Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  14:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Have fun on your WESTPAC Boron. I think if you get to Australia its, Perth or Darwin. I think. But, enjoy your 12 on 12 off, etc...

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  11:23:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Just in case anyone is wondering, Boron10 is "somewhere in the pacific." This was sent to me over a week ago so don't even try to plot his course. He reports that:
quote:
We left Guam several days ago, and have been transmitting and running drills the entire time since then. This is the first real time I've had to take a short break, and I am actually sacrificing sleep right now. OK, I'm taking a break from studying (which is interfering with my sleep).

Anyhow, he is doing fine...

I will update you from time to time with what info I can (that won't get him in trouble.)

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  22:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
Yeah he called me on the phone about a week and a half ago at like 730am PST and I was in the shower. DOH.

Left a funny message though. Sounds like he is liking his job.

He gets more and more like a true sailor. The more he bitches about his work, the more you know he really enjoys it.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  20:04:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Thanks for all the support, guys!

I am in Guam right now. Turns out we're not going to Australia after all, but I did get to see Singapore. I also visited Japan (but we had so little time off that I didn't get to go anywhere), Guam, and ... Guam. I have no real idea where we are off to next: I am a Mushroom (like the the Beatles' song, I am the Walrus, or Simon and Garfunkle, "I am a Rock").

My daily schedule is less "12 on, 12 off." Instead, it's 6 hours of watch, 6 hours of work, 6 hours of personal time (sleep, shower, etc), repeat. Doesn't add up, eh? We learn not to question things like that ....

Anyway, I'll try to keep in touch!
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  09:14:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Ok, Boron, guess the guys on the carriers have a better schedule than you. Isn't that kind of rotating schedule hard on all of you?

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  17:15:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
If I remember correctly from my own stint in the Navy, one's duty rotation has more to do with one's particular job rating than the ship to which one is assigned. For instance, a Boatswain's Mate may have a different duty rotation than, say, an Electronics Technician.

A word of caution to Boron: don't believe anything you hear until it comes from official channels. Rumors run rampant on Navy ships.

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  18:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Great to hear from ya, Boron! And I sympathise; I've pulled more than a few port & starboard watches myself. Sleep becomes a luxery.

Do you get any good poker games going when payday's at sea?

Hang in, bro.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  21:07:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin

If I remember correctly from my own stint in the Navy, one's duty rotation has more to do with one's particular job rating than the ship to which one is assigned. For instance, a Boatswain's Mate may have a different duty rotation than, say, an Electronics Technician.

A word of caution to Boron: don't believe anything you hear until it comes from official channels. Rumors run rampant on Navy ships.

Ok, what the hell would I know in any case, at the time I was in the Marines felt that women couldn't float.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  07:24:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Boron10 is back. Naturally, having been gone for 6 months he is busy now with the logistics of living. Getting stuff turned back on, that sort of thing.

What a sight it was to see his Sub come in. It was quite an event. I have picts...

Tim gave me and Zachary a tour of the sub. Lots of small hallways leading to many rooms with buttons and screens and pipes and gizmos in them. I kept wondering, what would happen if I pushed this or that button? Periscopes are very cool. I want one! It is hard to imagine what it would be like on the sub with a full crew since it seemed cramped to me with only a few crew abroad. On this point I do not exaggerate. I just cannot see how they all fit without killing each other. Not one bit of space was not used for something. How a full crew are supposed to navigate through and around all that technology and stuff is beyond me. But they do it. I know because they all came back.

Anyhow, I am sure Boron has will have more to say about his trip. Just wanted you all to know that he is back and safe...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  13:00:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Ok, so I'm back now, umm... lessee...
quote:
Originally posted by Trish
Ok, Boron, guess the guys on the carriers have a better schedule than you. Isn't that kind of rotating schedule hard on all of you?
Yup. I never really got used to it.
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin

That is probably true on surface ships. On submarines, we are usually 3-section; however, if we have enough manning we will try to ge some people into a 4-section rotation (6 hours on, 6 hours work, 12 hours off). I was fortunate enough to experience that for a couple weeks.
quote:
Umm.. unfortunately, I am the official channels.
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Do you get any good poker games going when payday's at sea?
Nah, I was just a nub until a couple days ago; (Non-Useful Body: somebody who has not finished his submarine qualification progress. This usually takes a year or more) they wouldn't let me play poker because I was still trying to qualify.

Anyway, in a while when I get my computer up and running again and I have some time to do so, I will start catching up on the site and I'll let y'all know some of the interesting things I did this last half year.

-Edited for spelling and parenthetical annotation
Edited by - Boron10 on 08/04/2004 13:04:21
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  13:57:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yay, the big B-10 is back!

And not a moment too soon, either. My religion has been unmoderated for so long that I fear I've fallen into herecy, blasphemy, aposty, and..... Oh. Wait. All that stuff is my religion. Oh. Wait. I don't have a religion. Hmph.

Sorry 'bout the false alarum.

Welcome home!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.