Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  20:29:43  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.nbc.com/nbc/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/guests/

Jay Leno show, Wednesday night June 14 guests will be George Carlin and Ann Coulter. I hope Carlin turns her into a pile of quivering dog $#!+. Well, that shouldn't be too difficult...she already is one.
Not that Carlin is this way, but I could see the camera crew having to hold him back from knocking her block off.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  20:32:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I gotta see this! Thanks!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  21:09:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/TV/TV_Coulter_and_Carlin.html

Here's a bit more on the clash

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  01:33:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Why give the ----- the attention?

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  01:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I don't want to watch it. I can't stand to watch Chris Mathews anymore either since they played that 'off air' clip of him saying, "there's nothing worse than a know it all woman", referring to Hilary Clinton. There comes a point when disgust overrides curiosity. We'll see how curious vs disgusted I am tomorrow.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 06/14/2006 01:50:20
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  06:12:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ann Coulter has managed to make herself even more irrelevant than ever with her latest book, Godless, wherein she goes after the 9/11 widows in an extremely vulgar fashion. And I'm reading that a lot of it is cut & paste plagiarized. No credits given at all.

I'd like to ask sweet Annie a question, given the opportunity. I'd like to know what she does with her moulted exoskeletons, and would she give me one. I have, you see, an entomologist friend with a birthday coming up and I'd like to give her one for her collection.....

I'll give the show a miss, I think. While I'm an admirer of George Carlin, I have no intention of staying up that late for Coulter. The old man values his rest a lot more than he cares about the reaming she is likely to recieve. He'll read about it tomorrow, probably ad nauseum.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  14:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
For me, it'll be like driving past a auto accident...I hate to look, but I do anyway.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  13:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
George Carlin was absolutely brilliant in his opening routine. I hope a clip of it gets on the Internet! (It had nothing to do with Coulter, who hadn't come out yet.) Carlin and Coulter did not debate.

As for Ann Coulter - she attacks the widows (she calls "broads") who have lost husbands in 9/11 and who want questions answered. Barrowing a page from Mein Kampf, she defines all "liberals" as both an evil people and scapegoats in the same manner as the Nazi's defined all "Jews". The only difference I can see is that the Nazis built upon a vile history of anti-Semitism, whereas the Neocon scapegoating of "liberals" (i.e. anyone who questions them,) as disloyal, un-American, etc., was more latent until the Bush era. Regardless of one's political leanings, anyone with brains can see that she's really obscene and is guilty of the very thing she accuses people of: using 9/11 as fodder for her own agenda. Her career is based on it. Her obscenity is sensationalist which guarantees best seller status for a time.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  13:32:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Carlin's routine sucked. He was somewhat entertaining on the dais.

Damn DVR cut off when Coulter came on. Thanks for the summary.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  13:40:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I TiVo'ed the Tonight Show, and just now watched it.

There were no fireworks between George Carlin and Ann Coulter.

Carlin gave a wonderfully funny, breathless, rapid-fire stand-up routine in which he listed the qualities of a 21st Century Man. The loathesome Ms. Coulter promoted her book, and told whoppers. She bragged that her book was now the number one best seller.

Leno treated Coulter with kid gloves. One got the impression that Carlin was asked to remain silent. Sadly, there was no significant interaction.

Also, the studio audience seems to have been packed with screaming male Coulter fans.

Leno should be ashamed.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/15/2006 13:45:48
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  14:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I flipped it on and off since Steven Colbert was on Letterman and a much funnier watch. I thought Carlin's bit was boring also and I thought the same when I saw it before.

I was totally disgusted there were cheers for Coulter. Boos were not audible. Leno excused her presence claiming she was the equal but opposite of Michael Moore. That's absurd. Moore is not the scumbag Coulter is. What is wrong with these people who equate those two, cheer for Coulter and buy her books?

The most I heard her say was Liberals didn't mind being called Godless but attacked her comments on "the Jersey Girls".

Godless? Where's that irony meter icon? Or should it be the hypocrisy meter?
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  14:14:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Leno is what Leno is. He's not Donahue as he doesn't want to be where Donahue is.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  14:43:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I was disappointed that there was no confrontation but that's the kind of show it is. Leno was pretty persistent in asking Coulter if she wasn't just being mean spirited by using phrases like “broads” in her description of the 9/11 woman. What he was getting at, since he pretty much said so, is that she is calculatingly provocative to sell books. I thought that he was impressive for Leno who is, after all, the Tonight Show host and not really into confrontation. Letterman very well might have torn her a new one with a few well-placed remarks.

I remember, a while back, Rush Limbaugh was on the Letterman show. Letterman just kind of sat and let Rush go on with his baloney for much of the interview. And then Letterman let him have it. He sat back in his chair, looked at Limbaugh and said “but really, don't you ever feel like you're just a great big bag of hot air?” Limbaugh was so stunned he went speechless, his mouth agape…

One of my favorite Letterman moments…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  14:56:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I was disappointed that there was no confrontation but that's the kind of show it is. Leno was pretty persistent in asking Coulter if she wasn't just being mean spirited by using phrases like “broads” in her description of the 9/11 woman. What he was getting at, since he pretty much said so, is that she is calculatingly provocative to sell books. I thought that he was impressive for Leno who is, after all, the Tonight Show host and not really into confrontation. Letterman very well might have torn her a new one with a few well-placed remarks.

I remember, a while back, Rush Limbaugh was on the Letterman show. Letterman just kind of sat and let Rush go on with his baloney for much of the interview. And then Letterman let him have it. He sat back in his chair, looked at Limbaugh and said “but really, don't you ever feel like you're just a great big bag of hot air?” Limbaugh was so stunned he went speechless, his mouth agape…

One of my favorite Letterman moments…

I recorded that Rush on Dave moment. It was pretty routine, the Limbaugh made a jab at Clinton. That's when Dave did the 'look-in-the-mirror-see-a-bag-of-hot-gas' funny comment.
I tuned into Rushhead's radio show the next day. His dittoheads were so angered at Letterman's rudeness at him. What weinies. The big bag comment was as rough as it got.

The Leno show last night....a big dud. A Carlin/Coulter match may be more befitting for the pit at Jerry Springer's studio.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  19:41:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
When searching for a video of Rush on Letterman, I came accross this.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  20:17:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Are you talking about this, Ricky? If so, it's beautiful. The guy scored 30% on the test he thinks everyone should take. Of course, since he thinks we can get rid of the Department of Education, perhaps his poor test result is to be expected.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.