New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  01:22:39  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Hate to end my posting term here on a bad note, but this looks rather bad.

It looks like the Administration is clamping down on scientists more and more....From one of the links (Cosmic Variance) quoted from the first linked article above:

quote:
The Big Bang is "not proven fact; it is opinion," Mr. Deutsch wrote, adding, "It is not NASA's place, nor should it be to make a declaration such as this about the existence of the universe that discounts intelligent design by a creator."

It continued: "This is more than a science issue, it is a religious issue. And I would hate to think that young people would only be getting one-half of this debate from NASA. That would mean we had failed to properly educate the very people who rely on us for factual information the most."

Now, I've read in "Discover", a layman's science mag, about some people who have SCIENTIFIC reasons to dispute the big bang, but that doesn't seem to be the administration's concern, really, is it?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 02/05/2006 01:30:44

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  01:39:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I would suggest that Deutsch is a pipsqueak who's probably not going to have any staying power with this thing. Nice try on his part, but that bat won't fly. It'd take something more like armed intervention to get space scientists to pretend the Big Bang isn't the preeminent theory of cosmology. I think this legend-in-his-own-mind hotshot is probably way out on a limb by himself, acting without real backing.

But it certainly is interesting, and his commands to NASA might be the beginning of a push on the physical sciences by the Republicans and their theocratic allies.

Deutch may have just as well called for NASA to stop talking about the Earth being spherical. He's making a laughingstock of the Administration.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  03:43:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

It looks like the Administration is clamping down on scientists more and more....From one of the links (Cosmic Variance) quoted from the first linked article above:

quote:
The Big Bang is "not proven fact; it is opinion," Mr. Deutsch wrote, adding, "It is not NASA's place, nor should it be to make a declaration such as this about the existence of the universe that discounts intelligent design by a creator."

It continued: "This is more than a science issue, it is a religious issue. And I would hate to think that young people would only be getting one-half of this debate from NASA. That would mean we had failed to properly educate the very people who rely on us for factual information the most."

Now, I've read in "Discover", a layman's science mag, about some people who have SCIENTIFIC reasons to dispute the big bang, but that doesn't seem to be the administration's concern, really, is it?

In this, Mr. Deutsch, who wouldn't know science from the hole in his head, is correct. It is a strictly religious issue, at least as far as the YECs are concerned. Anything that might cast the least doubt upon an already, highly doubtful set of beliefs must be attacked.

Heh, this idiot and the idiot(s) that appointed him have nothing even like a theory to replace the 'Big Bang' and never will. All they will ever have is conjecture, and a pretty weak conjecture at that. Indeed, it is telling that Bush, far from a mental or moral or ethical giant himself, should appoint such an unqualified person to such a post. But then, he does a lot of that, doesn't he?
quote:
Erm, are you going somewhere?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/05/2006 03:48:24
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  06:20:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Ig has informed me (since we're sneaky and speak outside SFN's realm) he's been sacked. He'll be away until he gets his life back on the tracks.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 02/05/2006 07:25:42
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  07:29:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:

Ig has informed me (since we're sneaky and speak outside SFN's realm) he's been sacked. He'll be away until he gets his life back on the tracks.

Wishing all luck, and hoping out friend returns soonest.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  11:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Here's a link to a Time magazine piece by Karen Tumulty and Mark Thompson on the Bush administration's efforts to force science to serve its right-wing religious and political ideology, as well as the financial interests of its business and industrial patrons:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1156535,00.html

One quote:
quote:
Last week, in his State of the Union address, the President pointed to scientific research as the way to "lead the world in opportunity and innovation for decades to come." Yet growing numbers of researchers, both in and out of government, say their findings—on pollution, climate change, reproductive health, stem-cell research and other areas in which science often finds itself at odds with religious, ideological or corporate interests—are being discounted, distorted or quashed by Bush Administration appointees.

The way the nitwit Commissar Deutsch has tried to tamper with NASA over the Big Bang seems to be more a general, systematic campaign than I had thought when I posted earlier. The more I look into this, the more alarmed I become. Lysenko, indeed.

Here's another link, comparing Bush and Stalin in their manipulation of science:

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0614-04.htm

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/05/2006 12:46:55
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  13:21:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Well if he has a home computer and a phone, there's always nocharge.com. Why would getting sacked mean he can't continue to chat?

BTW, if you're still reading Iggy, I've been fired twice in my long career and both times ended up with a much better job.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  13:25:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The comment about "half the debate" is the most disturbing, the corrupt cronyism Republican party aside. As if the Bible and science were both viable explanations of the Universe. Hey guys, while you're including the Bible in the debate, be ready to include every other mythical explanation of the way things are as well.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  13:47:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

quote:

Well if he has a home computer and a phone, there's always nocharge.com. Why would getting sacked mean he can't continue to chat?

BTW, if you're still reading Iggy, I've been fired twice in my long career and both times ended up with a much better job.

I think it means he'll be busy trying to get a new one...?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  14:02:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
beskeptigal chimed in:
quote:
The comment about "half the debate" is the most disturbing, the corrupt cronyism Republican party aside. As if the Bible and science were both viable explanations of the Universe. Hey guys, while you're including the Bible in the debate, be ready to include every other mythical explanation of the way things are as well.

Indeed. Deutch seems even more confused than most of his ilk. He hadn't apparently gotten the game plan that ID is the accepted current buzzword for use in propaganda by the Religious Right, not Creationism. Then he's using a layman's street definition of "theory" rather than the much more rigorous scientific definition -- and even there he further weakens an already weak definition by equating "theory" with mere "opinion."

But maybe his real goal is to cause brain hemorrhages in scientists.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  04:08:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here's the BA's blog on this subject. There are 150 or so comments so far including a bunch of mine. (Under Beskeptigal) I have never read the BA to be so political but here this is affecting NASA where he works.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  09:27:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Thanks for the link to the BA Blog, beskeptigal. It seems like the longer we allow the deluded terrorist George W. Bush to have any amount of power, he will continue to abuse it.

Oh, and I was trying to get to the Bad Astronomy servers this morning and wondered why I was getting no connection. Apparently his current blog entry has created quite a stir!
quote BA Blog - Outrage at Attacks on NASA Science:
Note (added 15:30 Pacific time): due to this being linked from a lot of major sites, the server was getting hammered. I have temporarily turned off comments. Also, the permalink to this page is now a static HTML page instead of a dynamic PHP page, so that server load is reduced. Sorry about this; I'll put everything back to normal in a couple of horus when things calm down!

So let's run him some slack and go read it later.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  20:05:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
No means no! Keep your faith off my science!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  02:39:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

Thanks for the link to the BA Blog, beskeptigal. It seems like the longer we allow the deluded terrorist George W. Bush to have any amount of power, he will continue to abuse it.
JohnOAS had a link to it also but in the wrong forum.

The blog and site are back to normal for the moment. I think the fact the blog got so much attention was very encouraging.

The latest tidbit is somebody now claims Deutsch never finished his degree. I hope he padded his resume and gets caught at it. That would be fun.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/07/2006 02:40:02
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  06:20:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

No means no! Keep your faith off my science!

I know you have seen it a thousand times.

George, now repeat after me, "You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to you own facts."

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  03:46:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well someone od the blog knew someone who knew Deutsch, the NASA Christian, hadn't finished his degree. My first thought was someone check his resume. Apparently copies of the guy's resume were 'leaked' by someone at NASA to the NYTimes. Funny thing that lying stuff. It's not a good idea to piss someone off that has a copy of your resume which you lied on.

He resigned!

Seems those extremist Christians have the hardest time not lying and not stealing.

Maybe Ig could apply? For the NASA job, not the Christian one.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/11/2006 03:22:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds.