Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  13:53:16  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
"Everybody was blowing some balloons and we noticed that this image came from the balloon," said Fuentes. "And everybody was agreeing that it looked like the Virgin Mary."

On closer inspection, Fuentes says he noted that the image was more than just a possible defect on a balloon.

"That's what I thought in the beginning and I tried to erase it and I couldn't. I even tried to put some saliva on it and it didn't go away."

http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=2242527&nav=0w0vQRHe

See, this can't be anything short of a miracle. The image has withstood saliva.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie

Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/03/2004 13:53:47

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  15:59:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Yeah, geewhiz - it survived the spit test. It really must be the Virgin Mary!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  22:55:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
These twits that see the virgin Mary all over the place are so resisant to reality that it's impossible to convince them there is nothing supernatural going on.

This: http://www.tampabayskeptics.org/v9n4rpt.html was "discovered" on a building not to far from my house.

I caused traffic on one of the USA's most dangerous roads to be worse than usual for months.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Skyhawk

33 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  23:32:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Skyhawk a Private Message
Im having a hard time seeing if something looks remotely human on that balloon. WTF? What image?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  02:13:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
All balloons are not created equally. In some few, the thickness of the skin will vary slightly in spots, causing irregular 'images' to appear when it is blown up. From the picture, I don't see anything that looks even vaguly like a woman. I guess ya hadda be there.

The question now is; what's to be done with the sacred decoration and the holy wind within it? Seems a shame somehow, to hang it out with the vulgarian, plain ones.

I know! Let's pop it and put an end to this nonsense, for a little while, anyway.

I wonder exactly how many images of VM have turned up over the years. They've been spotted in everything except a cowpie and all but been worshiped by the more hysterical of the believers. There must have been thousands. Toss in weeping paintings and statues, and phony stigmata, and the number goes up like a bottle rocket. Some place in Australia has just recently gotten over a sniveling statue. Or at least I think they're over it.

Note to self: Virgin Mary in cowpie as April Fool's gag?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  02:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

All balloons are not created equally. In some few, the thickness of the skin will vary slightly in spots, causing irregular 'images' to appear when it is blown up.
Did you think we needed an explanation?
quote:
I wonder exactly how many images of VM have turned up over the years. They've been spotted in everything except a cowpie and all but been worshiped by the more hysterical of the believers. There must have been thousands. Toss in weeping paintings and statues, and phony stigmata, and the number goes up like a bottle rocket. Some place in Australia has just recently gotten over a sniveling statue. Or at least I think they're over it.

Note to self: Virgin Mary in cowpie as April Fool's gag?

We went to see the Virgin Mary on a tortilla in New Mexico on a trip to get dark skies to see the great Leonids meteor storm. The famous tortilla was listed in a chamber of commerce pamphlet. But, alas, it was no longer there. And the towns people we asked didn't even know it had ever been there.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  03:22:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Did you think we needed an explanation?

Obviously somebody does, notably the perhaps otherwise sensible folks making a big deal of it. I live to serve.

I recall reading about the tortilla, but don't remember the exact details. I wonder what the 'shelf life' for something like that might be. You'd think it'd go moldy after a while, unless preserved, and maybe that's why you didn't get to see it. Or maybe somebody wraped it around some fixin's and ate it.

Mmmmm, Virgin Mary burrito with green chili.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  08:32:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Skyhawk

Im having a hard time seeing if something looks remotely human on that balloon. WTF? What image?

Personally, I think it looks more like the Virgin Mary's private parts than anything else.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/04/2004 08:32:42
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  09:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:

After tens of seconds of intense scrutiny, I have concluded that the image is actually the fetus of "Barney", the large annoying guy in a purple dinosaur suit. The evil balloon must be destoyed in fire, then the ashes sealed in a titanium container, then buried in the deepest hole we can dig.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  11:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
OMG, H. Humbert, that's exactly what I saw first!

True story: When I was in college, I baked my mom some egg custard with cinnamon and nutmeg in a layer on top. As it baked, the cinnamon/nutmeg layer separated and started to look a little (a LITTLE!) like a face. Being a consummate smartaleck, I looked in the oven and started screaming, "It's JESUS! It's Jesus in the custard! Mom, come quick!"

She nearly peed her pants laughing. What can I say? We're a twisted family.
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  16:01:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
The fourth picture from the top on the team4news page (the closeup of the "image") looks to me like one of the troll dolls that were popular back when I was in grade school.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  03:44:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
Hmm, yes, to hell with Ockham's razor, this is clearly not a defect in the balloon, as would be the most likely answer. No, this is obviously irrefutable proof of The One True God and the Bible. Oh, and Noah's Ark, too. Seriously this is like an Onion story, isn't it?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  11:21:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I think it looks like the back view of a bird, the top circle of course is the head, then the body, and the bottom section where you would expect Mary's feet is the tail. Unless Mary was a mermaid, those are not her feet (and I wouldn't be surprised if that became another Creationist claim).

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  06:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Nah, I gotta agree with Mr. Humbert.

I showed it to my wife. I said, "Bebe', you come see, yeah. What's dat look like in dat balloon?"

She didn't even think about it. My little Cajun sweetie said "Well, dat be a minou, cher. What you tink? You forget already?"

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2004 :  13:42:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
"That's what I thought in the beginning and I tried to erase it and I couldn't. I even tried to put some saliva on it and it didn't go away."

The guy spit on the Holy Mother? Jesus is going to kick his as straight to hell when he shows up at the pearly gates.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  12:43:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Now she's on the wall of an underpass. And the stain still looks more like private parts than a whole person.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.