It's like Jack Chick, but with color!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  15:32:56  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
Although I mentioned this in another forum, I feel I should bring this up here.

Truth for youth

look at the comic titled evolution and watch the lies unfold!

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  18:37:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Ugh...I quit on Page 2 panel 1. At least I used some of their bandwidth...

When you can't beat 'em, lie and exagerrate.

I guess something on their level would be that after their god killed almost everyone on the planet during the Flood, it has been said (and may continue to be, I don't know since I don't run in those circles) that "negroes" came from the son of Noah that saw Noah naked and drunk, and Noah cursed him, thus giving the excuse for racism.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  00:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
There is no way those facts are true! I listened to a few minutes of the main page (click on the book in the middle of the site). They cite all sorts of quotes that supposedly were uttered by the founding fathers of this country, but the supposed quotes are modern Evangelical quotes that wouldn't have been used in the 1700s.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  12:43:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I call "racism" on that crap. Alleging racism falsely is racism itself, and that's what the loathsome "comic" does by falsely saying that modern science considers "Negroes" to be intermediary between apes and Caucasians.

Just another crude, racist "wedge" tactic, to try to drive people apart, in this case scientists and African-Americans, who otherwise are natural allies against the Neocon-fundy agenda.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/23/2006 13:25:30
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  12:51:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
This morning there was an infomercial fake religion program on the telly. And the theme? Almost all of the founding fathers had a "personal relationship with Jesus". New wedge strategy talking points plan, I think it's safe to assume.

This "personal relationship with Jesus" claim is what I mean by using modern phraseology and claiming the USA has always been a Jesus State. Somebody had to start this lie. Anyone know which equivalent Discovery Institute or perhaps even the DI the campaign originated from? I see this as one more strategy in the dangerous push to unseparate religion and State.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  13:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I've got no idea who came up with this recent historical revisionism. Best way to counter it is to quote the Founding Fathers ourselves.

[Dives into Google, searching Founders' blogs.]

[Edit: A start, below beginning with three doubting Thomases.]

Thomas Jefferson: "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury to my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
(Dumas Malon, Jefferson The President: First Term 1801-1805. Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1970, p. 191)

Thomas Paine: "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church. (Richard Emery Roberts, ed. "Excerpts from The Age of Reason". Selected Writings of Thomas Paine. New York: Everbody's Vacation Publishing Co., 1945, p. 362)

Thomas Adams: "As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion - as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, - and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arrising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries." (Charles I. Bevans, ed. Treaties and Other International Agreements of the United States of America 1776-1949. Vol. 11: Philippines-United Arab Republic. Washington D.C.: Department of State Publications, 1974, p. 1072).

I got the above quotes from here, a theological school's Web site.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/23/2006 13:48:59
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  14:40:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
The idiocy of the comics is really mind-boggeling. Although I have to say that they're less far out than the chick tracts, in my honest opinion. But only slightly.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  16:43:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Heh - Halfmoon I bet that second quote would be exactly what they would use as a "Personal relationship with Jesus". I've heard this one before from those that pick and choose what parts of the bible they like - since they have a personal relationship with their god, they don't have to necessarily follow what their leaders or the book says. They just follow their god (somehow).

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  17:56:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The one on homosexuality makes me want to puke.
Then again... so do the others...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  18:19:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Just another crude, racist "wedge" tactic, to try to drive people apart, in this case scientists and African-Americans, who otherwise are natural allies against the Neocon-fundy agenda.
You forgot "old," as in "Just another old, crude, racist..." This one has been around for 80-something years or more. There really isn't anything new under the creationist Sun. The ancient, crappy arguments in the comic are simply being spewed by characters with relatively modern haircuts and clothing.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  05:43:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message
Safe Sex and Evolution are included. Now, what are the odds?

Condoms don't work against AIDS. The HIV virus is so small, it passes through. Hmm. Weird. Because I am in Panama, where prostitution is legal, and whorehouses ask every female employee (yes, the whores) to use condoms, and cases of aids are rare in those places. Maybe AIDs is not real at all. Just a conspiracy created by condom companies to sell their products.

Evolution is disproven by comparing humans to bicycles. Wow. I'm impressed.

http://www.twismor.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.