Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  11:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
How the hell is everybody!!! Please let me know. Life is busy for me. Working, Writing, Family. Everything is cool. So let me know how eveyone else is fairing.
Any weird experiences happen to anyone lately? Me hmm I have to think about that. but none I can recall. Only lots of death at the animal hospital.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  13:09:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

How the hell is everybody!!! Please let me know. Life is busy for me. Working, Writing, Family. Everything is cool. So let me know how eveyone else is fairing.
Any weird experiences happen to anyone lately? Me hmm I have to think about that. but none I can recall. Only lots of death at the animal hospital.

Except from the varying pain in my hip, and aside from a little snag, rather good!

The only weird experience is a low-frequency vibration in the house that only my girlfriend and myself are able to sense. We have correlated it to the ventilation system, but the actual source/cause of it still eludes us. The vibration is causing physical discomfort, and disturbing our sleep.

But aside from that, life is good.
Nice to see you back.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/20/2006 13:09:53
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  15:02:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

Well, I've developed a snap hook in my golf game suddenly, after more than 25 years. I think it has to do with the two shoulders surgeries (rotator cuff) last year and wrist fusion surgery. No more competitive Judo for me from now on, either. I may switch my golf game from left to right handed, the way things have been going.

Let's see...what else?

My wife is still in treatment for thyroid cancer and my oldest son has Hodgkin's Lymphoma, but other than that, it's life as usual. I suppose that counts as weird.

I guess the golf game isn't such a tragedy after all.

How are you?

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  16:08:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The only weird experience is a low-frequency vibration in the house that only my girlfriend and myself are able to sense. We have correlated it to the ventilation system, but the actual source/cause of it still eludes us. The vibration is causing physical discomfort, and disturbing our sleep. But aside from that, life is good.

Well this reminded me of something, (keeping in mind Dr. Mabuse lives in Sweden;) years ago I bought a Volvo station wagon (of course I wanted the P1800 and yet my own one - but I digress,) though the station wagon was actually a very fine car I eventually traded it in. One problem it had was a low-frequency vibration that could actually make one ill after a while. All atempts to find the source or eliminate it failed. The vibration must have eventually left the car and returned home - to your house? I hope you find it. (I suggest parking a yellow 1974 Vovlo station wagon near your home.)

Other than that story things are OK with me. My mom is out of the hospital and doing well and I completed an oil painting on a commission from FedEx. It dramatically depicts a FedEx plane in flight. The painting was shipped last week and I got paid. Am happy about that.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  16:26:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa
...of course I wanted the P1800...

The vehicle of choice of one Simon Templar, me seems to remember.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  08:34:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Hi Storm, glad you're doing well.
I too am doing well.

I've racked my brain and I cannot think of anything strange (aside from the fact that the US war machine has caused the death of thousands of innocent Iraquis for no clear reason and the majority of the US public doesn't care in the slightest).

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  12:34:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur
I've racked my brain and I cannot think of anything strange (aside from the fact that the US war machine has caused the death of thousands of innocent Iraquis for no clear reason and the majority of the US public doesn't care in the slightest).
Now that is really weird. Especially since there's a very high pricetag attached to it, paid by tax-dollars.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  15:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'm glad you are doing well, Storm. Nothing really weird around my place, except for me. My old, bear-chasing Chihuahua, Missy, needs surgery to put her left hind kneecap back in place, and I'm hoping to attend to that very soon. In the meantime, she's learned to negotiate the stairs to the back yard on three legs. The Pacific Ocean continues not to sweep me away with a tsunami, despite my cheeky atheism.

In City of Villains, I continue to develop Galathea (named for Pygmalion's sculpting creation and wife), a stone/stone Brute, readying her for participation in super-villain base raids and other player-vs-player action. She now is at Threat Level 18. Galathea has the Rooted power, though she really needs the Granite Armor she will get later. She is one of the few villains in CoV whose choice of costume is no costume at all. I suppose this whole subject is "weird" to most people.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  15:30:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
(aside from the fact that the US war machine has caused the death of thousands of innocent Iraquis for no clear reason and the majority of the US public doesn't care in the slightest).

Because they are, well, you know, Iraqis. Not the same thing as humans, ya know.

Combined with the refusal of the US media to cover the number of civillian deaths in Iraq caused by our little invasion....

It is all rather disgusting, makes me want to move to New Zealand.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  15:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Dude wrote:
quote:
It is all rather disgusting, makes me want to move to New Zealand.

Just so ya know, the hole over the o-zone is right over NZ for a few months every year, and the rates of skin cancer are high. http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/285/5434/1709 Take lots of sun lotion!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/21/2006 15:49:52
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  19:09:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Hi Storm, nice to hear from you.

Australia is a lot more interesting than New Zealand though the boiling mud pots and caves are pretty fun. Furshur, don't assume the public doesn't care just because we don't have much representation in the media. Remember the couple 100 thousand war protesters that have been out demonstrating get very little coverage in the news.

I recommend the book, Exception to the Rulers" by Amy Goodman which I am halfway through for a comprehensive look at the US war propaganda machine. It may give you a little hope the anti-war crowd is out there, it just doesn't have a very loud voice right now.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/21/2006 19:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  20:50:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
Australia is a lot more interesting than New Zealand...

Squeeze me? Sure, Aussie's got crocodiles, koalas, kangaroos, platypusses(?), leafy seadragons and Yahoo Serious, but NZ has... flightless birds. Can't beat that!! Actually, Australia has a few of those as well. But it's too warm there. And who wants to see a fricking opera house, anyway?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  20:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

quote:

Squeeze me? Sure, Aussie's got crocodiles, koalas, kangaroos, platypusses(?), leafy seadragons and Yahoo Serious, but NZ has... flightless birds. Can't beat that!! Actually, Australia has a few of those as well. But it's too warm there. And who wants to see a fricking opera house, anyway?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed in NZ. Game. Set. Match.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  04:48:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

And where else can you see Hobbiton, fer cryin out loud!!!

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  22:55:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:

My time in Aussie was awesome. We traveled in a car with a tent, stayed in incredible national/state parks, had nothing but incredible experiences hiking deserted trails to incredible places with incredible wildlife. I never even went to the infamous Opera House though we did hit the Sidney Zoo to see the Platypuses that eluded us in our exploration.

Ever sat inside the bowl of the Singing Ship wind sculpture on the coast near the town of Emu, NSW, with a couple of quarts of beer on a night watching lightning flashes light up the mesa islands out at sea listening to the wind vibrate the cables?

How about hiking down a trail looking for some big waterfall and end up wading in a small stream thinking you missed the falls only to wade a bit further down and find out you were at the top of those falls and they dropped a good straight 400 feet down, all the while you were just swimming around totally unaware what was a few feet downstream?

Ever have someone drop you off in the Tasmanian wilderness to camp a few days and see your first kangaroos looking like giant rats silhouetted on the horizon as the Sun set? And see echidnas try to hide by burying their heads, or startle a wombat out of its slumber?

Drive your rental car down a dirt track, come to a sign that said 4 wheel drive only next 6k, and decide, what the heck, you've come this far, can't turn back now? Then you make it to the campground and find picnic tables and trashcans. Spend a great day hiking up huge rounded boulder hills, watch pelicans in the surf then when you are making your oatmeal for breakfast over a campfire the next morning suddenly see 6 foot long goannas peering into those trashcans?

"Jim, look behind you there's a lizard."

"I've seen a million lizards."

"Uh... this one is six foot long!"

Ever run down the beach chasing sharks in the surf?

See Koalas at the top of Eucalyptus trees listening to Kookaburras and some bird that literally sounds like a space ship taking off?

Watch emus and kangaroos and the biggest spiders and bugs that look like leaves that you've ever seen? Seen trees full of parakeets and lorikeets and parrots all the same color but different colors from tree to tree?

Nothing in New Zealand came close to the Australian wilderness experience I had. Though I have some incredible memories from New Zealand as well. We met some cavers there at a youth hostile that took us caving, and in the morning we were awakened by sheep munching the grass around the tent. Sheep munching grass make a lot of noise. It was great fun as were the hot springs boiling mud pots and eluding a campground host or two, setting up our tent without checking in.

Same trip, in Fiji it was land crabs hitting the tent in the middle of the night. They make very big shadows. And the fruit bats are huge the first time you see them. First time I heard of Yasser Arafat was in Fiji. A nice family had us in for dinner. There was a picture of Mecca on one wall and one of Arafat on the other. My friend knew who it was, but it was new to me. Amazing when I think back on it now.

Man, I need to write a book.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/22/2006 22:58:22
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  23:04:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Doesn't look like there's much left of Hobbiton though I would go there given the chance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.