United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  19:36:52  Show Profile Send Flatty a Private Message
Hi

I'm new here but something is worrying me

A few months ago my wife and I were on a shopping trip, I parked the car,
locked the door, and went to buy what we wanted, 15 minutes later I tried
to unlock the car door but could not do so because the car keys had bent
so much they would not go into the lock.

The keys in the 15 minute period were never out of my pants pocket and I
did not bump into or hit the keys with anything.

I have a habit of fumbling with the keys when they are in my pocket

My wife was so shocked by the strange event that she burst into tears and
I was very perturbed myself

The same thing happened to me around ten years ago with car keys ance once
with house door keys.

Can you tell me whats going on and have you heard of this happening before

Please note that I am of sound mind and once was a sceptic, I just want to
know whats going on, and be able to explain to my wife who now thinks I'm
a bit weird!

I can send photo of the key if you wish

Flatty

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  19:50:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Flatty
I have a habit of fumbling with the keys when they are in my pocket

Stress causes people to do strange things. Some people grind their teeth. Others wring their hands or fiddle with their ties. They are often quite shocked when their behavior is pointed out to them. Bending a key isn't all that hard if you apply the correct pressure. I would suggest that you are unconsciously bending the keys* in your pockets while your mind is occupied with other matters.

* Do I even need to add "with your hands?"

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/21/2005 19:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Flatty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  19:59:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Flatty a Private Message
Hi Jay

Thank you for your interesting response.

Your theory is of course feasable but I have tried bending the keys purposely...I have not done it yet with my fingers, the keys are short and fluted which gives them great rigidity which the require for their purpose

Also the the key was turned on its axis during this event

Reagrds

Flatty
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  20:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Flatty

Hi Jay

Thank you for your interesting response.

Your theory is of course feasable but I have tried bending the keys purposely...I have not done it yet with my fingers, the keys are short and fluted which gives them great rigidity which the require for their purpose

Also the the key was turned on its axis during this event

Reagrds

Flatty
Yes, well since you state this is a habit of yours, I would guess that the key bending is due to the repeated stress over a long period of time rather than from a single application. Are you familiar with the concept of metal fatigue? It's the "weakened condition induced in metal parts of machines, vehicles, or structures by repeated stresses or loadings, ultimately resulting in fracture under a stress much weaker than that necessary to cause fracture in a single application." (taken from Encyclopedia Britannica)

Also, a jumble of several keys provides greater opportunity for individual keys to wedge in between one another or to cock at odd angles, thus providing dozens of small fulcrums and points of leverage. Removing a single key and attempting to bend it with your bare hands doesn't represent the conditions present in your pocket.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/21/2005 20:37:30
Go to Top of Page

Flatty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  20:35:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Flatty a Private Message
Hi Jay

Thanks again for your response, being a Design Engineer I know about metal fatigue, the key is still as strong as ever at the bending point and has not fractured, also bending and twisting on its axis would be a most difficult tak to carry out with finger pressure.

There is no visible sign of distress to the metals structure which really confuses me

Thanks

Flaty
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  20:39:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Well, Flatty, what then in your professional engineering opinion could cause keys to bend in such a manner? You obviously have been thinking about this problem much longer than I have and have some hypothesis in mind. Just come out with it already, as I can see that anything I propose will be met with further objections.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2005 :  20:50:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I am not sure what could have happened but I don't know of any method whereby keys can spontaneously deform on there own. I have to say that I simply do not believe that the keys were bent with out you or somebody else bending them. Of course a picture won't help because anyone can take a picture of bent keys. Good luck figuring out how they were bent and welcome to SFN.

You didn't bump into Geller did you? That guy has made a living out of bending keys.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Flatty

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  05:54:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Flatty a Private Message
Hi

Thanks for your response

The opinions expressed were typical of the ones I have have previously, I still have found no satisfactory explaination, I will keep hunting, thanks for your time

Uri Geller is a magician Furshur, I was trying to find a serious answer, thanks for your response

Regards

Flaty
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  05:54:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
To add to the things already written here. You said the keys were in your pocket, which probably means they also get warmer, and thus easier to bend.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  06:20:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I know a tiny little lady, in her 70's, that thinks she bends spoons with her mind. She showed us all how to do it, using her hands. Some of the people had trouble doing what she did, but I was careful to watch he closely, and I did everything that she did, and bent the keys every way that she did just the same way with my hands. I know that I did it with my hands, but some of those people probably think I did it with my mind, because you just couldn't do what I did with my hands, and that little old lady sure couldn't do it (according to them).

If you're not messing with us, or someone is not messing with you, then you did it with physical pressure of some kind, or intense enough heat and pressure combined and have convinced yourself otherwise.

I know keys are stronger than spoons, but there just is no other way.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  06:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I would wager, Flatty, that you're accidentally bending the keys as you take them out of locks, and don't realize it until you go to put them back in. This would also explain the twisting. Be gentle.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  06:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I would wager, Flatty, that you're accidentally bending the keys as you take them out of locks, and don't realize it until you go to put them back in. This would also explain the twisting. Be gentle.

Great minds think alike.....

I've wrecked a couple of keys in just this way. I suspect most of have done the same.

On edit, there might be a way to test this, though: carry the keys in some other pocket.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/22/2005 06:45:39
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  07:22:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

On edit, there might be a way to test this, though: carry the keys in some other pocket.
I used to carry my car key in my back pocket, which meant it spent a lot of time being sat on. After four years, it snapped off in the trunk lock, with no undue force on my account. Luckily, there was just enough key sticking out for me to get good purchase and yank the tip outta there. When I went to get a replacement key made at the dealership, the guy actually asked me if I kept the key in my back pocket. I'm a front-pocket guy now.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  07:39:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, Flatty.

quote:

I broke my house key this way once. The lock was difficult to turn and no amount of lubrication helped. Over time the stress on the key caused it to snap off in the lock.

My guess would be your keys are bending as the result of some or all of these suggestions combined.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  08:57:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I used to carry my car key in my back pocket, which meant it spent a lot of time being sat on. After four years, it snapped off in the trunk lock, with no undue force on my account. Luckily, there was just enough key sticking out for me to get good purchase and yank the tip outta there. When I went to get a replacement key made at the dealership, the guy actually asked me if I kept the key in my back pocket. I'm a front-pocket guy now.

I always knew you were a hardass!

There's a lot of ways to screw up a key, but that's a new one to me. Many keys are made of an alloy of brass and will often snap after bending only slightly.

I think that Geller makes a big deal out of keys because they are rather difficult to bend due to their size. It's hard to get some torque on them because there's little leverage. Of course, his riff is all slight of hand and codswallop.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  16:02:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

I'll go with this. Sounds like the most logical explanation presented thus far.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/22/2005 16:03:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.