What're the Worst Verses in the Bible?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  21:08:01  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I found a contender in Deuteronomy 13 (NIV):

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 11 Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.

12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the Lord your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely,[b] both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt, 17 and none of the condemned things[c] are to be found in your hands. Then the Lord will turn from his fierce anger, will show you mercy, and will have compassion on you. He will increase your numbers, as he promised on oath to your ancestors— 18 because you obey the Lord your God by keeping all his commands that I am giving you today and doing what is right in his eyes.

Can anyone top this? lol

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus

Edited by - Machi4velli on 09/20/2013 21:08:47

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  21:27:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elisha is Jeered in 2 Kings 2:
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.
Sticks and stones
May break my bones,
But if you call me bald,
My buddy God will make bears fuck you up.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  23:04:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Elisha is Jeered in 2 Kings 2:
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.
Sticks and stones
May break my bones,
But if you call me bald,
My buddy God will make bears fuck you up.
Well, a large gang of unsupervised boys will often be petty and vindictive boys. And so will God and his prophets.

I think we have to give the bears (in Kings James, described as "two she bears") a pass on this. After all, they were compelled to hurt the boys.

All in all, I enjoyed the wording KJV more:
23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
This of course is a valid lesson for kids. When "Get off my lawn!" just won't do the trick, we old bald guys need to remember Elisha's wonderfully effective curse.

Maybe this NSFW song will help us to remember the destructive might of the Almighty Lord.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/21/2013 23:05:05
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  08:56:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luke 14:26, Jesus turns to people that were following him and says,
If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  11:42:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phew....there's so many 'worse' in that collection of oh-so-many vulgar religious fairy tales. My choice?, for one....
Genesis 1:1. "In the beginning, god created the heavens and the earth."

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  04:52:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." Psalm 137:9 KJV

Happy about killing children, but I guess this is just one of those mysterious ways that, on the surface, seems so heinous.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  07:39:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lord says, “It was my plan to crush him and cause him to suffer. I made his life a guilt offering to pay for sin. (Is. 53:10)

I would say this is one of the worst verses in the bible.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  08:10:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Low unto she, the daughter of any priest, that "she brings him under disgrace, disparages his office, and exposes him to censure, reproach, and ridicule". That can be done by simply speaking the truth with some "priests" today.

Leviticus 21:9
she shall be burnt with fire;
not with hot melted lead poured down her mouth, but with faggots set about her;
I guessing "faggots" must mean burning sticks here, not a bunch of flaming gay guys having to sit upon the girl. Coming from the Bible, I'm not sure why it's not the latter, judging from the mindset of today's bat shit crazy preachers in the USA. "Hot" melted lead is a bit over kill from using just melted lead, I would think.

Edited to add.
Human beings today are clearly more moral than to obey, as they did in the past, the immoral commands of "their" God in the bible. Any idiot should be able to acknowledge that however just as clearly way to may should be ashamed of themselves for their inability to do so.

It has to take a very special kind of cognitive dissonance, a level I am unable to comprehend, to read the Bible for yourself and still deny that the very words in it say what they do. As seen in that other thread "Questions For a Christian" those that believe are in some kind of nuclear powered denial of the facts, right there in the Bible.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 09/23/2013 12:31:12
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  08:49:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
God gave unto Moses the commandment "Thou S hall Not Kill",, except,,,,

(Exodus 21:15 NAB) Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death.

(Leviticus 20:9 NLT) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense.

(Zechariah 13:3 NAB) When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.

(Exodus 22:19 NAB) Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed.

(Leviticus 20:10 NLT) If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.

How about something very special for a Bible God who is one kill'in happy motha fucker? Like killing an entire town if just one person worships another God and kill all the animals while your at it too.
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

Let the blood flowwwww, let's rock and roll.............

Link,,,

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

Kill Followers of Other Religions. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Death for Blasphemy. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

Kill False Prophets. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5 NLT)

Infidels and Gays Should Die (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

Kill Anyone who Approaches the Tabernacle. (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

Kill People for Working on the Sabbath. (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Kill Brats. (2 Kings 2:23-24 NAB)

God Kills the Curious. (1Samuel 6:19-20 ASV)

It goes on and on

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  11:52:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I started jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumping up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the Sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  12:42:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

And I started jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumping up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the Sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Boy, that's a flash from the past.

All this has made me change my mind about God not being able to support the soldiers on both side in a war. I use to say that it's not possible but it's very clear to me now, of course He can. Kill, Kill Kill! Thou shall not kill! Kill, Kill, Kill. Nope, no contradictions here.

Human beings today are clearly more moral than to obey, as they did in the past, the immoral commands of "their" God in the bible. Any idiot should be able to acknowledge that however just as clearly way to may should be ashamed of themselves for their inability to do so but their not.

It has to take a very special kind of cognitive dissonance, a level I am unable to comprehend, to read the Bible for yourself and still deny that the very words in it say what they do. As seen in that other thread "Questions For a Christian" those that believe are in some kind of nuclear powered denial of the facts, right there in the Bible.

Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  17:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the New Testament?

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  17:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

For starters, Matthew 15:4. To me, this little ditty shows in part how morally bankrupt the bible is.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  18:16:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Originally posted by Machi4velli

For starters, Matthew 15:4. To me, this little ditty shows in part how morally bankrupt the bible is.

I think the response to this is typically that Jesus was illustrating that Pharisees are not, as they claim, consistently holding up all traditions of Mosaic law, while not necessarily endorsing it. (Though it appears to me Christians tend to sometimes suggest Jesus says those laws are still good, unless perhaps they mean only in spirit and not literally the same punishments.)

-Giordano Bruno

-Stephen Hawking

-Albert Camus
Edited by - Machi4velli on 09/23/2013 18:17:44
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  22:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jesus is said to be the prince of peace, not from his mouth.

Matt 10:34-35
10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  16:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what they say about shooting the messenger? So let's not have Matthew take all the heat by himself. Luke reports the same damning message from the mislabled "Prince of Peace". A remarkable Jew, born in the middle east 2000 years ago, who's parents named him after a famous Mexican called Jess Martnez when they had no knowledge that Mexico or Mexicans even existed, go figure, another bloody miracle.

"Luke 12:51-53" (quoting Jesus)

Do you think I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.

Right from the Messiah Jesus' mouth, NO PEACE. He brought salvation AND domestic discourse. How else can there be salvation but through domestic "division".

What's up with this?
Genesis 3:8-9 NIV (after Adan&Eve ate you know what)
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, Where are you?

The very same God who created everything like the Stars, Sun, Earth, you name it, can't find Adam in the garden because he's hiding among the trees!?! The same God who supernaturally knows every thought of every person that existed has to call to Adam Where are you?. If I was to adequately roll my eye's for that one they might snap free from their optic nerves and fly into orbit. I assume theists feel that shouldn't be brought up at all and I should simply ignore it like they do. If God the author or whoever put that in there wanted it ignored, why would either bother to put it in the Bible?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.