Empty Force
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  12:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Empty Force" or "EFO" is allegedly a "no-touch" form of martial arts, wherein crackpots masters can disable people without touching them, even stopping their hearts. Think of it as really aggressive therapeutic touch.

Here's a video of one such "master" at an open seminar in Spain. He got informally tested by some local skeptics, and failed completely. He even begged off when one skeptic offered to really punch him.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  17:10:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of George Dillman from years back. Check out his Wiki page for more on his "pressure point" fighting where he claimed he could do light touches to incapacitate you.

Here's excerpt from that page:

National Geographic Channel demonstration

In September 2005, National Geographic Channel's Is It Real? program (episode 20) asked for a demonstration of his "Knockout" Chi (a no-touch knockout technique), during which Kyusho-jitsu and Small Circle JuJitsu instructor Leon Jay was unable to knock-out Luigi Garlaschelli, an Italian skeptical investigator from CICAP. Dillman's explanation of the failure was as follows:

“The skeptic was a totally non-believer. Plus – I don't know if I should say that on film – but if the guy had his tongue in the wrong position in the mouth, that can also nullify it [Qi power]. You can nullify it – you can nullify a lot of things. In fact, you can nullify it if you raise those two big toes! If I say I'm going to knock you out, and you raise one toe, and push one toe down....I can't knock you out. And then, if I go to try again, you reverse it. If you keep doing this, I won't knock you out.[10][11]

These guys would never have the stones to show their face(s) at an MMA tournament.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  17:28:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that Dillman NatGeo clip is on YouTube.

And you reminded me of another video of a "Kiai Master" who believed his own hand-waving baloney so much he bet $5,000 he could win against any MMA fighter, and lost badly. The hand-waving is literal, by the way.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  17:30:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The students are drinking the kool aid. I think I saw one demo where a guy would knock someone out without touching them, he would do like a dragonball Z type energy blast and the student would swoon. It's hard to tell if these people are just helping their master save face or if they buy into it so much they actually faint.

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  17:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That video is hilarious.

I remember back in the mid '80s when the Gracies and the Machados and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu just started getting noticed. In my opinion, BJJ and MMA is the best thing to happen to "martial arts" in terms of debunking all the mystical clap-trap that used to be rampant in the various disciplines.

Unfortunately, we can see that there will always be people like these clowns.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  17:44:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It's hard to tell if these people are just helping their master save face or if they buy into it so much they actually faint.
Two words: Benny Hinn.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  21:58:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Two words: Benny Hinn.
Perfectly placed link Dave.

Like the head on the left Benny Hinn is laughing all the way to the bank, with their money. Maybe the head on the right should fall over. I suppose with the euphoria felt believing your saved and going to heaven it's worth the money.

I can't help but ask why does GOD need "seed money".

I know! To buy a couple of Lear Jets for "Ba, Ba, Ba, Benny and the Jets".

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.