Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 self promotion - look, mom, I'm an artist!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  09:28:31  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
A couple weeks ago during one of the chats Kil and some other SFN peeps encouraged me to post my graduate thesis exhibition. It is loosely related to skepticism in that my naturalistic worldview - particularly my interests in evolution, ecology, and new biotechnologies - inspires a lot of my art. Not to say that any of these pieces have a specific message that I could explain in a short paragraph. They are supposed to be interpreted differently by different people. I'd love to hear anyone's reaction, critical or whatever, to these pieces.

Here's the whole show:

Here are the sculptures up-close with info:
http://www.paintedprimate.com/art/sculptures1.html

And here are the prints up-close with info:
http://www.paintedprimate.com/art/prints1.html

Enjoy!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 06/06/2006 09:29:20

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  10:04:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Cool! I wish I could see the showing in person...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  10:32:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Cool. Where is this exhibit? You've probably said and I'm not remembering.

Gemini is a bit twisted in a good way.

The rest of the stuff is thought provoking. Some whimsical and some serious.

Excellent work.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  11:45:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I love Red Mummu, Easy to hold b/w, and Self portrait with sphinx. Ive always been a fan of art with odd phrases on them.

Not a big fan of the scuptures because I judge on whether Id like them in my house, those are just too bright and wild for me...

I like the painting Doors very much, Its very well balanced and has interesting details.

Face Kitten works well for me too.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  13:23:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
The prints are great, Marf (esp. "Self portrait...") but tell me more about the medium. I don't know much what a "wood relief" is...
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  13:42:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Wonderful stuff, marf! Even from a distance, it's startling and funny (both funny, "ha-ha" and funny, "peculiar".) In closer shots, neat to look at, ponder, and, especially to laugh with, not at. (Well, I admit I did laugh at some of the characters, surely you intended as much.) The damned stuff really makes me smile. (And not that nasty little smile I get when I go after verlch.)

You should make a book with photos of your critters, along with a story. Could make a great kid's book. I'll bet a publisher would grab it with all three hands.

BTW: What's the full text embroidered on the dog's (?) gown (?) ?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/06/2006 14:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  13:53:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Your prints are really wonderful. I'd like to forward your website link to some art lovers and galleries here. (Sacramento).

The determined look on the "Big Kitten" reminds me of a neighborhood cat I know named Buster, except he's gray rather than tiger striped.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  15:24:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Very lovely sculptures! Gemini is particularly good, as is Big Kitten. Parallel Evolution is just brilliant.
The prints are awesome, too - all of them, especially Easy to Hold.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  17:59:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Thanks for all your generous compliments. The exhibit is over now, but it was up from May 5-28 at the Museum of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Right now all the pieces are on display in my very cluttered home. I really need a new studio, but will have to wait many months until Will and I can afford to buy a house.

Val wrote:
quote:
Cool. Where is this exhibit? You've probably said and I'm not remembering.

The rest of the stuff is thought provoking.
I'd love to know what thoughts were provoked!

BigPapaSmurf wrote:
quote:
I like the painting Doors very much, Its very well balanced and has interesting details.
I loved that painting, but alas, it was never shown and is now destroyed. It was painted on cardboard and so wouldn't have lasted anyway (cardboard is acidic). But the reason I destroyed it was because it was too large to store after I graduated and no longer had a studio. I cut out the two hairless cats and threw the rest away. I think I'll do some prints based on that idea.

Cuneformist wrote:
quote:
The prints are great, Marf (esp. "Self portrait...") but tell me more about the medium. I don't know much what a "wood relief" is...
It is a pretty simple process. You take a soft wood board and cut out the parts you don't want to ink up. Like a stamp. If you do multiple colors (like I do) you have to either carve a new board for each color or you can do a reduction where you print one color, then carve away a little more and print another color on top of the first color. I utilize both in my color prints.

Half wrote:
quote:
You should make a book with photos of your critters, along with a story. Could make a great kid's book. I'll bet a publisher would grab it with all three hands.

BTW: What's the full text embroidered on the dog's (?) gown (?) ?
I keep saying I'm going to illustrate a children's book based on a story written by my kindergarten students a few years ago. It's called "The Five Princesses and the Dragon".

The last stanza of a poem I wrote for my brother when he went into the Marines. (He dropped out by the end of boot camp and is now an actor, but at the time I didn't know that would happen.)

My brother, I lost you one day. You disappeared so fast that I didn't notice for days. Now I see you in visions, walking the forest underneath a bright and ancient moon, looking for a tree to cut down. When I miss you I weep.

Chippewa wrote:
quote:
I'd like to forward your website link to some art lovers and galleries here.
Please do!

Sib wrote:
quote:
Very lovely sculptures! Gemini is particularly good, as is Big Kitten. Parallel Evolution is just brilliant.
The prints are awesome, too - all of them, especially Easy to Hold.
Easy to Hold is the only one that sold at the show. Although I sold 3 other p

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 06/06/2006 18:05:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.