New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  15:20:16  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
The following shows a photo of the altar stone found at delphi showing the olympic rings on it :

This is thought to be Nazi Propaganda or is it ?

The olympic games are held every 4 years. Some believe there is a connection with the planet venus and the games.

Take a look at this diagram.

Here's the explanation :

There are 5 synodic periods, each lasting 584 days during the time it takes Venus to return to the exact same position.
5 X 584 = 8 X 365 (8 years) - 2 games delphi - olympia
Each cycle has a morning star and an evening star.
The 584 days of each cycle which can be broken down as follows :
Please refer to the letters in the diagram.
There are 5 cycles : ABCD, EFGH, IJKL, MNOP & QRST
A, E, I, M & Q : For approx 245 days we can see Venus driving toward the earth from the east as a morning star.
B, F, J, N, R : It then gets too close to the sun and disappears for approx 78 days.
C, G, K, O, S :Then for approx 247 days it reappears as the Evening star departing from the earth again towards the west.
D, H, L, P, T :Venus then gets too close to the sun and disappears for approx 14 days.
I use approx because it varies in each synodic cycle.
Note from the diagram :
* The diagram starts at A, with the morning star driving towards the earth. Follow the letters from A to T. This gives you the 5 synodic cycles of venus returning back to the beginning.
* The joins of the circles also represent the horizon line.
* Note the angle of projection is always approx 45 degrees to horizon where sun is rising for morning star or setting for evening star.
*Note how every join is used.
*Note that the morning star always comes from the east, follow the ring around to get the angle
*Note how the evening star always rises to the west, follow the ring around to get the angle.

Is this just a coincidence ????

Here's a couple of sites I used for an explanation of Venus's pattern :

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/astronomy/eve_morn.html

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/29/2913.html

'We're all in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars'
Oscar Wilde

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/freeflowpyramids/

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  15:44:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by serendipitypublishing

The following shows a photo of the altar stone found at delphi showing the olympic rings on it :

This is thought to be Nazi Propaganda or is it ?

The olympic games are held every 4 years. Some believe there is a connection with the planet venus and the games.

Take a look at this diagram.

Here's the explanation :

There are 5 synodic periods, each lasting 584 days during the time it takes Venus to return to the exact same position.
5 X 584 = 8 X 365 (8 years) - 2 games delphi - olympia
Each cycle has a morning star and an evening star.
The 584 days of each cycle which can be broken down as follows :
Please refer to the letters in the diagram.
There are 5 cycles : ABCD, EFGH, IJKL, MNOP & QRST
A, E, I, M & Q : For approx 245 days we can see Venus driving toward the earth from the east as a morning star.
B, F, J, N, R : It then gets too close to the sun and disappears for approx 78 days.
C, G, K, O, S :Then for approx 247 days it reappears as the Evening star departing from the earth again towards the west.
D, H, L, P, T :Venus then gets too close to the sun and disappears for approx 14 days.
I use approx because it varies in each synodic cycle.
Note from the diagram :
* The diagram starts at A, with the morning star driving towards the earth. Follow the letters from A to T. This gives you the 5 synodic cycles of venus returning back to the beginning.
* The joins of the circles also represent the horizon line.
* Note the angle of projection is always approx 45 degrees to horizon where sun is rising for morning star or setting for evening star.
*Note how every join is used.
*Note that the morning star always comes from the east, follow the ring around to get the angle
*Note how the evening star always rises to the west, follow the ring around to get the angle.

Is this just a coincidence ????

Here's a couple of sites I used for an explanation of Venus's pattern :

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/astronomy/eve_morn.html

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/29/2913.html

Your diagram didn't make it.

The four year criteria was put in place when the olypics were re-instituted in the late 1800's so that host cities would have time to prepare. Also, it took time for the participants to travel to the host city.

Venus has a period less than one year. Claims of a four year period before it "returns to the same spot" is absurd.

Seems like quite a coincidence.

I am unaware of this particular altar stone at Delphi. Do you have some other information regarding it's discovery?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  17:50:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Regarding Venus, and the Olympic Games...
Have you been reading "The DaVinci Code"?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  19:34:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
From the site where the photo comes from:
The founder of the modern Olympic games, Pierre de Coubertin, wanted to memorialize the 20th anniversary of the revival of the Olympic games. He decided to create a banner, an emblem of Olympism, to present at the 1914 Paris Congress of the Olympic Movement. For his design, Coubertin chose a five-ring symbol that came from an altar-stone discovered at Delphi. The number five refers to the five continents. He chose six colors (white, red, yellow, green, blue and black) because each flag of the countries that were part of the Olympic movement contain at least one of those colors. The Paris Congress in 1914 was so taken with the design that they adopted it as the official flag of the Olympic movement. The new flag made its debut at the 1920 games in Antwerp, Belgium. It was here that the rings became the official Olympic symbol.
Emphasis mine, of course.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  08:48:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
Dr Mabuse, I haven't read the Da Vinci Code. But when you mentioned it, I looked it up on yahoo and found this :

quote:
Venus the planet- After some dubious interpretation of symbols, Brown claims that the goddess Venus is represented by a pentagram and that the planet Venus makes a perfect pentagram in the sky. Venus does not subscribe a perfect pentacle in the sky over an eight-year cycle. This is an occult folklore and does not physically happen.

-The Olympics- Brown claims they are on an 8 year cycle and are devoted to Venus, the goddess of love and fertility. As most people know, they have always been on a 4 year cycle and were originally played in honor of Zeus, king of the gods.

Anyway, I am reposting the diagram of the olympic rings again here for your comment (Please see previous post for explanantion) :

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  11:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Looks like a coincidence to me. The radio of days to length of circle doesn't work out. If the Greeks intended it to be an astranomical chart of Venus in the sky it would have been more accurite, and there would have be writing somewhere discribing it.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  11:28:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
And what if it represents the cycle of Venus before the known Greek Civilization ? I'm not saying it was designed for the olympic games just used by them.

Thanks for mentioning about the ratio of days to the length of circle does work out, it fact I never thought about this before. However, you must look at the arc for the 245 and 247 days as sharing the same curve. One showing the morning star shooting into the horizon from the east and the other showing the evening star rising from the horizon to the west.

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  12:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

And what if it represents the cycle of Venus before the known Greek Civilization ? I'm not saying it was designed for the olympic games just used by them.

Well the Greeks weren't the first ones to study the stars, serindipitypublishing. Various Mesopotamian civilizations-- Assyrians, Babylonians, and, of course, Sumerians, all engaged in star-gazing activities. They even bothered to record their observations!

Of course, none of this is to say that this notion that the Olympic Rings were originally a star chart for the movement of Venus through the sky is probable...
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  12:33:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

The following shows a photo of the altar stone found at delphi showing the olympic rings on it...

This photo shows an Audi automobile that probably drove near the alter stone while on a motor trip through Greece.

Ever notice, early in the morning, all Audi dealerships are closed when Venus rises? Hmmmmmm....
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  21:25:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for mentioning about the ratio of days to the length of circle does work out, it fact I never thought about this before. However, you must look at the arc for the 245 and 247 days as sharing the same curve. One showing the morning star shooting into the horizon from the east and the other showing the evening star rising from the horizon to the west.
That this is a "map" of Venus' path is wrong for two reasons:

1) Paths A and C represent 492 days, and so do paths S and Q, but the lines are of unequal length. Paths A and C together should be over 35 times longer than path D, but this is clearly not the case. Similarly, path B should be over 5.5 times the length of path D, but it comes up short, too.

2) Let's follow your description, starting in the middle of the upper-left arc:
So I follow path A down to the intersection of A, B and S.
So I follow path B over to the intersection of B, C and D.
And now I follow path C, back to where I began.
But I can't get from where I'm at over to path D without retracing path C in reverse.

So you see, if it's supposed to keep track of Venus' movements, it just doesn't function. One would think that a person trying to use such a thing (for what, I couldn't say) would be moving a small stone marker around in, a little bit each day. But this diagram would require a whole set of "rules" to go along with it, to tell a person when and how to "jump" the marker from spot to spot, and which "turns" to take at the intersections.

On the other hand, if something like this:

was claimed to be a timekeeper for five Venusian cycles, I wouldn't have much reason to doubt it (especially if there were 580-something tick marks around the outer edge). Simple, to the point, and useful, no?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  04:33:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
Dave, that was a great post. Even if I have to agree with some of your comments which would truly shed doubt on my idea I was more impressed with your detailed analysis. Thanks.

Your diagram of the venus cycle didn't appear.

What about this to represent the Venus cycle ??

Chippewa, any ideas what the Audi symbol represents ?
I heard that Sabura cars symbol represents Venus passing through the pleiades. Sabura being Japanese for Pleiades.

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

serendipitypublishing
Skeptic Friend

60 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  05:38:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit serendipitypublishing's Homepage Send serendipitypublishing a Private Message
Dave, I can see your diagram now. Excellent !! To count the days in the Venus cycle this would be perfect. Did you create this one yourself ?

Taking another look at the olympic rings to add another perspective :

Each ring would also represent the relative postion of venus and the sun from the earth using the horizon as a frame of reference ?? So the ring represents the sun's postion. The joins represent the sun's position on the horizon and the sides of the rings the angle of venus's path to the horizon. Do you agree or disagree ??

Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  05:46:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Amazing! Not wow-- my crazy attempt to find advanced intelligence and/or crazy conspiracies has failed a third time but wow-- what if I completely change my view so that the design has new function, allowing me to continue with my crazed ideas...

quote:

Dave, I can see your diagram now. Excellent !! To count the days in the Venus cycle this would be perfect. Did you create this one yourself ?

Each ring would also represent the relative postion of venus and the sun from the earth using the horizon as a frame of reference ?? So the ring represents the sun's postion. The joins represent the sun's position on the horizon and the sides of the rings the angle of venus's path to the horizon. Do you agree or disagree ??

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  07:01:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Amazing! Not wow-- my crazy attempt to find advanced intelligence and/or crazy conspiracies has failed a third time but wow-- what if I completely change my view so that the design has new function, allowing me to continue with my crazed ideas...

quote:

Hey, it may be a crazy new idea, but at least it is new. Serendipity decided to change his/her idea because she/he found out it was wrong, or at least in doubt. That is something not seen in the characteristics of a woo-woo.

But on that same note, do you not think you are over interpreting this to be more than it really is, a neat design?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/31/2005 07:02:03
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  07:31:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Hey, it may be a crazy new idea, but at least it is new. Serendipity decided to change his/her idea because she/he found out it was wrong, or at least in doubt. That is something not seen in the characteristics of a woo-woo.

But Ricky, it doesn't seem to me that he's so much as changing his idea, but rather re-interpreting the data so that he can keep with his same basic belief (I'm not sure what that is, but it appears that it has something to do with prehistoric (or otherwise really old) people knowing more that traditional scholarship tells us).
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  08:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

Chippewa, any ideas what the Audi symbol represents ?
I heard that Sabura cars symbol represents Venus passing through the pleiades. Sabura being Japanese for Pleiades.

I'm with Chippewa on this one. Here's a link to the History of Car Logos.
quote:
The four rings of Audi represent the four companies of the Auto-Union consortium of 1932 - DKW, Horch, Wanderer, and Audi. After the war the Audi name - which is Latin for "Hear!" - disappeared, but was revived in 1965, using the four rings as a logo.

Also, the name is sort of a pun on 'hoerch', German for 'hear', name of one of the founders.

Of course, the Audi symbol comes up one circle short. I blame the aliens.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.