New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  06:48:35  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Jack van Impe, of all people, seems to have taken exception to Pat "Kill-'em-all-and-let-God-sort-'em-out" Robertson's comments, past and present. For just this once, I actually agree with him.
quote:
Televangelist Jack Van Impe called Robertson "an Osami bin Laden"

Televangelist and self-proclaimed Biblical prophecy expert Jack Van Impe denounced Pat Robertson's call for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, comparing Robertson to Osama bin Laden.

From the August 30 broadcast of Jack Van Impe Presents:

He seems more concerned with Christian missionaries in South America than anything else, but his thoughts are in the right place never the less.

Go Jack!!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  14:20:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
It dare say it's a misconception on our part to see this as "eating their own" or to see Jack's criticisms as a good thing. Outsiders have a tendency to see the entire religious right a cohesive unit, but it never was and never will be because all the contending power figures want to keep their own groups of followers. I don't know how much Jack's and Pat's theologies might differ, and if indeed they have totally different congregations of devoted followers, it hurts Pat none for Jack to call him names. All it does is make Jack look better to the mainsteam, and thus prevent Pat from discrediting the entire religious right. I would be happier if Jack seconded Pat's isane jibber jabber because that would make the mainstream turn on them and politicians distance themselves more from the religious right.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  14:37:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

It dare say it's a misconception on our part to see this as "eating their own" or to see Jack's criticisms as a good thing. Outsiders have a tendency to see the entire religious right a cohesive unit, but it never was and never will be because all the contending power figures want to keep their own groups of followers. I don't know how much Jack's and Pat's theologies might differ, and if indeed they have totally different congregations of devoted followers, it hurts Pat none for Jack to call him names. All it does is make Jack look better to the mainsteam, and thus prevent Pat from discrediting the entire religious right. I would be happier if Jack seconded Pat's isane jibber jabber because that would make the mainstream turn on them and politicians distance themselves more from the religious right.

Perhaps true, but how often do you see one of these criticizing another (that is not yet under inditment)?

And most of the rest of these fundie whackos, such as James Dobson, are being conspicuos by their silence...

Robertson in something of an icon in this group, and while he has caught a fair amount of public flack, I've never see him actually roughed up by another preacher. May it continue.

Happy memories, happy memories... I recall when Jim Baker got nailed and Jerry Falwell instantly stabbed him in the back by bankrupting the PTL Club as soon as he got his porky, little hands on it, much to Jimmy swaggertt's dismay. Swaggertt had been lusting after that money machine himself.

These guys are like a school of pirahna, and I'm wondering if maybe van Impe isn't starting to smell blood, 'cause Pat got really stupid with his Chavez remarks.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  16:19:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
I'm a long way away from these televangelist wackos, but from where I sit, it appears that they each think that they are the true messiah and everyone else is a false prophet.

Despite the fact that they are peddling the same crap, they are very insular, and it doesn't surprise me in the least that they would turn on each other.

They are competing for the same audience, after all.

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  16:27:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Perhaps true, but how often do you see one of these criticizing another (that is not yet under inditment)?

I can't answer that since I don't keep tabs on them. I only know the stuff that hits the mainstream media. A couple months ago I was flippin' through the channels and caught about ten minutes of a televangelist (I had to watch because he had a giant poster with Sadaam Hussein, Jesus and a bunch of other crazy shit on it) and he was claiming that the Bible makes no mention of the USA, and criticized many other preachers for interpreting Revolations that way. This guy was claiming that indeed the end is near, but that all the good Christians in America will be raptured and the US economy will collapse before the shit really hits the fan.

Yeah, um, that's why I don't keep tabs on them. I just can't take the idiocy of it all.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  16:42:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

I can't answer that since I don't keep tabs on them. I only know the stuff that hits the mainstream media. A couple months ago I was flippin' through the channels and caught about ten minutes of a televangelist (I had to watch because he had a giant poster with Sadaam Hussein, Jesus and a bunch of other crazy shit on it) and he was claiming that the Bible makes no mention of the USA, and criticized many other preachers for interpreting Revolations that way. This guy was claiming that indeed the end is near, but that all the good Christians in America will be raptured and the US economy will collapse before the shit really hits the fan.

Yeah, um, that's why I don't keep tabs on them. I just can't take the idiocy of it all.

You were in luck! You hit one of the real whackos! Sounds like your boy is almost in Fred Phelps league.

I don't really keep tabs on them either, simply because I watch so little TV. But I read about them often, indeed, too often.

I think that Robertson managed to fall outside the mainstream pall with his assasination remarks, and I think we'll be hearing more sanctimmous statements aimed at him as time goes by and and some of the big names get bolder. That is, if van Impe gets by unscathed.

In televangelist circles, Pat is a force to be reckoned with. He is wealthy, well-spoken with a large following, and not a little vindictive. It might turn out to be fun to watch.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  19:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Ah, good old babblin' Jack....the happy apocalypse makes the news. Here's a entertaining write up on Van Impe from a local atheist here in Austin.....

http://www.geocities.com/mw_director/tbnwatch.html

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  20:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
"So, God is a terrorist" indeed.

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  23:41:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:

Was this a fat male causcasion guy with slick black hair and glasses?

If so, you've just seen John Hagee. A real piece of crap.

He once said on May 23, about atheists

He said, among many other things:
Atheism has never cured a disease.
Atheism has never produced a masterpiece.
Atheism has never wiped away any tears.

and other shit like that. He goes on to say "Atheism is brain dead".

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  00:07:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Filthy wrote: But I read about them often, indeed, too often.

Hey, if you can stomach it, it's great to keep up with what these morons are preaching and doing. After all, they do influence about a quarter of our nation.

the_ignored wrote:
Was this a fat male causcasion guy with slick black hair and glasses?

Naw. Fat male caucasion with grey hair. He might have been a local televangelist. We have three fucking stations for them in Philly.

And now to advertise my hubby's new blog - he has an opinion on the "real" reason why Pat made his comments: www.facemonkey.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/01/2005 00:08:44
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  08:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
"And I can't tell the difference between ABC News, Hillstreet Blues
And a preacher on the Old Time Gospel Hour
Stealing money from the sick and the old
Well, the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"

Bullet the blue sky (Live)
U2
Rattle and hum

http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/lyrics.src?VID=17&SID=117

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.