Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  09:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I'm leaving here in about an hour. There is free internet in the room and I've been set up with a notebook that should work fine this time. (Last years netbook didn't work very well.)

So there it is. You will be hearing from me later today.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  09:44:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a test of the notebook.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  10:48:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It works!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  19:21:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. So the crowd at SWA was nothing like I have ever seen before. But I got on and so did my baggage. I just made the shuttle to the SouthPoint which means I got here as planned and without having to fork out for a cab. Good.

Registration is going slow this year. The buttons aren’t ready, but our name tags are. Anyhow, after spending a bit of time up there, where I will be working tomorrow, I made my way to the Del Mar and hung out with old friends from TAM. Got me a pretty nice sandwich from the deli and just socialized. Most of the names you might not know, but I did spend a good amount of time with Barbara Drescher which was nice. I’m heading back there now, and I have a meeting tonight to go over the kind of stuff we went over last year. Security issues. Just stuff that the staff should keep our eyes out for.
Man. The Australians had to fly for like 22 hours to get here, so it makes my traveling look like Child's play.

Anyhow, I’m here, safe and sound. I’m gonna head back down now.
I’ll check in later tonight.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  19:22:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh. I had problems getting online. But the staff here at the SouthPoint resolved them.I'd have posted earlier if it weren't for that. PC's are strange animals.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  19:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good to hear, Kil.

Is the policy public at all this year?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  00:36:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

All good to hear, Kil.

Is the policy public at all this year?
We had a meeting tonight and at least some of the policy is the same. But there have been some important changes. One of those is that the safety issues are in this year’s packet, with directions on what to do if someone sees or is harassed or involved in some safety issue. This time they know to go to the staff, including volunteers and TAMBassadors. Last year, that was a guessing game, which wasn’t a good thing. It’s in the book that everyone gets. So that’s a big improvement. No one has to guess about what to do. Also the hired guns have this time consulted with hotel security and everyone is on the same page. (No more closet interventions.) If something should occur outside of the TAM area, and we can’t be found, they are told to go to hotel security. I can’t go into too many details about it here, but I’m pretty satisfied that even if DJ hasn’t been talking about the problems, he has been listening. The issue of security is back in the packet where it should have been last year.

The idea posed last year that we are a secret police force is a bunch of hooey. People should know that the staff is informed and will guide them in the right direction, which is a part of our job. This year they will not have to wonder who to go to. It’s in the book.

I had a nice dinner with some people and again hung out at the Del Mar. The real stuff gets going tomorrow. I have to be doing registration at 7:30 in the morning. Sigh… But I only have the registration gig, and the rest of the time I’ll be a TAMBassador. I like that job a lot. TAM can be intimidating to newbie’s, and we help to smooth it out for them. I wish they had those when I started going to TAM.

Oh. I talked for a while with Reed Esau, who started the Skeptic Camps. You can look them up but they are a really great thing. I also brought it up with Barbara. She likes the idea too. What we need to be careful of is to not have it be affiliated with the CFI of the JREF. These are stand alone weekends where skeptics give talks and answer questions. Lay skeptics like most of us are. So we’ll see. It beats the hell out of meetings in the pub and that sort of thing, because they really are community driven skeptical events, with everyone invited to present papers. With such a large community as Los Angeles is, it’s rather a surprise that we haven’t done it yet. They have been a resounding success in other parts of the country.

Anyhow, I think that’s it for now. I have to get up ery early and do the registration stuff. There will also be a lunch for volunteers tomorrow. Randi usually shows up for those. This will be my first, since they usually hold them on Wednesday before I get there.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  04:41:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so people can find it, Reed Esau founded SkeptiCamp.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  10:54:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "How I'm making you jealous 2013"?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  12:45:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "How I'm making you jealous 2013"?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  14:35:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I had a wake-up call at 6:AM and then proceeded to fall back to sleep. I woke and 6:45 and rushed to get out to my registration duties at 7:00. I was running on empty until pity was taken on me and someone ran and got me some coffee.

Anyhow, that went well. It’s funny when a guy like Shermer comes up to the registration booth. He said his name is Michael. Being the smartass that I am I asked if he has a last name to go with that because that’s how the registration packets are ordered.

Anyhow, lots of us were on the tired side and I made a coffee run too, for those on the next shift.

Highlights so far today were about a half hour talk with Ray Hyman. He told me about the founding of “The Zetitec.” That was to morph into Skeptical Inquirer. What he told me was very interesting. There turned out to be a whole lot of contention back then about the way to go, and there were deep rifts. He said that at first, people were recommended that had no business being on the board. To cut to the chase, he pretty much told me that rifts in the community are nothing new, and they only seem to be exaggerated by the internet. But there was always contention.

He also related, from his view, why Randi left. And it’s not exactly the story that Randi tells. Now that’s not to say that they aren’t great friends, because they are. But there was more to it than the CFI not wanting to pay Randi’s legal fees to defend himself against Geller. And so on and so on.

If you ever want to meet one of the founders of the modern skeptical movement, Ray Hyman is the man. He’s open and generous with his time, and tells it like it is, or at least how he sees it.

I also met Susan Blackmore. We talked a bit and I got a photo with her. She made the shooter take it several times because she wanted it to be a good one. She too was a joy to talk with.

I’m waiting for Thor to show up. He should be here this afternoon. Fun!

I’m gonna go kill some time at the Del Mar waiting for the Volunteer lunch.

I’ll check back later…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  21:55:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I’ll check back later…
Well?!?

Dammit, if I can only go to TAM vicariously through you, you'd better update this thread more often than once every 12 hours or so.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  00:41:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lunch was fun. Sure it was at the buffet, but what the hell. Randi was there and several group shots were taken. I’ve been having trouble copying and pasting, and a fellow at lunch helped to sort me out on that. Hopefully the issue is solved. After lunch I just sort of hung out. There wasn't much to do so I didn't do much. Thor hit town and after some missed messages, we hooked up. He was down for some deli food, and having eaten just a few hours before, I settled in with a bagel and Iced tea. He did manage to go to a workshop.

The reception would be in a few hours, and it was time to get some rest. I decided to watch some TV, to kill some time, fell asleep and woke up when the phone rang. It was a message from Thor It was seven and he wanted to meet at the reception, which started at seven. Duh! By the time I got there he pretty much had had enough. I wanted to make the rounds. I bought a beer, talked to a few people, noted that this reception was light compared to the last few years. I saw Sastra (Susan) and we decided to have dinner one night there, as is our way. But we did manage to talk about current controversies and her satisfaction with Harriet Hall’s apology. We will probably get into this stuff more when we have dinner together. I said hello to some people I know. I kinda wanted to stay a little longer, but Thor had been there for almost an hour by the time I arrived and wanted to go get dinner.

We had Mexican.

He retired early, as is his way, and I hung out at the Del Mar. I ran into a guy who wasn't wanted to know what this was all about. (TAM.) I told him and he said he’s all for science but science sometimes gets it wrong. He told me he’s a doctor. I asked what kind and he told me he is a chiropractor. He presented the usual arguments for homeopathy and a host of other things that I pretty much consider crap. I was polite but firm. It amazes me how much these people tell the same story, right down to the conspiracies to keep people sick, and yada yada…

He left and I had some nice conversations with fellow skeptics. One thing about TAM is the socializing with likeminded people. You don’t have to explain what you mean by “skeptic.” Sure there are debates, but all in all, it’s home turf.

Tomorrow the talks begin. (I hate to tell you how many Shermer jokes there are about his talks. It seems that his are the easiest to miss is pretty much the consensus. Oh well…)

Another early morning, so I'm going to wrap this up for now. More later.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  09:28:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm heading to the airport in just a few minutes. The shuttle to Southpoint leaves the airport at 1:30, so I'll get there when I get there....

See you soon!
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  15:35:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Made it, just in time for lunch!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  17:03:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Made it, just in time for lunch!
That's #3. Three forum regulars in attendance. Could this be a first for SFN and TAM?

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.