Questions or Q&A ....and 1184 & 1210
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  23:13:42  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message
So, I have a question and a suggestion here, suggestion's first:

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I think a 'Sticky' thread designated for questions would be a good thing. Sometimes, like now, I have a question I think you guys could answer but don't think it deserves its own thread ... seems like a waste of a good thread/space. Like clutter. I dont like clutter!

Any, I will ask my question and bring up this suggestion of a sticky in the same thread so it doesnt seem so wasteful!

I started reading this book I'v had for a while now. I don't know why I haven't read it sooner or how I forgot I had it, but anyway.
There is a reference to something in it that I don't get, maybe one of you do ... perhaps a math geek smarter than me and my mathematician girlfriend.

The book is titled The Kingdom of Infinite Number and its written by Bryan Bunch. The reference is in the intro and is the last sentence of the first paragraph ... it seems more of a passing interesting fact than anything important to the book, but it has my curiosity highy peaked. I am typing the whole paragraph for context:

The intent of this field guide is to aid the reader in identifying numbers in the native habitats. Just as an experienced birder can tell which birds are hidden in the trees by hearing their songs, or recognize a species from a silhouette or a flash of color through the leaves, the experienced number-watcher learns to find the hidden secrets of numbers, to classify a number instantly, and to use number relationships to enhance the enjoyment of mathematics as well as to solve problems. Just as nearly everyone can recognize a robin on the lawn or crow's caw from the sound, most adults can easily spot one of the smaller perfect squares, such as 25 or 49. But the adept birder idetifieswhich warbler is singing in the woods and knows the profiles of all the birds of prey. Similarly, better number-watchers know that 10 is a triangular number, that 21 is in the Fibonacci sequence, and that [pi] is transcendental. The very best catch relationships such as the "amicable" one between 1184 and 1210.

What is this amicable relationship between 1184 and 1210 that he speaks of??? Does anyone know? (and btw, the writer used the quotation marks on amicable, not me.)

Mortui non dolent

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  23:35:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Google is your friend.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  23:43:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Oh, and as to your suggestion, this is sort of the type of thing I was hoping to see in The Water Cooler. But another sticky thread may not hurt. We'll give it some thought.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  08:29:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message
Two numbers are called amicable if each equals to the sum of the divisors of the other

Pagnnini 1866

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Go to Top of Page

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  08:31:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message
Pagannini, excuse me.

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Go to Top of Page

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  16:16:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message
Wow, I feel stupid Being more of a writer and lover of words I read amicable and instantly thought 'friendly'
I was like, "how the hell can two numbers be 'friendly' and just what does the author mean by that?" I asked my girlfriend if numbers were 'friendly' or had relationships mathematically that would be concidered friendly and she looked at me like I was taking pills or smoking god knows what...
So, Dave, I didn't think google would help me find out what 'friendly' numbers were. So I didn't look there. if I realized it was an actual property of numbers not associated with the meaning of the word 'amicable' I would have looked there...but thanks for directing me to that link.
I didn't know thats what that property was called
Oh, and next time I will use the water cooler for questions like these. I had the assumption the water cooler was more of a casual/joking around area. I'm new but I'll catch on quick, don't worry

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  18:35:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Mathematicians typically pick normal English words to define certain types of things:

Regular, smooth, normal, special, ideal

Are some examples.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  18:57:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Mathematicians typically pick normal English words to define certain types of things:

Regular, smooth, normal, special, ideal

Are some examples.

And don't forget irrational and imaginary!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  23:55:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Square, cube, real, rational, natural, complex, associative, commute, faithful, center (as used in abstract algebra, not geometry), identity, image.

I actually find this quite interesting. I wonder how extensive this list can get.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Google is your friend.

Or if you want a more rude version.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  09:40:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Antigone

Wow, I feel stupid
It was definitely not my intent to make you feel that way. And I didn't even ask Google about "amicable" or "friendly" numbers, I just searched for a snippet of the quote you provided. Specifically, I Googled "1184 and 1210" (with the quotes included), because I had no clue about the meaning of the term "amicable" in a mathematical sense, either. I was just as ignorant as you were until I did the Google search.
quote:
Oh, and next time I will use the water cooler for questions like these. I had the assumption the water cooler was more of a casual/joking around area.
Well, this has been pretty casual, yes?
quote:
I'm new but I'll catch on quick, don't worry
The Water Cooler thread itself has only been on this site for 31 days longer than you have. It hasn't been nearly as active as I thought it would be.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.