Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  18:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bwahahahaha!:
Trump has accomplished the incredible feat of making Democrats long for George W. Bush, who they think by a 62-14 spread will end up having been a better President than Trump.
By the way, listen carefully to the Republican congresscritters regarding Obamacare. If they talk about what "the American people" want, they ought to be talking about this:
We find that with Trump in office now, the Affordable Care Act is reaching record levels of popularity with 45% of voters supporting it to 41% who are opposed. Only 30% of voters think the best plan is to repeal the act and start over, while 61% would prefer Congress to keep the Affordable Care Act and fix parts that aren't working.
My bold.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  20:12:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too many polls. No one cares about popular opinion until about a year before the next election. Matters like this aren't for the plebiscite to decide, that's how you end up with disasters like Brexit, 4% gaps have been proven to be utterly meaningless given how fast swings can occur. The whole purpose of politicians is to deal with things like Affordable care and decide what is best on the people's behalf. If this isn't working, the American people need to seriously rethink their entire political system, not just healthcare.

Go to Top of Page

Christian Hedonist
Skeptic Friend

99 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  11:39:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Christian Hedonist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Right, but how does this mean others are not human?
They have no value, according to God. Neither value in trade for firstborn sons nor value in silver. How much more dehumanizing does God need to be?
Seems to me it is more demeaning to actually have a value on your life. You are reading into the text.

In the end this conversation will not change your mind on the abortion issue. You don't know when a human begins life yet you are ok with abortions at any early stage. Look at an 8-10 week fetus, all vital organs are in place, it is much more than ponds scum or a clump of cells.

I believe the only thing that will change your mind is by god choosing to save you by giving you faith through the gospel message. I assume you know the gospel message of grace and repentance and have rejected it.

It is nice to know that a president finally has the guts to stand up for the unborn and say the March for Life has his support and sending Pence to speak. Maybe through Trump we can stop this atrocity.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  20:50:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Christian Hedonist

Seems to me it is more demeaning to actually have a value on your life.
Hey, it's your God who set the prices. 5 shekels of silver per head.

You are reading into the text.
How so?

In the end this conversation will not change your mind on the abortion issue. You don't know when a human begins life yet you are ok with abortions at any early stage. Look at an 8-10 week fetus, all vital organs are in place, it is much more than ponds scum or a clump of cells.
You are confusing biology and philosophy. It's a category error to see a fetus and budding algae as somehow fundamentally different.

I believe the only thing that will change your mind is by god choosing to save you by giving you faith through the gospel message.
Were God to do that, he would necessarily deprive me of my free will to choose.

I assume you know the gospel message of grace and repentance and have rejected it.
"Grace" is not a term that I associate with your God at all. And I require something to repent for before I'll feel the need for repentance. I reject the notion that I am somehow responsible for the Fall, or that the "sins" listed in the Bible are anything but arbitrary nonsense mandated by a bully.

It is nice to know that a president finally has the guts to stand up for the unborn...
That's funny. There's been no shortage of Presidents opposed to abortion:

Obama wanted to spread contraception and solid sex education far and wide to reduce unwanted pregnancies and thus reduce abortions, but was foiled by ridiculous puritanical ideas of how ignorance and fear would keep people from having sex.

W. wanted to ban all abortions except in the cases of rape, incest, or when mom's life was in danger. He supported all sorts of halfway measures trying to get there.

Bill Clinton's pastor believed that the Bible taught that fetuses only became people when they took their first breath, but that abortion still sucked. Clinton said:
I believe we should all work to reduce the number of abortions. That is why I have worked to reduce teen pregnancy, remove barriers to cross-racial adoption, and provide tax credits to families willing to adopt. Still, I believe the ultimate choice should remain a matter for a woman to decide in consultation with her conscience, her doctor, and her God.

Bush the Elder pro-choice until 1980, then fell in line with Reagan.

Reagan pushed for a constitutional amendment that would have banned all abortion except when necessary to save the life of the mother. He also created the "Global Gag Rule" that Trump just re-instated.

Carter believed "that abortion is wrong and that the government should try to discourage it by providing better sex education, family planning, and adoption procedures."

Etc.

Maybe through Trump we can stop this atrocity.
God could stop it, but in His wisdom refuses to. Do you think Trump is more wise than God?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  21:35:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

If this isn't working, the American people need to seriously rethink their entire political system, not just healthcare.
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

Seriously, I've been saying for a long time that what this country needs is a nation-wide mandate for civics classes in all primary, secondary and undergraduate school years. I had to take English classes for 12 years, but only a few semesters on how government is supposed to function (and much less on how it operates in practice). Many of the Founders envisioned a nation of informed voters, serious about the issues, not people who would protest against the ACA with signs that read, "Keep the government out of my Medicare."

So now we have a President who is far more concerned with how he is portrayed by the media than with good governance, surrounding himself with people who also don't know squat about how to govern, and cheered on by people like Christian Hedonist who think their particular minority-view hobby horse should be the law of the land while simultaneously bemoaning how much power the Federal government has. I have little doubt that this is the result of people with vast civics knowledge and deep pockets working for decades to take advantage of the relative political ignorance of the average citizen (which is one reason why they try to defund public education all the damn time), in order to get the government they want, and not a government of, by and for the People.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  22:27:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good job, ThinkProgress.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  22:44:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, Trump's immigration EO has been disastrous to students, professionals and families. Resident aliens who, for example, started a career here and bought a house and went back to their original country to tidy up for a permanent move here now find themselves unable to return to the U.S.A., and if the ban lasts long enough, they'll lose both their job and their home. Trump is ruining lives.

And not just the lives of people with green cards. His massive net caught at least one member of the U.S. military.

And for what? 16 of the 9/11 terrorists came from Saudi Arabia, two from the U.A.E., one from Egypt and one from Lebanon, from none of which Trump did ban or temporarily block immigration. Omar Mateen was born in the U.S.. Nidal Hasan was also a U.S. citizen. Muhammad Abdulazeez became a U.S. citizen 12 years before he shot up the recruiting centers in Chattanooga. Alton Nolen was a born-and-bred American. The Tsarnaev brothers identified as Chechen and were definitely born in ex-Soviet countries. Ibragim Todashev was Chechen. Abdulhakim Muhammad was born Carlos Bledsoe in Memphis. Naveed Haq was Pakistani. Syed Farook was a U.S. citizen and Tashfeen Malik was a lawful permanent resident from Pakistan.

On the other hand, Abdul Artan was born in Somalia, moved as a refugee to Pakistan at age nine, then came to the U.S. on a refugee visa seven years later and became a legal permanent resident here. Coming from Pakistan, was his vetting "extreme" enough for Trump? Or would he have been blocked because he was born in Somalia?

So out of the 32 people who have committed Islamic-based terrorism in the U.S.A. since 2001, only one was here as a refugee and he didn't manage to kill anyone.

Trump is engaged in security theater. It looks like he's doing something to protect us, but he's just making things more inconvenient for lots of people.

What's worse is that this is security theater that LBJ banned. Groups are already engaged in lawsuits because it is illegal to ban immigration based on country of origin.

One judge has already blocked the U.S. government from deporting the targeted people who've already landed in U.S. airports, but they're still stuck in the airports.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  00:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only that, but this has to be good for ISIS recruiting efforts. Tump is showing the world that regardless of who they are, being muslim is the crime.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  09:55:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adler on the EO:
When Department of Justice attorneys go into court to defend the policy, they will not be able to maintain that this policy reflects careful review of the relevant security concerns or that administration lawyers gave due consideration to potential objections and relevant legal or constitutional constraints on the executive branch’s conduct. They won’t be able to say those things because they are not true — and judges will notice. Issuing orders that can upend people’s lives without conducting the most basic review is practically the definition of “arbitrary and capricious” government action. To quote Wittes again:”it is most emphatically not good news to have a White House that just makes decisions with no serious thought or interagency input into what those decisions might mean. In fact, it’s really dangerous.” This is not how you “make America great again.”

Here’s some consolation for Trump’s critics and the loyal opposition. If the drafting and implementation of this EO is any indication of how the Trump Administration plans to conduct its affairs, this is good news for those who wish to oppose Administration policy. Many of the things the Trump Administration wishes to do to reverse Obama Administration policies, particularly those embodied in duly promulgated regulations, will require careful and patient lawyering. The failure to properly vet and flyspeck administrative actions will leave them vulnerable to legal challenge. This may be small consolation to those who may be affected by the Administration’s actions in the meantime, but it is something to keep in mind.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  18:44:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, goody: Kellyanne Conway thinks that reporters who "talked smack" about Trump during the campaign should have been fired. 'Cause screw the First Amendment.

And apparently, refusing to mention Jewish people on Holocaust Remembrance Day (like Trump failed to) is an old anti-semite trick. They claimed to want to remember all the people who suffered, not just one group, but the fact is that all the other people killed by the Nazis put together don't add up to the number of Jews killed by the Nazis, and that the "final solution" purported to end "the Jewish problem." So we can perhaps add "Holocaust Denier" to Trump's resumé.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  19:13:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W....but the fact is that all the other people killed by the Nazis put together don't add up to the number of Jews killed by the Nazis, ...

Some estimates put the total number of concentration camp victims at 15 million, so it's possible that there were more other victims than Jews. But you also have to realise that if they mentioned every group that was persecuted, they would have to mention homosexuals. And we can't have that band of perverts getting any shred of sympathy, right?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  09:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

And we can't have that band of perverts getting any shred of sympathy, right?
Right. Screw those guys.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  09:49:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trump claimed (after only two days!) that his immigration EO is a yuge success.

He's right, if he means it's a huge success for the jihadists.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  10:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trump is an overacheiver:
Here’s how many days after their election it took various presidents to achieve majority disapproval in the Gallup poll:

Reagan: 727
Bush I: 1336
Clinton: 573
Bush II: 1205
Obama: 936

Trump: 8

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  21:04:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Trump is an overacheiver:
Here’s how many days after their election it took various presidents to achieve majority disapproval in the Gallup poll:

Reagan: 727
Bush I: 1336
Clinton: 573
Bush II: 1205
Obama: 936

Trump: 8

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds.