Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  10:08:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am told that I have a british accent - which I consider to be infinately preferable to a US accent.

The British don't have an accent. That's just what English sounds like when its pronounced correctly.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  10:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would depend on your definition of accent.

Edit: In fact, it would depend on your definition of language
Edited by - Subjectmatter on 09/08/2005 10:26:40
Go to Top of Page

LizW
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  10:52:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LizW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the British have dozens of accents based on geography and class structure.

Language is a great example of evolution. British English, American English, Scottish English, Irish English, and Australian English, none are correct or incorrect all are distinctly different beasts sharing a common ancestor.

You learn something new every g****mn day!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  14:13:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to both Subjectmatter and LizW

Subjectmatter: it's always nice to see countrymen on international forums, and compared to the rest of Europe we're over-represented here with me, Starman, and Maverick as regulars. I think Hawks is too, though he is posting from Australia or NZ.

LizW: Nice to finally make your acquaintance. We've been wondering when you would show up. Spending so much time with Evil Genius will eventually rub off on you, and I'm looking forward to your input.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  17:03:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
LizW:
I spend my days running a very exclusive private sanitarium. I only have one patient, he's four. His treatment is coming along very well, but I have started to twitch and look over my shoulder alot.

My nights and weekends are spent primarily trying to pry Dave W off his keyboard often enough to make sure that he doesn't meld with it, thus becoming a bio-mechanical Evil Genius. I prefer him as he is, just an ordinary run of the mill Evil Genius.

Funny. I would have never guessed that Dave is only four years old. Now that I think about it, he does have that baby face and he is fussy about what he eats... I guess he really is a genius, eh?

Welcome Liz.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  17:53:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Hello and welcome to both Subjectmatter and LizW

Subjectmatter: it's always nice to see countrymen on international forums, and compared to the rest of Europe we're over-represented here with me, Starman, and Maverick as regulars. I think Hawks is too, though he is posting from Australia or NZ.

Oy. Australia? I am swedish (by passport and by virtue of living there for the first 28 years of my life), but I do not live in Australia. Australia is the home of weird musical instruments and smelly marsupials. New Zealand, my country of residence, is the home of Lord of the rings, kiwis and really smelly geothermal areas.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

wajo

5 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  07:36:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wajo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, wajo checking in. I've been a rather inactive member of SFN for some time but resolved this evening that I should hang around a bit more.

According to my profile I'm a Tasmanian who sells traditional Japanese textiles. Must be true. I'm also a mother, part-time wife and uhm... etc.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  12:42:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome wajo!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Scotty

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  07:39:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Scotty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone - since I've just posted my first mesage to the boards , I thought I'd stop by and say hello ....

I'm a late 40 something Scot, working in IT support , and have been for the last 20 something years .. dosent make me good , just experinced!..

I came across this site , after following old BigBrain , or what ever he called himself then, from the ApolloHoax forum, mostly out of curosity - I'd never believed such stupidity could actually exist ..

As for me - I believe we went to the moon , and in general there's usually less to conspiracies than meets the eye...

Oh I noticed a small section re accents - although pure Scots, I've continued to be run into trouble throught my life for being "English" - a henious crime in modern Scotland it would appear - simply because of my lack of accent - odd ...

Anyway nice to be here - i'm also on ApolloHoax, and BABB

"Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! We willna be fooled again!" -
T. Prattchett - Wee Free Men
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  08:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I didn't do this yet. For the usual set of observables: 41, guy, married, Catholic, with dogs, cats, some fosters (both 2- and 4-legged), live near D.C. Engineer in the space field ~15 years and volunteer as a firefighter/EMT. Various hobbies which I no longer have any time to do, so never mind...
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  11:43:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never filled this out, so I guess I should.

My name is Dan. I turned 1/2 century old in July. I've been married for 20 years and have a 16 year old son and a 14 year old daughter.
We live on a 55 acre spread in upstate New York and have 3 cats(!), a dog, 2 horses, a cockatiel and tropical fish.

My job is as a Process Engineer, ChemE degree.

I have always been interested in science. As I was growing up I always had a real difficulty in the conflict between religion and science. I ultimately realized that religion is mythology and so there is no conflict.

Life is good.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  13:35:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

We live on a 55 acre spread in upstate New York and have 3 cats(!), a dog, 2 horses, a cockatiel and tropical fish.

I envy you (in a good way) so much for owning horses.
I want a pony.

Edit: what breed?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 11/02/2005 13:35:45
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  14:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Edit: what breed?

My daughter has an American Saddlebred (at least that is what I think it is). His name is High Style and he is a gelding that basically looks like an Arabian. He is very narrow and light in weight. He is probably the nicest most interactive horse I have ever seen, when he sees my daughter he will come running over to her like a big dog.

My horse is a palomino quarter horse his name is Buddy. I have only had him about 4 months. He is probably too well trained for me. I am sort of a sloppy rider - I like to just go our trail riding, no fancy gaits or siting pretty in the saddle for me - my daughter is soooo disgusted with my 'style'. I will say one thing about Buddy, he had some training as a barrel racer and he can fly. He scares the crap out of me sometimes when I have have him make these unbeleivably sharp turns at a canter.

Anyway I am very lucky to have the horses and it is one of the best ways to have quality time with my daughter.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Patrick Hennessey

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  00:35:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Patrick Hennessey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name is accidentally my username, and I have no way of chaging it. Until the admin lets me, I'll go on exposing my real name to the masses...

I am a graphic design student who wishes he could just quit and do music for a living (which he is not confident enough to promote).

I am not a skeptic in all respects, but I won't jump to conclusions without more information. I don't have all the answers, but if you do, let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  07:51:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Patrick, I left school to be in a Rock and Roll band and write songs. Now I am a carpenter. (General Contractor.) It's not that I dislike what I do but I think I would have made a great medical doctor or would have been happy as a paleoanthropologist. I'm not sure if this is a warning or not…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.