Theory.

An excellent book on the subject is Fundamentalism: The Search for Meaning.
I believe both in inerrancy and literal interpretation unless the text indicates different like a metaphor or parable etc. People like Cindy Jacobs believe they receive direct revelation from God that is as authoritative as the Bible. This is false and the Bible says direct revelation needs to be compared to the Biblical text to see if it from God. Her own mind comes up with the things she says are from God.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  13:32:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

People like Cindy Jacobs believe they receive direct revelation from God that is as authoritative as the Bible.
Since the Bible is not credible, I'd say Jacobs' alleged revelations are exactly as authoritative as the Bible.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  14:03:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

People like Cindy Jacobs believe they receive direct revelation from God that is as authoritative as the Bible.
Since the Bible is not credible, I'd say Jacobs' alleged revelations are exactly as authoritative as the Bible.

Agree.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  15:35:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ok

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2013 :  22:29:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ok
What an odd response, coming from a literalist inerrancist.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  06:24:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps instead of Fundamentalist we should use the term that members of my religion sometimes use "Fundie" or "Fundinista".

That is those individuals who refer to their belief as Fundamentalist Christianity but show cultish devotion to a charismatic leader and show real ignorance to what their Holy document contains. See Charismatics or Penticostals.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  10:53:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps instead of Fundamentalist we should use the term that members of my religion sometimes use "Fundie" or "Fundinista".

That is those individuals who refer to their belief as Fundamentalist Christianity but show cultish devotion to a charismatic leader and show real ignorance to what their Holy document contains. See Charismatics or Penticostals.
I call them heretics. I would also add the seeker driven theology in with this definition.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.