Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  21:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Okay, folks. It didn't work last year, but I'm hoping for a better turnout this year. Better than zero shouldn't be too difficult, should it?

Make some predictions for what will happen in 2005. The "glaringly obvious prediction" joke has been done to death, so please avoid it (for example, "stocks will rise and fall"). Also, no predictions about yourselves ("I will get cancer"), and especially none which you can bring to life ("I will die horribly").

There is, actually, a serious reason for doing this. If we can develop a better long-term track record for predicting the future than the "professional" psychics, too bad for them. Please keep that in mind if you post.

And so, I predict that in 2005, an entirely new kind of human infection by a micro-organism will make the national news, much like "flesh-eating bacteria" ate their way into the public mind not so long ago. And no, I'm not talking about "bird flu," since it's already made the news.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

way

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  22:42:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send way a Private Message
I can push the record right now with one...

Proof or evidence or at least better clues (whatever) that life either exists or has existed someplace besides this planet.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  22:48:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
OK, Dave:

A less seriouss one-- I predict that the NHL will not resolve its labor dispute before cancelling the 2004-05 season. Furthermore, it will only be resolved if labor accepts a type of salary cap. There.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  23:25:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Yankees will make it to the world series, then lose.
VT is going to win the ACC two years in a row in football
We will still be in Iraq

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  03:50:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
A number of famous people will die in 2005:
* The pope
* Boris Jeltsin

Dick Cheney will suffer another heart attack but will miraculously survive.

China's economic growth will differ signigicantly from earlier forcasts.[1]

There will be political turmoil in western Europe due to the rise of right-wing extremism.

The UN will express concern regarding the human rights situations in a number of countries, but no action will be taken.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  04:27:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Rumsfeld will be forced out of office (at last!) -- is that one too obvious?

A military draft, perhaps under another name, will be put into place -- another obvious one.

Justice Renquist will either retire or die -- I'm going for the easy ones, here.

The conflict in Iraq will escalate considerably. An election will be held and there will an attempt on the life of the winner, probably by one of his staff or a body guard.

The religious right will finally get the Ten Commandments put up in public buildings using the 'basis of our laws' flim-flam, but this will be the zeneth of their accomplishments. They will not get any form of creationism taught in secular schools beyond pasting stickers in science texts. Toward the end of the year, their political power will show a slight decline.

Stem cell research will make great strides in treating spinal cord injuries, at least partally healing some of them, in China or Europe; most likely China.

Syliva Browne will not be tested by Randi.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  06:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The price of dollar will fall to reasonable rates (haha, that's what I call wishful thinking).

The euro's value will increase dramatically. EU will increase in power, though that will also increase the chances of turmoil.

Greece will burn (ooo, creepy).

Brazil's going to sink (though that's kinda obvious), but will recover and become more respected in some areas. The army will be on the streets. However, the researches in the medical field will fly through the roof. We'll discover something. Something big, probably related to stem cell research.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  10:35:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I predict the US dollar will continue its slide against foreign currency due to increasing deficit spending. I also predict that angry republican deficit hawks will finally break ranks and turn on Bush. (This may seem obvious but so far Bush has been able to keep them in line…)

I predict that the neo-con influence will rise again and the state department will be further marginalized due to Condilisa Rice's leadership. Many more top state department officials will tender their resignations and write books.

There will be a brain drain of American scientists to more science friendly countries. Especially in areas like biotechnology. (This is already happening but the increase in flight will cause a crisis at universities and research centers.)

Alternative medicine will attract many more “customers” and may even overtake evidence-based medicine in many areas of treatment.

Insurance companies will continue to expand benefits to cover homeopathy and other quack therapies due to the popularity of the treatments and as a way to save money.

The FDA will have a very bad year. Congress will have to re-think the way the FDA is funded and heads will roll…

The new age and the religious right will continue to prosper and grow because instant answers are more palatable than cold logic in times of inscucurity. Critical thinking will not become the default mode for evaluating claims of fact in 2005. And, in fact, we will slip ever closer to a new dark age…

Happy New Year, Skeptics…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  12:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
I'll predict something that should be happening VERY shortly: OU will stomp all over USC in the National Championship.

On second thought, it won't be a "stomp," but OU will win.

tk
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  13:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Forgot one:

VT will win the Sugar Bowl on January 3rd, 27-14.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  16:29:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tkster

I'll predict something that should be happening VERY shortly: OU will stomp all over USC in the National Championship.

On second thought, it won't be a "stomp," but OU will win.

tk

I'll counter-predict that OU loses in their second-straight over-hyped bowl sham National Championship game-- this time against USC.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  17:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, now! With counter-predictions we might cover all the bases ("gee, I predict that no new kind of infection will make the 2005 news"), but we limit our success rate to 50%. Actually, we'd nail it at precisely 50%, but it's no fun that way.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  17:38:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Hey, now! With counter-predictions we might cover all the bases ("gee, I predict that no new kind of infection will make the 2005 news"), but we limit our success rate to 50%. Actually, we'd nail it at precisely 50%, but it's no fun that way.

Right, right. But I felt so guilty having SFN making such a bad prediction (, tkster) that I just had to offer a more reasoned view. In the future (uhhhhh...) I'll refrain and let previous predictions have priority...

(I now sit prepared to eat my words come January...)
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 12/18/2004 17:39:25
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  18:13:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I predict:

1. Bush names atleast one, possibly two, new Supreme Court Justices.

2. There will be a large political battle over Bush's nominations for the Court. (lots of filabustering and namecalling)

3. The teaching of creationism in public schools, will continue to gain ground.

4. The US deathtoll in Iraq will go over 1,500 (possibly in the first few months of 2005) as our control of that area lessens despite sending more and more troops.

5. No matter how bad the situation in Iraq gets, no matter how many people die or are permanently maimed, Bush et.al. will claim sucess.

6. There will STILL be a huge number of idiots who actually believe Bush.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  19:20:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I predict Evidence of
Ghosts
PSI
will come to light {not THE light}

Listen boys I am new and are you serious about the keeping track of predictions???? Have I entered the Twilight Zone... Oh that's right you guys don't believe that ...
Wait... I feel... another prediction...
You will all encounter a ghost next year.....

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  20:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I predict one of the Bush twins will get in some kind of trouble, possibly drunk driving.

I concur, we will still be in Iraq come the end of 2005. The government will continue to claim the insurgents are few and the country is doing well but the media coverage is focusing on the bad. No one in the media will follow up with the question, "Aren't most of the reporters embedded?"

There will be more retired military called back into service and certain occupations will be subject to the draft such as computer experts and linguists. The government will continue to balk that this is a back door draft.

The current military including reservists will continue to have their leave deferred leading to a revival of the novel, "Catch 22".

The economy will continue to deteriorate and the government will hold at least two more 'economic summits' proclaiming the economy is great.

Some international news programs will be banned in the USA and no one will question the free speech aspect. (Whoops, that happened already. My timing was off.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.