Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  19:19:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information, ZeeKrey! If you are familiar with James Randi you will recognize the phrase "woo-woo". Folks here, including myself, are pretty sensitized to anything that appears woo-woo (or just woo, for short) Some of your posts did appear headed in that direction.

You will find that when Dave asks a question, especially of a new member (unfortunately, there is a kind of trial-by-fire tradition around here that most members have to struggle through), he really wants an answer. And this is usually for good reason.

You mentioned "nervous circulation" and "Polar Conduits". Dave (and others) really want to know from what source or authority you got those terms, because they do not respond to a google search (of which Dave is a Jedi master). He ,and I, and others think that the terms have a vague echo of woo, and we are, quite frankly, evaluating you, because of this.

So if you can explain exactly how you came to use those two terms and give reference for that choice, you will go a long way in dispelling doubts here about your credibility!

Incidentally, your profile says you're 12 years old. You ought to change that to 19, it is less eyebrow-raising!

I am still really curious about your views on alternative medicine, including osteopathic medicine and chiropractic. I truly don't know what allopathic medicine is yet, but I am researching it as we speak. Please read the wiki article and comment as you see fit.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  12:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello;

So I posted a few posts already, but I thought that maybe I should introduce myself...

My name (really) is Simon. I originate from Brittany (in France). Was born in an atheist family but was schooled in Roman Catholic schools until my graduation. Also, most of my friends are religious so I sorta heard from both side of the discussion.

I don't feel I can make a definitive judgement on the subject, so my brain is agnostic but my guts tend to lean against atheist. Damn these meddling internal organs!

I travelled and lived in a bunch of countries, including Egypt; UK; Mexico and now, Mississippi (for my work).

I am now studying for a PhD in Vet. Science with a minor in microbiology. I find particularly interesting the relation between pathogens and their host and their co-evolution.
As such I am particularly sensitive about the subject of ID/Creationism... It's not close minded and lazy, it's also depriving yourself of a beautiful example of nature's work.

But I also have a lot of other interest including SF/fantastic (and the claims of such actually happening) as well as history and the bronze age/early Iron age world particularly...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

RadioMusicBox

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  15:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RadioMusicBox's Homepage  Send RadioMusicBox a Yahoo! Message Send RadioMusicBox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there. I'm new to SFN. My real name is Cecelia, but everyone calls me Radio MusicBox.

It's a cruel world...and YOU SUCK!!!!! (LAUGHTER)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  17:19:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, RadioMusicBox!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

armanie

3 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  07:04:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send armanie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi There,

Just call me Armie, I'm probably one of the creative person in this site. Since i was young, i love anything about science and i always want to transform everything that i've learned into something more interesting and entertaining. Actually I'm into filmmaking right now and wanna make amazing Sci-Fi movies someday.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  07:46:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by armanie

Hi There,

Just call me Armie, I'm probably one of the creative person in this site. Since i was young, i love anything about science and i always want to transform everything that i've learned into something more interesting and entertaining. Actually I'm into filmmaking right now and wanna make amazing Sci-Fi movies someday.
Cool! Welcome to SFN armanie.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Lorriedjn

3 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  10:18:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lorriedjn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lorriedjn here. Fresh back from TAM6 and looking for intelligent discussion. I live in South Lake Tahoe, CA. Quite the mystical, magical navel in the sky.
Meeting w/fellow skeptics this weekend renewed my quest for intelligent life
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  10:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Lorriedjn

Lorriedjn here. Fresh back from TAM6 and looking for intelligent discussion. I live in South Lake Tahoe, CA. Quite the mystical, magical navel in the sky.
Meeting w/fellow skeptics this weekend renewed my quest for intelligent life
Welcome to SFN Lorriedjn!

Yup, nothing like a TAM event to get the neurons firing!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  02:48:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Thought I'd check in here. It's been a while.

Hey, Kil! I'm sorry I didn't make TAM this year, and therefore missed the chance to shake your hand again.

If you think it's work, you're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  07:35:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Badger

Hi!

Thought I'd check in here. It's been a while.

Hey, Kil! I'm sorry I didn't make TAM this year, and therefore missed the chance to shake your hand again.

Hi Badger!!! It's always good to see you in this little corner of the internet.

Hopefully you will be at the next TAM, and hopefully I will be there too. That way, I can shake your hand and get some time to talk with you about SFN the JREF, skepticism and the universe. Or we can just hang and throw back a couple brews...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  11:24:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/26/2008 11:25:23
Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  20:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to it, Kil!

Dr Mabuse, that never gets old! Thanks!

If you think it's work, you're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

weemaryanne

Canada
1 Post

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  19:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send weemaryanne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must warn everyone:

I write doggerel. Also limericks. And I do it stone cold sober. It mostly rhymes but the scansion sucks.

However, I met Reynold over at Ray Comfort's dreadful blog, where I hang out mostly to be a nuisance and make the nonbelievers crack up occasionally. I've gifted Ray with a few bits'n'bobs of my versifications, and recently complained that ole Ray wasn't letting me post my most recent creation.

Reynold, gentleman that he is, invited me to post it here instead.

Just remember, Reynold, that no good deed goes unpunished.

Not the Atheist's Nightmare (by Weemaryanne)

For Ray and his little friend Kirk
The banana's a marvellous work,
("Ain't no better fit
For a Sapien's mitt!)
Despite all the research they shirk.

(ducks behind desk) -- Hey, at least you can't say I didn't warn you.

Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2008 :  20:07:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, weemaryanne!

You know that it isn't a crime
To poke fun at Ray Comfort in rhyme
He may not post it
Embarrassed to host it
But I for one loved every line

My turn to duck...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

carolina666

USA
1 Post

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send carolina666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello im new here and would just like to say im a big fan Kirk Cameron and he is one of my best idol ...

Edited by - carolina666 on 08/07/2008 06:48:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.08 seconds.