Armageddon's the story on prime time news
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  15:53:46  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I laughed and laughed last night watching the Daily Show's montage of news programs and talk shows that all decided to have segments on the Apocalypse. "Is this Armageddon?" asks Paula Zahn. The clips were as if it was a real news story. Maybe if you wanted to do a piece on the idiots getting ready for the rapture, but as if it were a real story? The world is definitely falling apart but Jesus doesn't have anything to do with it.

Jon filled us in on the rapture indicator being at 146 or something in that ballpark.

There was a real story there but it wasn't what they covered in the clips.

Those of us who support Armageddon have naturally been greatly cheered by way the US president has embraced our cause. Satire I hope

The Christians are coming, the Christians are coming!

Some influential evangelical leaders are lobbying for an attack on Iran. But it's not about geopolitics -- it's about bringing about the End Times.

Rev. John Hagee, a leading cheerleader for the countdown to Armageddon.

Media Matters: CNN still fixated on Apocalypse predictors, still ignoring alleged invitation to White House, Capitol Hill There's a link to the Zahn clip.

Media Matters: ABC jumps on Apocalypse bandwagon: GMA host Roberts welcomes End Times authors' "insight" Link to that segment as well.

In Middle East conflict, other crises, conservative media find signs of Biblical prophecy of Armageddon This one's a crackup!

Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/04/2006 16:06:20

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  19:04:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Once again, John Stewart is succinct. Here is his bit about TV news media's fascination with the various end-of-the-world-anuses and their predictions. YouTube video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSsMcg1ZBGE

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  20:48:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Why not send a TV crew to Megiddo, the modern Israeli village, or to the ruins of the numerous ancient "Megiddo" cities on Tel Meggido (or Har Megiddo from which comes the Biblical name, Armegeddon)? After all, isn't that where the war to end all worlds is supposed to begin?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  21:05:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Why not send a TV crew to Megiddo, the modern Israeli village, or to the ruins of the numerous ancient "Megiddo" cities on Tel Meggido (or Har Megiddo from which comes the Biblical name, Armegeddon)? After all, isn't that where the war to end all worlds is supposed to begin?

Yup. If there was a real news outfit and they wanted to report historic facts, they could go to those places and report that these are the locations where the Armageddon battle took place many years ago. Then they could send a reporter to Europe and follow-up on where and when the myths of Armageddon became reinterpreted as future events. They could even touch up on the babblings of the king of mumbo jumbo, Nostradamus, whom the fundamentalists also believe in.

Maybe CNN could run a special report on how the "end times" scenario is all made up and added later to the Bible for political reasons. Yeah, that would be refreshing to see. Sort of like PBS's excellent Nova program of some years ago debunking the Bermuda Triangle, though that didn't stop bullshit documentaries popping up today.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  21:40:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The rapture index is 158 but was 182 on 9-24-01.

Bill Moyer wrote this in Dec of 04 about the rapture index:
quote:
In this past election several million good and decent citizens went to the polls believing in the rapture index. That's right - the rapture index. Google it and you will find that the best-selling books in America today are the twelve volumes of the left-behind series written by the Christian fundamentalist and religious right warrior, Timothy LaHaye. These true believers subscribe to a fantastical theology concocted in the 19th century by a couple of immigrant preachers who took disparate passages from the Bible and wove them into a narrative that has captivated the imagination of millions of Americans.

Its outline is rather simple, if bizarre (the British writer George Monbiot recently did a brilliant dissection of it and I am indebted to him for adding to my own understanding): once Israel has occupied the rest of its 'biblical lands,' legions of the anti-Christ will attack it, triggering a final showdown in the valley of Armageddon. As the Jews who have not been converted are burned, the messiah will return for the rapture. True believers will be lifted out of their clothes and transported to heaven, where, seated next to the right hand of God, they will watch their political and religious opponents suffer plagues of boils, sores, locusts, and frogs during the several years of tribulation that follow.

I'm not making this up. Like Monbiot, I've read the literature. I've reported on these people, following some of them from Texas to the West Bank. They are sincere, serious, and polite as they tell you they feel called to help bring the rapture on as fulfillment of biblical prophecy. That's why they have declared solidarity with Israel and the Jewish settlements and backed up their support with money and volunteers. It's why the invasion of Iraq for them was a warm-up act, predicted in the Book of Revelation where four angels 'which are bound in the great river Euphrates will be released to slay the third part of man.' A war with Islam in the Middle East is not something to be feared but welcomed - an essential conflagration on the road to redemption. The last time I Googled it, the rapture index stood at 144-just one point below the critical threshold when the whole thing will blow, the son of God will return, the righteous will enter heaven, and sinners will be condemned to eternal hellfire.
The rest is well worth reading.

This part is scary:
quote:
As Grist makes clear, we're not talking about a handful of fringe lawmakers who hold or are beholden to these beliefs. Nearly half the U.S. Congress before the recent election - 231 legislators in total - more since the election - are backed by the religious right. Forty-five senators and 186 members of the 108th congress earned 80 to 100 percent approval ratings from the three most influential Christian right advocacy groups. They include Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Assistant Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Conference Chair Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, Policy Chair Jon Kyl of Arizona, House Speaker Dennis Hastert, and Majority Whip Roy Blunt. The only Democrat to score 100 percent with the Christian coalition was Senator Zell Miller of Georgia, who recently quoted from the biblical book of Amos on the senate floor: "the days will come, sayeth the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land.' He seemed to be relishing the thought.....

...No wonder Karl Rove goes around the White House whistling that militant hymn, "Onward Christian Soldiers." He turned out millions of the foot soldiers on November 2, including many who have made the apocalypse a powerful driving force in modern American politics.

Here are another couple links from Moyer's article I found interesting.

The Godly Must Be Crazy is about the 'God wouldn't let humans ruin God's creation, the environment be damned' branch of Evangelicals.

Theocracy Watch is self explanatory. I decided I needed to bookmark that one.

Two more index sites:
Apocalypse Soon

This guy apparently ran out of enthusiasm in 03 and quit updating his index.

Everyone thinks they have the inside scoop.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/04/2006 21:56:42
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  21:55:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Seems there is no limit to the lengths people will go to trying to bring the end of the world on. I've heard about this rancher before. Look how all three religions have their End of Days beliefs tied up in this. Not a good omen for a simple peace movement to have this many nut cases believing war right now was meant to be.

Red Heifer Days; April 11, 2002
quote:
To Jews who adhere to ancient tradition, whose number include religious Israeli nationalists, the long-awaited Messiah will return to become the king of Israel and high priest of a rebuilt Temple, which can only be on Temple Mount. For Christian fundamentalists, Jesus Christ's return at the height of the battle of Armageddon, in which forces of the Antichrist clash in Israel with a 200 million-man army from the East, will require a Third Temple from which the Lord will begin a millennial reign. And for Muslims, an Antichrist figure called the Dajal will be a Jew who will lead an all-encompassing war against Islam, which will culminate in the return of Jesus (as a Muslim prophet), the Kaaba, or Sacred Rock in Mecca, transporting itself to Jerusalem, and final judgment in the valley just below the Noble Sanctuary.

"What happens at that one spot, more than anywhere else, quickens expectations of the End in three religions. And at that spot, the danger of provoking catastrophe is greatest," writes Israeli journalist Gershom Gorenberg in The End of Days, his 2000 book about the apocalyptic struggle over the Temple Mount.

So how does the calf recently born in Israel figure into things? As Gorenberg explains, the ashes of a flawless red heifer — an extremely rare creature — were required by the ancient Hebrews to purify worshipers who went into the Temple to pray. In modern times, rabbinical law forbids Jews from setting foot on the Temple Mount, thus violating the site where the Holy of Holies dwelled, until and unless they are ritually purified. Without a perfect red heifer to sacrifice, the Third Temple cannot be built, and Moshiach — the Messiah — will not come....

... In 1996, thanks in part to a cattle-breeding program set up in Israel with the help of Texas ranchers who are fundamentalist Christians, a red heifer was born. There was immense excitement among messianists of the Israeli religious Right, and their American Christian counterparts. The world media covered it as a joke, but it wasn't funny to David Landau, columnist for the Israeli daily Haaretz. He called the red heifer "a four-legged bomb" that could "set the entire region on fire." Muslim leaders worried about the red heifer too, as they would see an attempt by Jews to take over the Temple Mount as a sign of the Islamic apocalypse.

As it turned out, during the three years of waiting for the heifer to reach the ritually mandated age of sacrifice, white hairs popped out on the tip of her tail. This bovine was, alas, not divine. But now there's a successor, and rabbis who have examined her have declared her ritually acceptable (though she will not be ready for sacrifice for three years).
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2006 :  22:30:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Trying to find the current status of the beast I found a funny piece by Molly Ivins on the Red Heifer and Bush.
quote:

In Washington, the sophomore wienies who now staff the administration are far too terrified of Cheney to speak up, even if they had enough sense to notice it's going rather badly. Oh, for heaven's sake -- send Cheney back to south Texas so he can shoot at caged birds there. The Wizard of Oz had more credibility.

I think they're running around the Middle East looking for a red heifer. (For those of you who don't read your news straight from the Book of Revelations, a red heifer is needed to set off the Rapture. We're working on it.)

And here we have Rabbi Weil explaining
quote:
Zot chukat haTorah begins this week's parsha, telling us that the subject of the Red Heifer is the chok of the Torah. A chok is a law that is simply incomprehensible. It makes no sense to us whatsoever.

When I tell you that a person who had become ritually defiled by close contact with a human corpse could purify himself by counting seven days, and on days three and seven have the ashes of a red heifer sprinkled on him, you'll understand what I mean.

There is logic to honoring one's parents. There is a rationale for not stealing or murdering. But for purification in a ruddy, bovine shower, why would God ask such a thing of us?

I'll be honest with you. I don't know. But neither did King Solomon, the wisest of men. It seems that this is part of the definition of a chok, that its raison d'etre remains a mystery.

There are many chukim that defy a logical explanation — keeping kosher, not wearing a garment made of wool and linen and yes, ritual impurity. We can't ask the question, “Why do we observe them?” The only correct answer is that we observe these mitzvot because God told us to — period.

And somehow from that he concludes:
quote:
Through the parsha of the Red Heifer, we learn to value not just life, but every life.

Huh?

This article is more scary yet:

Expediting the end: Various religious groups are trying to play God and hasten the arrival of their messiahs

But alas, I can waste no more time trying to find out the current status of the last red heifer. Perhaps someone else can pick up the search where I left off.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.