Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PruplePanther
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  12:21:32  Show Profile Send PruplePanther a Private Message
Food is REALLY important. You are what u eat and all the meat that i eat is fed geneticallly modifyed food. Ucky GM soybeans. Are they good for the meat i eat? Don't know. FAT is everywhere but how bad is it for u? Don't know. Even mushrooms come under fire from Dave and Kil.

Where to be skeptic about food? Medicine? Ugh.

Can "Medicine" be made to "Medicine and Food?" Or something?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

edited to specify 'ucky GM soybeans' even tho i don't know if the GM made them even uckier than they already are.

"If I don't know where we are, I can't plot a course home." Major Carter, SG-1

Edited by - PruplePanther on 12/01/2003 13:05:07

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  13:17:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I like chitterlings. Sadly, I can't eat very many because of the fat content. Even more sadly, I'm planning to cook 10# of 'em for my motorcycle club's Christmas party, and can only pig out a little bit.

Fat is indeed everywhere; there's no avoiding it. There is a reason for this: it is the fat that gives meat most of it's flavor, therefore our meat animals heve been selectivly bred to carry as much of it as possible. Also. a fat hog will bring in more money than a lean one.

Compare a domestic swine with a wild one. The wild hog carries a lot of it's weight on it's shoulders and it's hind quarters tend to be relitivly small. It also lacks a lot of mid-body length and girth. And it is lean and mean, exactly the opposit of 'Babe'. And whilst you're about it, compare a hereford or angus steer and any other wild bovine. The same holds for fowl; chickens and pheasants for example.

Soy beans are excellent an animal feed, and not too shabby for humans in some of it's more processed forms. Kudzu is also a good feed and I don't understand why it's not used. It's all the other crap that is mixed into the feed, including ground up, dead animals, etc, that is all but posionous. And, as the animals are confined at the last in a feed lot and not moving around much, they tend to put on the lard.

Yes, the amount of fat we eat is bad for you. It adds to your girth and plugs up your arteries; a high price to pay for having a little delicious grease on your chin, eh?. How do you avoid fat? Short of becomming a vegan, you don't. You can only pick out the piece of meat that has the least amount grey in it, and avoid the fouler grease pits like Mickey D's (all of these crap chutes shout about how wonderfuly juicey their suicide burgers are. Guess what that 'juice' is....

Even poultry, especally ducks and geese, and fish have a certain fat content.

But hey, who wants to live forever? Bone appytite!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  17:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
If anything, changing the "Medicine" folder name to "Health" would broaden the topics there about as much as possible.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  21:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
"Health" works for me.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  00:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PruplePanther
Even mushrooms come under fire from Dave and Kil.

Mushrooms! Oh NO!!! I love mushrooms, what did they say?
I wouldn't trust anything posted on the Internet. Do your own research. And just don't pick any mushrooms growing in the wild, unless you know what they are.
Plants have been tampered with for a long, long time so if that's what you are worried about, it's way past doing anything about it now, I guess.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  04:49:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hey Snake (what's with this Woody persona, anyway?), I found a two puffballs in a neighbor's yard as big as softballs, a couple of weeks ago. YUM!!. I also hunt morles, or used to. I will not add that fly amanita, dried and a tiny bit smoked with a little reefer....,no. I'm not gonna go there. That job has been finished, so I don't have to scramble my brains with that anymore.

So don't ask, and I'll not tell.

Edited: don't ask........

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/02/2003 04:51:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  11:38:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Woody wrote:
quote:
Mushrooms! Oh NO!!! I love mushrooms, what did they say?
It's over here, Woody.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  11:58:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Ohhhhhh, I really like the idea of changing the name to Health. How about Health & Medicine or is Health better?

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  12:36:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'd go with just "Health," since medicine clearly falls under that umbrella. It can be clarified in the folder "blurb."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  12:59:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
K.I.S.S., @tomic. K.I.S.S.

'Health' is excellent. Anything more would be redundant, methinks.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  13:57:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I wrote:
quote:
It can be clarified in the folder "blurb."
So as to not make suggestions without offering possible solutions... The "blurb" for "Medicine" right now is: "Quack medicine, homeopathic remedies, faith healing, magnetic shoes and psychic surgery." My first draft at changing it for a renaming to "Health" would be: "Discuss health, drugs, alternative medicine, quackery, genetics, diet, etc - human or otherwise." Wow. Being so short-winded is difficult, to say the least.

By the way, is it possible to get the "blurbs" to show up on the individual folder pages (for example, here), too?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  15:56:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I wrote:
quote:
It can be clarified in the folder "blurb."
So as to not make suggestions without offering possible solutions... The "blurb" for "Medicine" right now is: "Quack medicine, homeopathic remedies, faith healing, magnetic shoes and psychic surgery." My first draft at changing it for a renaming to "Health" would be: "Discuss health, drugs, alternative medicine, quackery, genetics, diet, etc - human or otherwise." Wow. Being so short-winded is difficult, to say the least.

By the way, is it possible to get the "blurbs" to show up on the individual folder pages (for example, here), too?

Nothing is harder to write than a vinette. Enjoy!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  16:09:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
DaveW:
Discuss health, drugs, alternative medicine, quackery, genetics, diet, etc

Perhaps simply "medicine" would cover both drugs and alternative medicine. How about this?

Discuss health, medicine, quackery, genetics, diet and legislation, etc.

I added legislation. I'm not so sure about the order here, or if it's an improvement on what Dave suggested. Thoughts?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  16:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Kil wrote:
quote:
Perhaps simply "medicine" would cover both drugs and alternative medicine.
Given the number of people who are rabidly anti-drug, yet pro-alternative medicine, I think naming them both is necessary, at least within a short description of the folder.

I like the "legislation" addition (and had been thinking about putting "the FDA" in my first draft), but also like my "human or otherwise" ending, since veterinary health quackery abounds, as well.

Of course, we could put a "sticky" in the folder itself, describing the purpose and extent of the discussions to be found there in much more detail (making what's in the blurb largely irrelevant). I'll start drafting that, too...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  19:16:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

But hey, who wants to live forever? Bone appytite!

Short story:
That's what my aunt said ('we all have to go sometime!') when I tried to tell her of the un-joys of smoking. (I've hated that awful smell since I was very young, having to put up with my fathers disgusting cigar smoke all over the house..YUK - End of editorial).
Anyhow....when she got cancer, she tried everything in the world to live! I ask you, why did she go to the City of Hope for them to help, if she didn't care about living? She was so ill, it was horrible to see her waste away. Who wants that? Ok, who wants to live forever.....that's right but, live a pleasant life as free from disease as possible.
Snake

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  19:34:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hey Snake (what's with this Woody persona, anyway

Hey Filthy, buddy!
You might be sorry you asked
Kil might want to read this also, since he wants to know about my mind
Although I liked having the name Snake (difficult to get on many sites) it had 2222 posts. So I tried getting the name 22 Twain, which I have on this site but can't use (hello @), not able to acsess.
Numbers! When I go to my bank, the tellers know me already. I have to even out the account all the time to make them end in the proper numbers. 0's and 5's are best. If the numbers are 'off' (uneven) it bothers me. 2222 is so semritical. Even though I'm anti-semrict.
Wanted to leave that number on there at least for a while. So pretty to look at.
Don't you make words out of licence plates? Makes me crazy when I drive, can't stop reading them. Like to see the ones with 'good' numbers. And on cash register reciets, if I buy something that totals up to a 'fun' number I get all happy. Don't get me started on street addresses.....
Woody is my dog, next to this guy who sings in my favorite band, I love him so much. The guy in the band I worship but they are both important to me. So that's why I choose his name.
Hey! Makes sense to me.
You had to ask!

quote:

So don't ask, and I'll not tell.

Edited: don't ask........

Ok, won't ask. But it's ok if you are gay.

www.Carabao.net
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.