Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  10:21:18  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
How to selectively read the bible

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  16:18:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That's rich! I thought the talking snake thing was metaphorical, but maybe I should have asked Filthy. He'd be aware of any metaphorical or poetic behavior in herps, I'm sure.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  22:54:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Good one!

The next time the JWs show up at my door, I was thinking about first demanding their coats and then taking them for a hike.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_teachings_of_jesus/index.html

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  02:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That pig over the cliff thing is really Mark 12-17, not 13,50.

From the Skeptic's Annotated Bible
quote:
5:12 And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.
5:13 And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand;) and were choked in the sea.
5:14 And they that fed the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that was done.
5:15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.
5:16 And they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil, and also concerning the swine.
5:17 And they began to pray him to depart out of their coasts.

"And were choked in the sea"
Jesus sends the devils into 2000 pigs, causing them to jump off a cliff and be drowned in the sea. When the people hear about it, they beg Jesus to leave.

The Miracle of the Gaderene Swine
(Briton Riviere, 1883)
Great cartoon.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/28/2007 02:01:44
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  03:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Good one!

The next time the JWs show up at my door, I was thinking about first demanding their coats and then taking them for a hike.

http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_teachings_of_jesus/index.html

Thanks Starman!
I haven't checked in on The Brick Testament lately...
Everyone should pay a visit! Start off with Love and Forgiveness.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.