Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 Consciousness, the border of the universe..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rudeonline

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  09:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Rudeonline's Homepage Send Rudeonline a Private Message
Since the mind and life institute is trying to explain more about science and spiritualism I would like to tell you my idea about consciousness. The thing is that men is looking in the wrong direction with A. Einsteins relativity theory. Not light itself is moving, we are moving true time and space with the speed of light. Light is only an energy leaving his source as a trail.

At the speed of light there is no time. So nothing can move.
From the point of view from a person each distance is a possibility into the future. While we travel true time we are able to see all options what the light is showing us.

To prove my idea I wrote the following text...

I can prove that the relativity theory of Einstein is wrong. The good point is that I can make this understandable for many people in a very simple way. The issue I try to prove with my idea is that our own consciousness is the absolute border of the universe. To prove this I have to prove that the speed of light is not 300.000km/sec but actually zero. I know that this sounds completely strange but read on and I will try to explain you in a short way how I think to prove this.

The first thing to know is that there is no time at light speed. How can something move if there is no time to move? Looking to the twin paradox a traveler true space leaves the earth and comes back and is only 1 second older. The person on Earth is than for example 2 years older.

If the traveler true space only became one second older, he never could make a longer trip than 300.000km. He had only 1sec to travel! The person on earth was traveling in the same "period" at least 30km/sec, because that is the speed of earth around the sun. Well, 2 years x 30km/sec is a lot more than 300.000km.

Off course I have to explain you a lot more than this, I just hope that I can open some eyes of the scientists working with this theory. If the theory is relative, you also should put it upside down. If light moves with 300.000km/sec one way, we are moving with the same speed the other way. Notice that we measure seconds, not the photon. You need time to move.

I would like to tell you a lot more about the way it is possible that we can "see" things if light is not moving, also this is not to difficult to understand. From the point of view from the individual all other positions are possibility's in the future. The person travels true time ( to tomorrow and so on..) while light leaves a trail into the past from the point of view where it comes from.

I hope that you understand my idea what I would like to show to the people. The idea of a multiversum is so a lot closer to mankind ( everyone is the middle of his own universe) ans consciousness is the border of the universe. We can chose our own future.

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  09:28:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Welcome to Milliways. Try not to insult the cow.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  09:34:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Hi Rudeonline.

quote:
The first thing to know is that there is no time at light speed. How can something move if there is no time to move? Looking to the twin paradox a traveler true space leaves the earth and comes back and is only 1 second older. The person on Earth is than for example 2 years older.

Where did the 1 second vs. 2 years come from? If someone were able to move for one second at light speed, show how the person not moving would be 2 years older. I don't think this is correct (not that the stationary person is not seeing time slower for the moving person, but that 2 years would not pass for one second.)

Have you taken into account the mass of the object as it approaches the speed of light?

Perhaps you didn't present enough information. Do you have a website and links to back up your theory, with the appropriate math?

Just stating that you think things are a certain way does not constitute proof here.

<edit to add the parenthetical statement>

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 06/28/2006 14:37:03
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:11:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
WTF, dude you are so far out there that you have come back from the other side. Sorry to burst you bubble but what you wrote is laughable at best.

Will this be a drive by posting?

In our universe we have mass in our equations.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  11:21:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message
Well if we travelled true space, as Rudeonline does, perhaps we'd see things differently as well.

Fear not, Rudeonline. I'm sure all the scientists eyes are wide open in stupified amazement at your post.

Look, time doesn't flow and we don't move. Space twists and warps around us givng us the illusion that these other things happen. We are not in a state of general relativity; we are in a state of individual absolute objectivity. It's the other guy that doesn't get it, see? We cannot measure the distances between us without meeting to trade ends of the measuring tape, thus altering the results. Before we actually do the measure we are neither near nor not-near. Our conciousness, as you call it, is another dimension composed of monadic superstrings of quasi-diemnsional thought that travel at the speed of love along that measuring tape. That's why love is measured in inches. Get it?

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Edited by - dglas on 06/28/2006 11:37:33
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  13:23:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Do you think you'll be taken seriously here, when you weren't over at...

Skepticality Forum
JREF
Infidel Guy
PhysOrgForum
The Naked Scientists Science Discussion Forum
Bad Astronomy and Universe Today
Fourth Dimension: Tetraspace
bewustzijn :: Onderwerp bekijken

You only posted once at Skepticality. Are you a one post-pony?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  14:00:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
If the traveler true space only became one second older, he never could make a longer trip than 300.000km. He had only 1sec to travel!

If I understand General Relativity right (and I probably don't...), to the traveler, time appears to be functioning normally. It is only to a "stationary" person who observes the traveler that time appears to be moving slowly.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  14:34:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, Rudeonline.

I think you are very confused about the universe about you, and indeed ignorant about what Einstein's Theory of General Relativity actually has to say. What you write could also be more carefully written, as your grammatical errors and general sloppiness make difficult concepts even harder to communicate. Until you understand what you are opposing, and can coherently express your own ideas, your fond hope that scientists will take your confused ideas seriously is a hopeless fantasy. Honestly, from your ramblings, I seriously doubt you presently have a mind that is capable of doing either.

I get an impression, though I could be wrong, that what you are proposing is almost a kind of solipsism. "Consciousness" is a word for our subjective experience as our brains process input from the universe. Any confusion of this subjective experience with the universe itself seems to me to be a serious delusion akin to psychosis.

I do not wish you luck in your pursuit to overturn General Relativity. You are doomed to fail, as you are hopelessly outmatched in this arena, and your attempt is a classic self-defeating crank obsession. But I do wish you luck in learning some basics about what you are attacking, and in trying to organize your own consciousness in the process.

But if you are yet another drive-by, one-time poster wasting people's time, then screw you and the horse you rode in on.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/28/2006 14:35:51
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  16:41:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rudeonline

I can prove that the relativity theory of Einstein is wrong. The good point is that I can make this understandable for many people in a very simple way. The issue I try to prove with my idea is that our own consciousness is the absolute border of the universe. To prove this I have to prove that the speed of light is not 300.000km/sec but actually zero.

Hey, pass that doobie over here, man.

<fffffffffffffttttt>

Oh, yeah, now I see. Far out!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  16:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Okay.
That means that...
our whole solar system...
could be, like...
one tiny atom in the fingernail
of some other giant being.

This is too much!

That means...
one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--
Could be one little...
tiny universe.

Could I buy some pot from you?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  00:11:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Since the mind and life institute is trying to explain more about science and spiritualism I would like to tell you my idea about consciousness. The thing is that men is looking in the wrong direction with A. Einsteins relativity theory. Not light itself is moving, we are moving true time and space with the speed of light. Light is only an energy leaving his source as a trail.

At the speed of light there is no time. So nothing can move.
From the point of view from a person each distance is a possibility into the future. While we travel true time we are able to see all options what the light is showing us.

To prove my idea I wrote the following text...

I can prove that the relativity theory of Einstein is wrong. The good point is that I can make this understandable for many people in a very simple way. The issue I try to prove with my idea is that our own consciousness is the absolute border of the universe. To prove this I have to prove that the speed of light is not 300.000km/sec but actually zero.

I understand some of what you are saying. It is interesting. It is true that people who go into space do come back younger than the people who stayed here, from what I've known. Is that part of what you mean?
Do you know about, down the rabbit hole? It sort of sounds like something they are saying too. And parallel universes. Oh, and talking about traveling through space I just thought of that movie with Jodi Foster, forget the name but everything you've said reminds me of how she went through a tunnel in space.
Also I think the philosophy of 'what is real' is different from the theories of scientists who try to prove what is 'out there', which is part of what you are talking about, I think! But still, what you said was something to ponder.
How do we know that what we see is not what we imagine in each of our own minds?
(I can tell you there are people who do live that way, haha. Some of them have posted on sites like this, LOL.) They know who they are.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  00:36:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
This reminds me of Futurama. The Planet Express engines did not propel the ship, rather it moved the whole universe around the ship and was thus able to achieve faster than light travel. Since we are not accelerating an object to the speed of light, we do not need an infinite amount of energy!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  02:11:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

I try to prove with my idea is that our own consciousness is the absolute border of the universe....I can prove that the relativity theory of Einstein is wrong. The good point is that I can make this understandable for many people in a very simple way...

Hello Rudeonline.
In a basic sense, when you use the term "consciousness", you are leaving physics and entering psychology. Many people casually assume that their self-awareness, which Julian Jaynes called "the consciousness of consciousness" is what consciousness is, but this is not true.

For example, there is an interpretation of the evidence in the surviving historical record and art that states that the people of ancient Greece as well as people in Old Testament times had no concept of self. They were highly intelligent yet very possibly in a different mentality from modern people. In other words, they were non-conscious. If this is true then your vague and ill-defined idea of the universe becomes even fuzzier.

If you're simply saying that wherever we go, we each appear to be at the center of an expanding universe, that is because the universe has no center and is expanding from everywhere without the need for psychology.

Also, opening by saying "Einstein is wrong" without saying why immediately places you with a lot of very misguided people. As soon as one states that Einstein or any other famous theorist is "wrong" should raise a self-imposed warning flag of humility. You should start by asking yourself where your ideas went wrong.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  02:43:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
He also posted on 'kritische kwesties', another dutch forum. He did have quite a lengthy discussion there. It died a month ago. I've just raised it from the dead

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  16:58:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I think you are very confused about the universe about you, and indeed ignorant about what Einstein's Theory of General Relativity actually has to say. What you write could also be more carefully written, as your grammatical errors and general sloppiness make difficult concepts even harder to communicate. Until you understand what you are opposing, and can coherently express your own ideas, your fond hope that scientists will take your confused ideas seriously is a hopeless fantasy. Honestly, from your ramblings, I seriously doubt you presently have a mind that is capable of doing either.

Totally agree that this guy is a crank, or deluded, or (to be VERY kind) not very familiar with physics or ANY part of Special or General Relativity.

However, you could maybe cut him some slack on the grammar or poor use of the English language as he is from a country that doesn't use English as a native language. I sure as hell wouldn't want to try and do this in another language. I'd screw it up royally, and I speak and read German and Russian! LOL!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  17:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Totally agree that this guy is a crank, or deluded, or (to be VERY kind) not very familiar with physics or ANY part of Special or General Relativity.

However, you could maybe cut him some slack on the grammar or poor use of the English language as he is from a country that doesn't use English as a native language. I sure as hell wouldn't want to try and do this in another language. I'd screw it up royally, and I speak and read German and Russian! LOL!

Good point, McQ. I had indeed not noticed that Rudeonline was writing from the Netherlands. I would certainly have the same problem, if writing in a language not native to me. I had just assumed the wording was the result of the sloppy writing of a sloppy mind (irony noted).

Still, in whatever language a person chooses to express himself (and rudeonline chose to write in English), doing so clearly is vital in getting a point across, especially when trying to make a very controversial point.

Maybe if one doesn't have all the tools at hand, one shouldn't take on the job.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/29/2006 17:17:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.