New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

graffias79

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  12:09:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send graffias79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jamie
[/quote]Hi graffias79. Welcome to SFN. So your interest in playing the organ at church was clearly more about playing the organ, and not the being in church?
[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome!

That is correct. I was in my teens during those times, but I was very interested in learning how to play the keyboard and how to understand music. Quite frankly I found the sermons to be a bore, but I loved playing the music. I learned a lot about how to play from old books in the church's library. I taught myself the basics of music theory. After the 'incident' I drifted away from church altogether, and in the past few years came to realize that I don't believe in any sort of supernatural being. Churches will try anything to mind-bend you to stay in their congregation. I found that a little investigating unveils that different churches disagree with each other so much as to be as laughable as the daily newspaper horoscope.

Last year when I finished reading the book "The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan, I closed the last page and said to myself out loud "I think I am an atheist".

Ever since I shed the guilty feelings and the paranoia of the thought of some omnipotent or invisible being(s) watching my every move, I felt so free and wonderful. I do not need a supreme being to force me to be a moral person. I find that people are naturally inclined to be who they are.
Go to Top of Page

the seeker

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  19:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, hello...I'm Helen. I'm 16 years old and am a high school sophomore. I guess I'm pretty young. I'm the underestimated teenage philosopher/analytical thinker. I'm always thinking, it's all I ever seem to do.

I'm also a part-time artist. I love to write, to play/write music, and draw, although I do not think that I am very good.

I'm also a very complex person.

That about sums me up.

So yeah, I'm new here, I'm hoping to discuss some controversial topics

My signature consists of my not having a signature.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  20:08:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the seeker

Well, hello...I'm Helen. I'm 16 years old and am a high school sophomore. I guess I'm pretty young. I'm the underestimated teenage philosopher/analytical thinker. I'm always thinking, it's all I ever seem to do.

I'm also a part-time artist. I love to write, to play/write music, and draw, although I do not think that I am very good.

I'm also a very complex person.

That about sums me up.

So yeah, I'm new here, I'm hoping to discuss some controversial topics
Hi, Helen. Thanks for stopping by SFN. We're always happy to talk about controversial topics. Most of the people here are nice, even if we can be gruff at times (so don't take that personally). If you stick around, you're bound to learn a few things. Do please stick around, ask questions, and come back often!
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 01/21/2008 20:08:51
Go to Top of Page

the seeker

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  20:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thank you. This seems like a nice forum already--I posted a thread with a question and it was answered within minutes.

I just realized that I was being a bit of an oxymoron in my intro by saying that I'm a complex person, yet in the next sentence saying that the little paragraph I posted about myself pretty much "sums me up". I apologize.

My signature consists of my not having a signature.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2008 :  21:21:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Helen! I'd recommend looking around a bit, reading old posts and especially articles. Try to remain open-minded, but not so open-minded, as they say, that your brain falls out. Feel free to contribute where you have an opinion or knowledge -- and don't assume that we already know something you know.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

EdSG

Mexico
1 Post

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  21:42:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit EdSG's Homepage  Send EdSG a Yahoo! Message Send EdSG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody, EdSG here.

I'm a software developer, 26 years old, located on Guadalajara, Mexico.

I just got introduced to the SFN, I hope to get hold of some people from Mexico here!

That's all for now, see you around!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  21:50:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the SFN, EdSG.

I know I said that during chat, but chat's not the forums, now is it?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

LeonKennedy

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  17:46:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LeonKennedy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've made a few posts already -- but, well, I'll introduce myself anyway. It's only polite.

I'm Jordan; I'm 21 and a "Junior" at university, majoring in Political Science, though my real passion is Religion and History. That's a long story and really not worth the effort.

I'm skeptical about a great deal of things (like the future of society and the ability of the American electorate to be even moderately well-informed), but I'm not a Skeptic. In fact, I'm a bit of a supernaturalist -- at least as far as religion goes. I'm in the process of becoming an Orthodox Christian, though my theology is slightly (or perhaps more than slightly) more liberal than the Church's.

I was invited here by another poster, Emsby, "the big sister I've always (or never?) wanted."

My user name is a the name of a video game character -- because I really am just that much of a dork.

And that's that. Nice to meet you all.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  19:37:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the SFN, Jordan. Looking forward to discussing things with you.
You dirty Kansan.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

LeonKennedy

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  20:05:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LeonKennedy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Welcome to the SFN, Jordan. Looking forward to discussing things with you.
You dirty Kansan.
Haha, I just now clicked on your profile and realized who you were.

..... I don't want to post here anymore.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  22:29:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by LeonKennedy

Which reminds me, I really should replace that photo with a more accurate (i.e. fatter) one.

In all seriousness, I hope you enjoy yourself here, Jordan. Theists are a minority, but not entirely absent. And the general level of discourse should be up to your discriminating standards. It's nice to have a fresh perspective here.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

LeonKennedy

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  22:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LeonKennedy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Which reminds me, I really should replace that photo with a more accurate (i.e. fatter) one.

In all seriousness, I hope you enjoy yourself here, Jordan. Theists are a minority, but not entirely absent. And the general level of discourse should be up to your discriminating standards. It's nice to have a fresh perspective here.

Browsing through some of the threads, I like what I see. People speak, for the most part, with respect and the information they provide isn't nonsense they've pulled out of their asses. Quite extraordinary when compared to that other place. And if I don't end up liking what I see and experience, I'll just tell you all to go to hell -- which is where you're going anyway, so it shouldn't be all that scandalous. :|
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  22:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Browsing through some of the threads, I like what I see. People speak, for the most part, with respect and the information they provide isn't nonsense they've pulled out of their asses. Quite extraordinary when compared to that other place. And if I don't end up liking what I see and experience, I'll just tell you all to go to hell -- which is where you're going anyway, so it shouldn't be all that scandalous. :|
:)

Yeah, I found no desire to go back, myself. Pearl before swine and all that. What's the point of pwning tards if they're too stupid to know when they've been schooled? Perhaps even more importantly, I find myself learning a lot here. We may not all agree on everything here at the SFN, but we do challenge each other, and as you say, for the most part we respect each other for it. In short, it's more honest dialogue and less drive-by trolling. People actually have to cite reputable sources to be taken seriously.

P.S. My photo has been updated.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/15/2008 22:45:58
Go to Top of Page

JeanJean
SPAMMER

3 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  03:09:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JeanJean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
 Moderation Notice 

Spam deleted - Dave W.

Go to Top of Page

ZeeKrey

United Arab Emirates
20 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  18:36:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send ZeeKrey an AOL message Send ZeeKrey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologize for being so vague and not backing my words on my recent posts. I have been speaking from what I have been taught and did not realize how thorough things were here. I read the "about" page for this forum and got a better idea the forum standards. I apologize for not reading this sooner. I will have my sources at the ready from this point forward before posting. Thanks everyone, I value all of your skepticism more than you could know. I hope you don't think I'm a total fruit cake because I have a massage therapy certificate. I wouldn't be here if I too did not question all things not proven. The goal of my career and life IS to prove things so I find this forum an integral part of my education.

I've been exposed to more hooey fooey than most people since massage therapy often attracts fruit flies. But I want everyone here to know that I have seen the benefits of muscular therapy and I have obtained that education as a tool of healing as a discovery that I can use in my medical practice. I do not believe in magic, I am not superstitious, I do not believe in ghosts, I do not have a religion, I have not experienced enough energy work, chakras, and the many other main stream methods of therapy to have an opinion on them.

I have worked very hard since I was very young to have non biased opinion on anything, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. I accept theories and do not deny them until I have witnessed the proof myself that they are incorrect. I always keep an open mind to things such as, superstition, ghosts, and religion because they are influential on people and at the very least provide a window into a science of another kind, most likely sociological in those cases but still a fascinating tangent of discovery.

For those of you who did not catch my other posts.

I am a 19 year old male from New England. I just finished my massage therapy certificate and my associates in life sciences. I am currently enrolled in the University of New Hampshire for Biochem. and premed. I work in a life science lab where we prepare materials and organisms for life science classes and also perform small experiments on the side.

I live in the cross over of 2 demographics; one of very touchy, spiritual, energy/body workers with very big hearts and warm hands but often very "far-out" ideas I do not always agree with. The other, highly educated, intelligent, logical, detail oriented etc... and allopathic directed professionals. Both sometimes biased, mostly stubborn, often seeking help in the opposing side.

I want to actually do the research and document the evidence so that people do not have to try 100 alternative methods to find only 20 actually have an effect of some kind.

Zee'Krey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.8 seconds.