Page: of 2

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  23:49:45  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
How about some christian values?
quote:
(CNN) -- Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson has called for the United States to assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, calling him "a terrific danger" bent on exporting Communism and Islamic extremism across the Americas.

http://us.cnn.com/2005/US/08/23/robertson.chavez/index.html
http://mediamatters.org/items/200508220006 (with video)

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  02:05:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
No suprises; this is the same "Christian" piece of shit that was exhorting his followers to pray for some deaths on the Supreme Court, a while back. He also prays away hurricanes and has predicted various, sacred disasters for some less-than-devout cities. If that ain't enough, it was he, along with the grifter Falwell, that blamed the 9-11 attack on gays, pagans, and so forth having caused God to no longer protece the US.

He is also an owner of gold and diamond mines in Africa, among other holdings, whilst he begs the faithful for donations.

In short, he is no more of a Christian than I am; the difference being that I am honest enough not to claim to be one.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  05:02:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
At the rate Chavez is twisting our proverbial nipples, I wouldnt be surprised to hear about a heart attack or an "accident" onboard the Bolivian presidental helecopter...

He certainly has cajones.

Perhaps some feel as strongly about Mr. Robertsons life...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  06:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
If robertson's god justifies a murder, then it isn't morally wrong, silly!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 08/23/2005 06:01:30
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  22:53:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Welcome to the new & improved 9 commandments!

trish
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  01:35:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Predictably:
quote:
Robertson apologizes for Chavez remark
Fox News

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson has issued an apology for calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him," Robertson's statement said.

Rev. Jesse Jackson told FOX News that an apology is not enough.

"The fact is that his impact is substantially great," said Jackson. "He supports the government, he is a former Republican presidential candidate. ... His statement carries weight."

Robertson's statement acknowledged the controversy that has surrounded his remarks, but said the situation has shed light on an important topic.

"There are many who disagree with my comments, and I respect their opinions. There are others who think that stopping a dictator is the appropriate course of action," he said. "In any event, the incredible publicity surrounding my remarks has focused our government's attention on a growing problem which has been largely ignored."

Robertson explains in the statement the context of the comment and the reasons why he believes Chavez is a dangerous leader saying that he seeks to overthrow democracies, "found common cause with terrorists," and calls Fidel Castro and Saddam Hussein "comrades."

Emphasis mine.

Leaving the cretin Bush out of it, since when is a legitamatly elected head of state a dictator?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  01:55:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Leaving the cretin Bush out of it, since when is a legitamatly elected head of state a dictator?
Whenever he fails to obey the wishes of the leader (twice anointed by God himself) of Gods nation of course.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  02:00:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Technically speaking, isn't it against a law (or several laws) to issue either a direct death threat, or to call for the murder of someone? Robertson has been doing this crap for awhile now. CNN reported that even the pro-Christian-rightwing White House is distancing itself from him.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
Why can't he just do it himself if he thinks it should be done. He is a rich man and could easily pay for someone to do it.

Although why is it that when Cindy Sheehan calls Bush a Bastard, a criminal and a torturer it gets no air play? No outrage by the media. Only the quotes from her that are not over the top get played.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:13:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb
Although why is it that when Cindy Sheehan calls Bush a Bastard, a criminal and a torturer it gets no air play? No outrage by the media. Only the quotes from her that are not over the top get played.

If they don't get any media attention, how did you ever hear these quotes? And quite frankly, those descriptors don't seem all that inaccurate.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/25/2005 10:14:18
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hell Robb, I've called Bush every species of lowlife there is and a few I've made up myself (I only wish I could do it to his face), and they won't print me, either.

He won't do it himself because he is all mouth and no substance. He is simply blathering at his audience with what he thinks they want to hear. It's gotten him and his tag-team partner Falwell some unwanted publicity before.

But I wonder; did he go a little too far this time? Praying for some people's death in a general sort of way is one thing -- were I a believer, I'd do it all the time -- encouraging the murder of a designated individual is something else altogether.

Y'know, it seems like every couple of months or so, I read about some idiot getting busted while trying to find someone to hit his/her wife/husband, or somebody. This won't happen to Pat, of course. A pity. He could use some quiet time to contemplate his own sins.

I'm wondering how Robertson's congregation is taking it. I'm wondering if his donations will fall off a little...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  14:11:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
I used to trust the media
To tell me the truth, tell us the truth
But now I've seen the payoffs
Everywhere I look
Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?

Queensr˙che, "Revolution Calling" from Operation Mindcrime

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  16:56:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Although why is it that when Cindy Sheehan calls Bush a Bastard, a criminal and a torturer it gets no air play? No outrage by the media.

Because they don't need to repeat the obvious things everyone already knows?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  22:00:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb...
Why can't he just do it himself if he thinks it should be done. He is a rich man and could easily pay for someone to do it.

Robertson, obviously dangerously deluded, is advocating murder. Sheehan, obviously heroic and patriotic, is advocating an end to murder. What's not to get? Perhaps even the popular media in their complicity with the propaganda machine understand that simple concept.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  01:07:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

First of all what the ---- has this to do with the subject? Statements from a mother who lost her son in what she feels was a unjust war? What has this to do with a christian calling for murder to protect the oil he covets?

Turn the other cheek has nothing to to with changing the subject when the situation becomes embarrassing!

Is Bush a torturer? Heard of Abu graib? Who is the commander in chief?

Is Bush a criminal? If he went to war on a lie, he is also see above.

Is Bush a bastard? Probably not in the literal sense.

No outrage by the media? Watched Fox recently? Heard about Rush Limbaugh?
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  16:44:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb...
Apparently some people have concerns about Cindy Sheehan's position. I opened a thread to discuss the specific issues: Hero Cindy Sheehan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.