Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  19:20:29  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
truth, also known as qxcd, sent me this link. I'm about half way through the 27 minute audio clip. I think the best line so far is:

"So God came down in a human suit to kill himself to save us from him?"

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  19:43:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

truth, also known as qxcd, sent me this link. I'm about half way through the 27 minute audio clip. I think the best line so far is:

"So God came down in a human suit to kill himself to save us from him?"

I haven't heard the clip yet, but as for the quote-- I've often laughed at that thought myself. I haven't ever been able to put it so well before, but I've thought of things right along those lines...
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  21:16:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Dammit. Matthew 21 what?

I'm guessing Matthew 21:18-22, but I'd like to know for sure.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  23:38:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Interesting web site as well. I'll try to get the time to listen to the recording tomorrow.

I've said before the whole idea of claiming Jesus suffered and died for the sins of humans is absurd. Why should having more humans torture and kill your child move you to forgive the same people for your earlier complaints about them?

"For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son."

Really? For what? Did it relieve God's tension or something? Wasn't it God who was doing this forgiving? God gives his son to be tortured and killed because that makes God forgive the people who ate some fruit for Pete's sake!

Is there even any logic to that? Why not just forgive people. Why not just forgive them after they say 10 hail Marys or something?

And calling Jesus God's son. So beings God made out of dirt and called children aren't as good as an offspring God implants in one of those dirt creatures later on. That makes Jesus a son?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  03:27:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Interesting web site as well. I'll try to get the time to listen to the recording tomorrow.

I've said before the whole idea of claiming Jesus suffered and died for the sins of humans is absurd. Why should having more humans torture and kill your child move you to forgive the same people for your earlier complaints about them?

"For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son."

Really? For what? Did it relieve God's tension or something? Wasn't it God who was doing this forgiving? God gives his son to be tortured and killed because that makes God forgive the people who ate some fruit for Pete's sake!

Is there even any logic to that? Why not just forgive people. Why not just forgive them after they say 10 hail Marys or something?

And calling Jesus God's son. So beings God made out of dirt and called children aren't as good as an offspring God implants in one of those dirt creatures later on. That makes Jesus a son?

[My emphasis.]

He made humans an imperfect replica of Himself in the first place. Seems to me the Creator should take all reponsibility for His creation, and ought to be understanding about its weaknesses.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/18/2006 03:28:09
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  12:45:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Makes you wonder who thought the whole thing up. Also, makes you wonder why so many people have bought the Jesus story without any critical thought about the matter.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  13:31:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

Makes you wonder who thought the whole thing up. Also, makes you wonder why so many people have bought the Jesus story without any critical thought about the matter.

Indeed. What crummy writers, what clueless hacks, not to consider and correct the logical inconsistencies of their plot.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  17:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Not too crummy, though, given the success.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  17:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

Well, this brings up a whole host of other issues. I mean, according to mainstream Christian doctrine, I cann't get to heaven by helping people, doing good deeds, etc. Only though Jesus can I get to heaven. What sort of petty god is that?

I've always mainatined that even if the god Yahweh were real, I'd have serious objections to worshipping it. I mean, the threat of hell is rather compelling and all, and that's a pretty good reason to go through the motions. But how sad is it that that is why I'd even bother!
Go to Top of Page

Giltwist
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:15:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Giltwist's Homepage  Send Giltwist an AOL message  Send Giltwist an ICQ Message  Send Giltwist a Yahoo! Message Send Giltwist a Private Message
How come none of you make posts like this about Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, or any of the other religions in the world?

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Giltwist

How come none of you make posts like this about Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, or any of the other religions in the world?

Because only Christianity is the one true religion, and so therefore Satan compells us to attack it.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  10:57:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

Lack of provocation. Were I constantly verbally assailed by the ridiculous aspects of other religions I would post about them. (Unless of course someone else had already said what I wanted to say better than I would have said it. )

I live in Pulaski County, Kentucky. We're right beside McCreary County, Kentucky in the lawsuit against the ACLU fighting to post the Ten Commandments in the courthouse. Stupid Christian bullshit taints many of my waking hours. It's more irritating than sand in a bathing suit.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  11:56:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

What Wendy said. Adding the Christian assault on science, on evolution, on gays, on separation of church and state, on any sex education or STD control other than teaching abstinence, on abortion, on needle exchange programs...........[fade out still listing subjects]

I think there have been a few jokes about the 72 virgins.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 06/20/2006 11:58:00
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  14:34:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

quote:

What Wendy said. Adding the Christian assault on science, on evolution, on gays, on separation of church and state, on any sex education or STD control other than teaching abstinence, on abortion, on needle exchange programs...........[fade out still listing subjects]

I think there have been a few jokes about the 72 virgins.

Also, someone posted something about how some Islamic pre-med students in Britain have been refusing to accept evolution in their bio classes. Apparently, Christian fundies are a bad influence for Islamic nutcases. The point is, though, that Christian fundies have simply been the leading anti-scientific force in the world of late. But Islam's close in the race, with an arguable lead in the sexual and gender bigotry area. The other world religions have pretty much been left at the gate.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  16:49:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

Yeah, as per others' responses, it's definitely a squeaky wheel issue much of the time.

It probably says a lot about the societies most of the posters here live in, but it would seem that if someone is going to be annoyed by someone else imposing their religion where it doesn't belong, statistically the person doing the imposing is very likely to be a christian.

However, I'd love to here stories from people who've been mobbed by groups of taoists spruiking and/or handing out brochures.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 06/20/2006 16:50:30
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  20:28:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
In Sweden, the only groups I've met doing door-to-door evangelization are Mormons and Jehova's Wittnes. Jehova's far outnumber Mormons over here, I've only met Mormons once. Though I find their kind annoying, they are pretty much harmless.

Swedish Pastor Green who was prosecuted for attacking gays got off thanks to "religous freedom". That irks me more. And then there are those caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed. That really bothers me, and my government betrayed the constitution by not defending the publication of pics.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.