Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  11:47:49  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
How many times have we seen someone come in here, run out of argument, then go ad hom, and then split? That looks exactly like what is happening with the former House Majority Scumbag Leader.
quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - Stung by his recent indictment in Texas, Tom Delay is trying to turn his legal woes into a financial boon for his re-election. The former House majority leader is using his congressional campaign to distribute to voters derogatory information about the prosecutor who brought the charges against him and to solicit donations for his re-election.

"Help Tom fight back," reads one of the solicitations on the Web site that voters are being directed to as part of an Internet-based campaign funded by DeLay's re-election committee.http://www.TomDelay.com

Contributors, voters and others who sign up can get regular e-mails and an electronic "toolkit" from DeLay's campaign with the latest disparaging information his legal team has dug up on Texas prosecutor Ronnie Earle.

I can't wait for the bug-hunting son-of-a-bitch to go to trial!

Bug-hunter (n.): Describes a petty thief of the Victorian era that mostly specialized in rolling drunks and stealing laundry.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  02:50:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It'e been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, so Garrison Keillor took the time to write a complimentary letter to the Honorable Mr. DeLay.
quote:
My Dear Mr. DeLay:

I have been waiting two weeks for one Republican to leap to your defense and express outrage at a grand jury so callous as to indict a virtuous man, and nobody has. They've all been coy and cautious and whispering to the press that you are not their favorite guy in the whole world, so I am going to stand with you, sir, and cover your back. I don't like to see a man abandoned that way.

When you're a Jet and the spit hits the fan, you've got brothers around. You're a family man. I am an old liberal and if we had a Hammer, we would support him in the morning, and in the evening, all over this land. You are the greatest political fundraiser since William Marcy Tweed, sir, and that Texas grand jury is trying to referee a football game by the rules of badminton.

And passes on a bit of supportive advice:
quote:
This country was not built by nervous nellies and Sunday school teachers but by bold marauders, dodgers, Sooners, buffalo hunters, forty-niners -- people who saw what they wanted and took it. You're one of them. Politics is about power. You grabbed hold of it and became King of the Republican Hill, a majority leader who knows that one can never have too much majority.

I am disappointed by your attempts to beautify yourself. It's pitiful, sir, and demeaning to blow-dry your hair and try to project warmth through those drill-sergeant eyes and belt-sander voice. You're the man, sir, who redrew the map of Texas to squeeze more Republican congressmen out of it, and got Indian tribes to pay for you and yours to fly to Scotland first-class and play golf, and who paid his wife as a consultant, etc., etc., etc. Personal warmth was not what got you to the dance. The rest of us tiptoe through the tulips, fearful of giving offense, but you, sir, are one brass monkey.

When/if DeLay takes his long-overdue fall, I wonder if he'll take any of his fellow travelers with him....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  13:04:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Sweeet!
quote:
Texas Court Issues Warrant for DeLay
Oct 19 2:27 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By SUZANNE GAMBOA
Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN, Texas

A Texas court on Wednesday issued a warrant for former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's arrest, and set an initial $10,000 bail as a routine step before his first court appearance on conspiracy and state money laundering charges.

Travis County court officials said DeLay was ordered to appear at the Fort Bend County, Texas, jail for booking, where he'd likely be fingerprinted and photographed. DeLay's lawyers had hoped to avoid such a spectacle.

The warrant, known as a capias, is "a matter of routine and bond will be posted," DeLay attorney Dick DeGuerin said.

The lawyer declined to say when DeLay would surrender to authorities but said the lawmaker would make his first court appearance Friday morning.

The charges against the Texas Republican stem from allegations that a DeLay-founded Texas political committee funneled corporate money into state GOP legislative races through the National Republican Party.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  14:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Sweeet!
quote:
Email this story

By SUZANNE GAMBOA
Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN, Texas

A Texas court on Wednesday issued a warrant for former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's arrest, and set an initial $10,000 bail as a routine step before his first court appearance on conspiracy and state money laundering charges.

Travis County court officials said DeLay was ordered to appear at the Fort Bend County, Texas, jail for booking, where he'd likely be fingerprinted and photographed. DeLay's lawyers had hoped to avoid such a spectacle.

The warrant, known as a capias, is "a matter of routine and bond will be posted," DeLay attorney Dick DeGuerin said.

The lawyer declined to say when DeLay would surrender to authorities but said the lawmaker would make his first court appearance Friday morning.

The charges against the Texas Republican stem from allegations that a DeLay-founded Texas political committee funneled corporate money into state GOP legislative races through the National Republican Party.

I dont like Delay much but what did he do that was illegal? What has he done that democrates haven't done? What he did was unethical but not criminal as far as I can tell.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  15:31:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

quote:

Sweeet!
quote:
Email this story

By SUZANNE GAMBOA
Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN, Texas

I dont like Delay much but what did he do that was illegal? What has he done that democrates haven't done? What he did was unethical but not criminal as far as I can tell.

Yeah, but he's been doing it for years with impunity. Among other things, the thugs that disrupted the vote count in FL 2,000 were identified, in a large percentage, from his office. For years, to cross DeLay was to commit political suicide.

The current charges include money-laundering like some cheap, Mafia asshole.

I know it won't happen, but I hope the rat-bastard gets hung out to dry like a fresh cowhide.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  00:01:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb
What has he done that democrates haven't done?
That is irrelevant. The question here is if he broke the law.
Democrats who break the law should also be prosecuted.
quote:
What he did was unethical but not criminal as far as I can tell.
Then he will be cleared. The prosecutor seems to be of a different opinion.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  00:28:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
DeLay committed a politition's single, greatest sin: he got fucking caught.

If we had an investigative press corps like that of the Nixon era instead of a gaggle of cheap hacks the likes Judith Miller and Robert Novak, et al ad nauseum, a lot more of them would be going down, Democrat as well as Republican, although the percentages would be tilted a bit toward the Republicans as they seem to be a tad more greedy and underhanded.

I wonder if, assuming he's found guilty, he'll get a presidential pardon, or, as this is a state charge, maybe a pardon from the TX governor. And in any case, I further wonder if he'll get re-elected, even though he's had his district wired for years.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  01:42:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

I wonder if, assuming he's found guilty, he'll get a presidential pardon, or, as this is a state charge, maybe a pardon from the TX governor.
As things are going, W might be quite busy at the end of his term....
Edited by - Starman on 10/20/2005 01:45:50
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  04:09:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
snip:
quote:

DeLay committed a politition's single, greatest sin: he got fucking caught.

If we had an investigative press corps like that of the Nixon era....

Where's Wood-Stein when we need them?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  08:56:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Where's Wood-Stein when we need them?

There are press out there who would LOVE to get the scoop on some of the shit going on inside this admin...

What is missing is a person on the inside who recognizes what is going on, how illegal it is, and is willing to give details to some reporter.

They learned the Watergate lesson well... surround yourself with only people who are just as fucking guilty as you are, so if the shit hits the fan they will get splattered as well.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  14:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Beat the xmas rush and order now!
(no affiliation, just tickled pink about it all)

http://www.cafepress.com/thewhitehouse/866007

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  17:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well, we've all seen the 'mugshot' photo of DeLay that is alledged to have been taken when he was booked; the one, you know, the publicity shot where he's grinning like the grill on a '53 Buick. Here's one reputed to be the real deal:

Looks a tad miffed at being treated as any other citizen might be in similar circumstances, doesn't he? He also looks a lot like most of the common miscreants you see in mugshots.

Found it at Bartcop.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  12:01:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
So the happy face photo is a fake? Wow, that's interesting.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  13:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy...

Well, we've all seen the 'mugshot' photo of DeLay that is alledged to have been taken when he was booked; the one, you know, the publicity shot where he's grinning like the grill on a '53 Buick. Here's one reputed to be the real deal:
I'd be skeptical of this black and white mug shot photo. There seems to be a discrepancy with regards to where his hair is parted. Notice the 3/4 view with the part on the right side. In the front view it appears to be parted on the left. I've checked some other photos of DeLay and his hair is generally parted on the left. I would suspect a mirror image in the supposed mug shot, except that the little lapel pin he is wearing is still on the left side. A realistic looking fake mug shot could be created in Photoshop. I'd like to see if this photo turns up through any other reliable sources.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  14:43:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I can't even see a hair part, but then my eyes ain't what they used to be.

I smelled fish with the grinning 'publicity' shot because I've never seen a mugshot done in color with no number, not even my own (ADW -- dismissed, if you must know).

Of course, they might be using color these days, but there will always be a case number on them. One thing the b & w pics did lack was the hight scale, but the case file will have that. I suppose there's a possibility that both photos are false, but I don't yet buy it.... We shall see in due course.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  17:11:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy...

I smelled fish with the grinning 'publicity' shot because I've never seen a mugshot done in color with no number, not even my own (ADW -- dismissed, if you must know).

Of course, they might be using color these days, but there will always be a case number on them. One thing the b & w pics did lack was the hight scale, but the case file will have that. I suppose there's a possibility that both photos are false, but I don't yet buy it.... We shall see in due course.
From the first time I saw the smiling happy color "mug shot" of DeLay I was suspicious, too. That's the one they were presenting on news broadcasts from the day he turned himself in. Even then I had to wonder if it wasn't his own support team that put that version in circulation.

I'll also need more evidence to believe the black and white duplex photo presented above is the real deal, mainly for the hair part discrepancy I mentioned. I've been working with Photoshop and other photo manipulation software for years, and although that composite looks pretty good, I'm not yet convinced. Faking it wouldn't be beyond the ability of any reasonably competent computer imaging technician.

Photography is one of my hobbies, and a few years ago I was involved with a photography group on the Internet. We had an assignment to create a photo that showed our inner being or some such thing. I decided to spoof the actual project and have some fun by making a bogus mug shot of myself. I printed out a height gauge and taped it to the wall, applied a bit of theatrical makeup, and messed up what hair I do have. Remember, this one was set up, 100% artificial, and will not be turning up on the bulletin board at your local post office. See my very own home made fake mug shot here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.