Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  02:00:06  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After careful study, in an attempt to get some kind of grip on the humor thing, I have now compiled my first rough version of what I'm calling the Standard Humor Matrix. It's a chart, and it pretty much makes sense of everything related to yuks. Thanks for the inspiration for the graphic should go to Beskeptigal, who posted a graph that made sense of the Creationism-evolutionism continuum.

(I do expect to be perfecting the Matrix over the next few days, so expect updates.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  02:32:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And why are puns outside of the matrix? Shakepeare was a master of puns. Please explain.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  02:39:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

And why are puns outside of the matrix? Shakepeare was a master of puns. Please explain.

I excluded because they are only humorous to the teller, although enormously so. (The technical term, "groan," by the way, was coined by the first person ever victimized by a pun.)

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/20/2007 19:44:57
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  03:08:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

I excluded because they are only humorous to the teller, although enormously so. (The technical term, "groan," by the way, was coined by he first person ever victimized by a pun.)

Not true. They are quite funny to hear as well. Perhaps I am the last remaining enjoyer of intellectual humor more so than stick. I do find myself zooming out at the flood of sex and dumb humor. Although, I am a fan of the dumb humor. Laughter, actually, has been described as a response to an unexpected scenario that is non-threatening. All humor is in someway a slight of hand trick played on the mind. Puns are a simpler version substituting one meaning for another unexpectedly. I enjoy it as simple as it is.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  03:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

I excluded because they are only humorous to the teller, although enormously so. (The technical term, "groan," by the way, was coined by he first person ever victimized by a pun.)

Not true. They are quite funny to hear as well. Perhaps I am the last remaining enjoyer of intellectual humor more so than stick. I do find myself zooming out at the flood of sex and dumb humor. Although, I am a fan of the dumb humor. Laughter, actually, has been described as a response to an unexpected scenario that is non-threatening. All humor is in someway a slight of hand trick played on the mind. Puns are a simpler version substituting one meaning for another unexpectedly. I enjoy it as simple as it is.

Well, each to their own re: puns, Neurosis. All I can say is I did a lot of science to arrive at the chart.

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:49:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Neurosis on this. I had an office mate in grad school who was a masterful punster. She was hilarious. I have always envied her ability to turn a pun. Perhaps, HM, you have not been exposed to good punnery.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  12:29:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, okay! Anyone doing real science knows to recognize his own errors in the face of evidence. I did mention that this was only the first version of the Standard Humor Matrix. I'll consider the above comments when doing the next version.

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  19:30:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HalfMooner I would have to say that since you are "an expert or opinion-leader who analyzes events in his area of expertise" here in this thread, that you can place the dots wherever you like. In fact, we all here are a bit like those dots, each representing one or more.

And with that I have to say that you are the "Pundot" (see above definition).

Groan.

I obviously suck at pun-telling and don't find too many of them funny. But it had to be illustrated!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  20:04:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with McQ here.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  20:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

HalfMooner I would have to say that since you are "an expert or opinion-leader who analyzes events in his area of expertise" here in this thread, that you can place the dots wherever you like. In fact, we all here are a bit like those dots, each representing one or more.

And with that I have to say that you are the "Pundot" (see above definition).

Groan.

I obviously suck at pun-telling and don't find too many of them funny. But it had to be illustrated!

Making good puns is a rather rare talent, as the above clearly shows (and I'm no better). Its been 25 years since I've been around anyone with the talent. When done well, it can be very funny. When done poorly... "groan" indeed.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  22:04:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this update should be the final retail release:

[Edit: Left a word out of the introductory text.]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/05/2007 04:33:47
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  05:57:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent description of puns. I love it.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  06:41:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:22:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love it! Nice quantum definition.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  08:09:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you, too. I'm sure that within a few days, some new idea will pop up, and I'll have a version 1.1. A Version 1.0 is always buggy! (Any ".0" Version.)

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  10:29:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm uncertain, but that definition of puns was a bit quarky to me, relatively speaking. It was a bit weak, and you just tried to force things in there.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.