Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Religion versus vaccines--sound familiar?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  18:53:06  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
I found this on the Fudies say the Darndest Things site--with comments included of course! So it us time in commenting on it ourselves! Yes, I'm a lazy bastard.

It's an Apologetics Press article. Religion versus science (or in this case, the useful applications of science) again. Something to remember whenever someone claims that religion is the basis for science.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  09:40:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message
Oh, their God!

These people are idiots!

This is clearly one of those examples of "When Religion Becomes Dangerous".

If that guys Phd is real, it should be taken away by the medical society.

Salud!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:54:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Luckily, I find no evidence that Dr. Harrub is a medical doctor. His PhD is in neurobiology and anatomy, which does nothing to prevent him from being stupid about HPV, vaccination, God's "laws," auto wrecks, human nature and reality. And simple facts, too, since Harrub seems to think there are 600 million people in the U.S.A.

You can ask all the parents in the world to teach their children to adhere to the Bible's allegedly moral code, but that won't stop HPV infection in young girls due to the actions of adults who don't adhere to "God's Law," like rape. (The seatbelts, doctor, are to protect you from some other reckless driver.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  16:46:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Oh I see. So protecting people who are going to have sex because it is fun and a natural desire sends the wrong message that having sex is ok. So the solution is to not protect those people and just let them get cervical cancer. After all, they deserve it for sinning. While we are at it, we should ban contraception in AIDS plagued Africa, stop teaching the contraversy (over sex education), and just completely ignore medical science as a whole, letting god sort 'em out.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  00:51:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Want to stump a fundy for a minute? (they will whip out the "satan" argument rapidly, but you can fluster them for a few seconds)

Ask them why humans are driven to reproduce. If god made humans, then didn't god intend to include the drive to reproduce? Didn't god intend for puberty to hit before cognitive developement catches up enough to allow reason to have a voice? Didn't god intend to flood the bodies of teenagers with hormones before they have the ability to make good decisions?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  01:07:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Want to stump a fundy for a minute? (they will whip out the "satan" argument rapidly, but you can fluster them for a few seconds)

To that I will then retort with the "Satan sure does kick god's ass alot" argument. About that time I am lumped in with the Church of Satan (which ironically does not worship Satan, unless of course you need to be higher level in order to hear about that, like the Xenu thingy)

I do remember reading Paradise Lost as a child and thinking Satan was the hero of that tale. After all, god made him second. He also insilled in him a desire for challenge (Who else then but god? ). The free will argument doesn't work here since angels do not have free will (if they do then god can reveal himself and not damage it, excluding the possibility that the angels don't know who they are working for, but that would be a fundy nightmare of an argument to embrace). Basically, Satan gets the shaft pretty hard (and god's really gonna work him over from what I read, worse than a catholic priest around Easter, about the time this Global Warming - nuclear holocaust - Plagues, Pestilence, and Piss from heaven shit hits the fan (all divinely planned into action by the G-O-D himself)).

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  08:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Ask them why humans are driven to reproduce. If god made humans, then didn't god intend to include the drive to reproduce? Didn't god intend for puberty to hit before cognitive developement catches up enough to allow reason to have a voice? Didn't god intend to flood the bodies of teenagers with hormones before they have the ability to make good decisions?

If I were to answer this from a fundy POV, I would say that originally Adam and Eve did not need to reproduce whilst they were in the Garden of Eden and in God's Good Graces. However, once they sinned, that introduced all kinds of bad things into the world, like death, aging, sickness, and libido.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  02:05:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
And I'd just laugh and walk away at that point.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  02:12:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:

If I were to answer this from a fundy POV, I would say that originally Adam and Eve did not need to reproduce whilst they were in the Garden of Eden and in God's Good Graces. However, once they sinned, that introduced all kinds of bad things into the world, like death, aging, sickness, and libido.

And I would call you a liar (something you would no doubt be used to as a fundy)

Genesis:

1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

It's fun to see them wiggle but like a worm the hook of logic will get them everytime. They have no recourse but to go into a happy place ignoring the gaping jaw of the large mouth bass which will soon consume them.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  03:29:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The elephant in the room here is the conspicuous absence of any mention of male premarital sex which may result in one of those little virgins until marriage getting cervical cancer regardless of her own behavior.

And of course rape is out of the question. That only happens to women who want it.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  06:07:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis
And I would call you a liar (something you would no doubt be used to as a fundy)

Genesis:

1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

It's fun to see them wiggle but like a worm the hook of logic will get them everytime. They have no recourse but to go into a happy place ignoring the gaping jaw of the large mouth bass which will soon consume them.

Doh!

But, you have uncovered the reason for sex drive for Dude's question - the reason is that God commands it. Having sex in order to multiply is just following God's commandment.

Having sex for pleasure...SATAN! Birth control...SATAN!

Now the diseases and other nasty things that go with having sex, well, I stand by my original statement.

It would seem to me (playing the fundy role here) that as long as you are having sex to multiply that age doesn't matter. Society, for some reason, is putting a restriction on fullfilling God's decree. I would then blame Secular Humanists(tm).

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 02/08/2007 06:10:19
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  18:28:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

The elephant in the room here is the conspicuous absence of any mention of male premarital sex which may result in one of those little virgins until marriage getting cervical cancer regardless of her own behavior.

And of course rape is out of the question. That only happens to women who want it.

The conspicuous absence of any mention does not preclude any thoughts concerning that very subject. The cynical part of my mind says that morally superior parents will gladly suffer watching the punishment of their daughter twice for no sin she ever committed.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  18:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

My girlfriend made the same exact observation when we discussed it. But she pointed out that the position is "males and females should not have sex until marriage and fear of cervical cancer will help ensure that they do not". This position is highly laughable but under it the men and women are equally encouraged by the vaccination since there is no danger once vaccinated. In a way, its like saying we will only give the vaccine to you after you are married (before the wedding night after the reception) until then your own your own.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  19:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Doh!

But, you have uncovered the reason for sex drive for Dude's question - the reason is that God commands it.

Actually, you said: "If I were to answer this from a fundy POV, I would say that originally Adam and Eve did not need to reproduce whilst they were in the Garden of Eden and in God's Good Graces." But they did, god said so. I called that a lie. Then you said disease, death, and libido were part of god's punishment after falling (off a rock, maybe?). That I would address by asking, "So, god's punishment for sinning is to ensure man will sin over and over again?"

quote:

Having sex in order to multiply is just following God's commandment.

Yep.
quote:

Having sex for pleasure...SATAN!

Nope, god made it pleasurable as punishment remember, not Satan.
quote:

Birth control...SATAN!

Hooray! Satan! God invents cervical cancer, man invents HPV vaccine, and Satan invents birth control. Score card is currently 0-1-666, favoring Satan all the way!
quote:

Now the diseases and other nasty things that go with having sex, well, I stand by my original statement.

Me too. God is a prick and Satan is my homeboy.

quote:

It would seem to me (playing the fundy role here) that as long as you are having sex to multiply that age doesn't matter. Society, for some reason, is putting a restriction on fullfilling God's decree. I would then blame Secular Humanists(tm).

Age ain't nothing but a number. On this I agree with you. So lets vaccinate the 9 year olds before they reach child bearing age, or at least the 13 year olds, they are primed for marrying off! I mean would you sell a dog without giving him his shots?

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Edited by - Neurosis on 02/08/2007 19:09:18
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  01:42:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Nope, god made it pleasurable as punishment remember, not Satan.

Perhaps before the Fall sex between Adam and Eve was not pleasurable, then with the introduction of Knowledge, we also got pleasurable sex (once they realized they were naked, maybe they got turned on..)

Anyway, trying to think like fundy makes my head hurt and I don't want to do it anymore. ;-)

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  02:04:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The conspicuous absence of any mention does not preclude any thoughts concerning that very subject. The cynical part of my mind says that morally superior parents will gladly suffer watching the punishment of their daughter twice for no sin she ever committed.

I heard one of the fundy moms spouting about abstinence only education which was shown to fail, she didn't care about preventing anything, she wasn't going to educate her daughter how to sin by telling her how to avoid the consequences.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds.