Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  03:59:05  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
...... the polls will soon be open.

I'm going around 9:00 AM, EST. The earily-morning rush will be over and I won't have to wait long.

"VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." -- Ambrose Bierce

Let's see if we can get it right this time!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  04:23:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Gotta love Ambrose Bierce and his Devil's Dictionary! (Hey, whatever happened to that guy?)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  04:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
No one knows. Ambrose "Bitter" Bierce, dissappeard in Mexico while on a project that involved interviewing Pancho Villa. He was some 70+ years of age at the time.

Sort'a makes our current crop of well-known 'journalists' look like a bunch of pussies, doesn't it?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  05:03:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
Let's see, who do I vote for this time?

Or

Tough choice.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  05:41:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Even though I know that my vote will not matter in Alabama, I'm going to vote in a few minutes.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  06:35:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message
Am probably letting myself in for it... I have not voted in the past sixteen years because I have not been impressed enough by any one candidate to feel it was worth the effort. Since I don't vote, I feel I have no right to complain and so sidestep most political discussions. I've often wondered why so many people seem so divided over what seems to me to be a choice between evils. This year, however, I actually dislike a couple of our local/state candidates enough to want to go vote for whomever is running against them. May end up wearing one of those red, white, and blue stickers yet.

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  07:39:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
Well, the deed is done. Out, damned spot; out, I say.

No, not that deed. I have exercised my right to do something or other that has something to do with democracy.

And the South Park post was just for fun. I enjoyed that episode and it's timely, if not cheesy.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  08:02:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ocheewah

Since I don't vote, I feel I have no right to complain and so sidestep most political discussions. I've often wondered why so many people seem so divided over what seems to me to be a choice between evils.

That's nonsense. You are still a citizen whether you vote or not.

Voting doesn't make that much damn difference, but I did it today too for the first time since moving to historic Henrico County, VA using the fabled and historic touch screen voting machines, and I'm wearing a sticker with the likeness of some Native American that probably has more historic and fabled significance that I can't remember right now.

Hopefully, I'll come up with a better strategy than voting next time. I just need some money to buy a gun and learn how to shoot it.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I just couldn't wait until 9:00, so around a quarter after seven, I grabbed a fresh lid of snuff, slipped the derringer into my pocket, and hied myself off to the polls.

It wasn't at all crowded -- I live in quite a rural district -- and after casting my ballot, I got to stand around and gossip with the immortal, old ladies who, I declare, have been working the polls for at least 20 years and haven't aged a minute. And, bless their hearts, they were elderly the first time I voted in this county.

I voted the straight Irish ticket, Dim O'Crat, whilst hissing profane imprecations under my breath a'la The Rude Pundit.

I also debuted my handsome new cane, and the "I Voted" sticker is now adorning it.

ocheewah, your vote is your voice, bro. Apart from writing letters that are too easily and too often ignored, it's the only one you have. It's the only way that you can make a difference.

Now granted, it seems on the surface that one vote might not mean much, but this is incorrect. In a tight race, it can mean one hell of a lot! FL in 2,000, for example. Had there been just a few more, Bush and the SC would not have been able to steal it.

Damn, but I love election day! They just don't come around often enough...

Edited to add link. The Rude One is in good form today....

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/07/2006 12:06:17
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  12:02:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Well, it doesn't mean much, but it must have meant something to me, or I wouldn't have done it.

What's that quote about what you do being insignificant, but it's important that you do it?

Anyway, here in VA, the line is closer than Ohio, where I used to live. We have a Republican Senator running against a former Rebublican who worked for Reagan.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  12:15:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

No one knows. Ambrose "Bitter" Bierce, dissappeard in Mexico while on a project that involved interviewing Pancho Villa. He was some 70+ years of age at the time. Sort'a makes our current crop of well-known 'journalists' look like a bunch of pussies, doesn't it?

I'd like to think (pretend) that he ended up like the old guy in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Living in a Mexican mountain village as the respected medicine man, with plenty to eat and drink and pretty senoiritas rolling smokes for him.

Already we've been hit with a bogus, full color glossy brochure titles "Voting Guide for Democrats" probably published by the Oil Companies with likely republican money. While listing the main Democratic candidates (for show,) its real purpose is to kill a bunch of ballot propositions that are actually officially supported by the Democrats and other organizations. Gore and Clinton both appeared in ads supporting Prop 87 (less oil dependence, cleaner fuels) yet this bogus brochure says vote "no", along with a bunch of others propositions that comically read the opposite of the real voting guide. Its good that a lot of people think for themselves and throw all that stuff away.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  12:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
From some news items that I've seen, it appears as though the weather is fair throughout most of the country, and that people seem to be voting in heavy, greater than expected numbers. My polling place was unusually busy and crowded.

My shabby, lazy old Democratic Party, being the party of fair-weather voters at best and cross-over voters at worst, benefits from heavy turnout. This is shaping up well for Democrats, projecting from this tiny amount of data. It's too early to call, but it looks like, maybe, maybe, the GOP's excesses have finally caught up with them and have pissed off the potentially most dangerous political animal in the nation, the normally slumbering Democrat.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  12:46:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The Raw Story's headlines:

MEHLMAN: DEMS 'INTIMIDATE' VOTERS, NOT GOP
Problems in PA - Ind, Ohio, Fla - Utah 'fixing charges'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White House accused of altering 'mission accomplished' video

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poll worker charged with choking, pushing voter out
'ELECTION DAY NIGHTMARE' IN DENVER
FBI PROBES VA. VOTER INTIMIDATION BY GOP
Schmidt, Congressman have problems voting in Ohio

Novak predicts Democrats will gain 19 seats in Congress
RNC chair: Don't let Dems turn Iraq into 'another Afghanistan'
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing unexpected. All of the usual suspects are scumbagging up the election. Will it work this time? I don't think so.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  14:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Let's see if we can get it right this time!

We get it right when everybody votes.

I voted at 7am this morning and was surprised at the lines. In Texas we have 5 candidates for governor including this guy http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/ and all suck!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  14:09:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
You can't go wrong with the Kinky Talking Action Figure (only $20)!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  14:28:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

You can't go wrong with the Kinky Talking Action Figure (only $20)!

Or one of his campaign slogans "Why the hell not".

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.