Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  14:52:35  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
Anyone know what would prevent avatars from showing up, or make them show up as "broken links"?
I'm using Firefox Browser, with Windows XP on my laptop computer. Dr. Mabuse suggested it may be a firewall setting possibly. Any ideas?
McQ

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  19:57:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Your avatar is looking great to me.

Is it someone else's avatar? I can't say I've fixed all the buggy ones. Give me a user name, and I'll take a look.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  20:52:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Your avatar is looking great to me.

Is it someone else's avatar? I can't say I've fixed all the buggy ones. Give me a user name, and I'll take a look.

It's got to be me. I can't see anyone's avatar with this computer, but I can with my son's and my work computer. I finally tested the site with those two. I'm sure I've got something switched on or off or something with this computer that's preventing it. I'm such a spaz sometimes! LOL!

Sorry for the false alarm, Dave. I'll figure it out eventually!

McQ

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  21:12:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
You know what? Boron10 is experiencing the same problem. Perhaps he'll see this sometime soon (or PM him about it), and offer some advice.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  21:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Is it only here, or is it all images on the internet?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  13:17:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Is it only here, or is it all images on the internet?

Just here. Every other site I go to is fine.

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  13:47:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Apparently the avatars here use ASP somehow. I don't know why they are, or really even what ASP is, I'm supposed to be learning that this summer...

Anyways, I think that would somehow be your problem.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  12:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
McQ, what firewall are you using?
Windows XP internal, or an external software like Norton, Symantec, or Zone Alarm?
Or are you behind a hardware firewall?

I used to have this problem when I used Zone Alarm (or was that Symantec) but there was a switch in the firewall to toggle, then it worked ok. But that was several years ago, so I don't recall what I did.

Tell us what firewall, and we could work from there...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  15:01:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
A firewall that blocks images from a specific site?

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  15:21:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

Quite possibly, depending on how the images are displayed. It's most likely an implementation blocking issue,such as asp which you mentioned, or javascript, rather than site specific, although with some software firewall products, the latter is also possible.

If you've used Mozilla's Thunderbird (which I highly recommend BTW), you would almost certainly have seen a mail client hiding images.

McQ, do you have more than one web browser you can try on the computer that's giving you grief?

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 06/26/2006 16:07:35
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  15:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

It could be an AD-blocking feature in the firewall.
The firewall interprets the .asp as an in-page AD.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  18:53:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:

Quite possibly, depending on how the images are displayed. It's most likely an implementation blocking issue,such as asp which you mentioned, or javascript, rather than site specific, although with some software firewall products, the latter is also possible.

If you've used Mozilla's Thunderbird (which I highly recommend BTW), you would almost certainly have seen a mail client hiding images.

McQ, do you have more than one web browser you can try on the computer that's giving you grief?

I do use Thunderbird and like it very much. I have IE v. 6.0 as my other browser on the same computer and the avatars show up there, so I guess it is something in Firefox, but haven't found out what.
Good idea to check that. It narrows the problem down a lot. Now, just to find out what in Firefox is causing it only on this computer....

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  21:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ
I do use Thunderbird and like it very much. I have IE v. 6.0 as my other browser on the same computer and the avatars show up there, so I guess it is something in Firefox, but haven't found out what.
Good idea to check that. It narrows the problem down a lot. Now, just to find out what in Firefox is causing it only on this computer....

Hmm, the code that fetches the Avatars looks like:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/getimage.asp?FName=McQ_HAL9000.jpg

This image will probably be broken, it's a copy of the same code I thought I'd paste into the message, but it seems to not want to work from this location.

It may be a path issue not resolved correctly for some browser version, if I try to explicitly view the URL, I get the following:

quote:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'

Invalid procedure call or argument: 'left'

/getimage.asp, line 7

Someone who can look under the hood at the scripts might be able to see what's up. I'd be looking for forward/backslash issues (which IE generally ignores, but firefox doesn't). It seems to be exiting before actually processing the filename, as it doesn't matter whether the name used is "real" or not.

McQ, you might want to check which version of Firefox you're running, there were some changes since earlier versions which resulted in some much better handling of some pages. I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.4, and Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180, and Avatars render fine in both of those.

I also thought I'd have a look at the page code, and just for kicks, put in a URL(this page, actually) into the W3C Markup Validation Service Page, but the errors were too numerous to be helpful! Some webmasters care about this, some don't.

As an aside, Thunderbird is an EMail/News Client, Firefox is Mozilla's web browser, which I believe you already installed and running.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 06/26/2006 22:02:19
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  05:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I've used firefox (many versions) before on this site and had no problems. Currently I'm using IE 7.0 Beta 2...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  14:53:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

I've used firefox (many versions) before on this site and had no problems. Currently I'm using IE 7.0 Beta 2...

Yep, I'm using the same versions of Firefox and IE as you, JohnOAS. I get the same MS VBScript runtime error message when I try to view the avatar directly too. I also got the same numerous (385) errors when I checked the W3C Markup Validation Service Page.

Oh well. I'll either just live with it, or use IE for this site, as the avatars render fine there.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and suggestions with this. You guys rock!

--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  18:57:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Hmm, the code that fetches the Avatars looks like:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/getimage.asp?FName=McQ_HAL9000.jpg

This image will probably be broken, it's a copy of the same code I thought I'd paste into the message, but it seems to not want to work from this location.
I believe it's done that way on purpose, to prevent "avatar theft."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.