Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  02:52:21  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The blasphemy duo did an excellent job as well. It was amazing to me how idiotic people look defending their superstitions. Nightline actually asked questions like if the blasphemy group targeted young people they might be condemning them to eternity in hell.

It's unbelievable.

Rebecca (skepchick) took the challenge. I think that's great. I didn't bother because it seemed very unnecessary. It had the feel of challenging a superstition like walking under a ladder just to show you weren't worried. But I'm having second thoughts of doing it just to show support for rational thought. I'm going to have to think of a way to word it that makes it clear there really isn't a challenge to it.

But in the Nightline piece they mention the Blasphemy sponsors getting a lot of death threats so be careful about disclosing your full name for that reason.

**I posted this in more than one forum. And I found the link from our new member, FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's myspace page.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/15/2007 02:54:50

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  04:31:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
The reaction is interesting. The Rev. Kathleen Liles says "....how said it is that people are rejecting hope, essentially....."

She likens this to some angry teenage act, such as breaking windows. To say that it's necessary to have hope in fantasy, in order to make life bearable and to call other people angry for disagreeing with her angry view of life is just madness.

Sometimes life isn't what I want it to be, but I think it's more worthwhile to try to face life as it is, rather than "believe" in things that I wish were true. Why spend your life "hoping" for something other than reality? Sure, work for change and hope you can make a difference, but hoping for magic rarely changes things, from my observations of life.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  05:56:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

... I didn't bother because it seemed very unnecessary. It had the feel of challenging a superstition like walking under a ladder just to show you weren't worried. But I'm having second thoughts of doing it just to show support for rational thought. I'm going to have to think of a way to word it that makes it clear there really isn't a challenge to it.

I spent some time watching a few of the challenge videos on youtube and in one way felt that they were unnecessary, too. Mainly due to what we have heard hundreds of times, "Blasphemy is a victimless crime". But, I suppose that it is another way to get some people to consider religion with their eyes wide open.

quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

But in the Nightline piece they mention the Blasphemy sponsors getting a lot of death threats so be careful about disclosing your full name for that reason.

Death threats! WWJD? Indeed.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  07:04:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Meh. I find atheist proselytizing about as unappealing as religious proselytizing. I believe the Rational Response people are the same ones who declared "War on Easter" and went to churches - including progressive churches - in several major cities on Easter, giving children tracts which told them their parents were lying and isn't that mean?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  08:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
That's right. Atheists should just shut up about their "beliefs" and no one should attempt to persuade anyone to think differently, especially children.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:51:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Brian Flemming's response to critics (dated 2/13):

http://www.slumdance.com/blogs/brian_flemming/

quote:
I sympathize with the "nice guy" atheists -- and I am happy to give them cover by playing the radical to their moderate -- but I do hope they aren't truly so deluded as to believe that television news programs are just dying to host formal, rigorously intellectual debates on the finer points of philosophy. Sometimes it seems as if their criticism of the Blasphemy Challenge (and the media circus it has inspired) comes from just such a fantasy world.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 02/15/2007 09:53:17
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  09:59:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

That's right. Atheists should just shut up about their "beliefs" and no one should attempt to persuade anyone to think differently, especially children.

I have no problem with you giving your opinion, but it stops when you talk to my children about your beliefs without my knowledge.

Edited to add: I doubt these people would think it OK to talk to their children about God. I think the teen websites adds are subversive.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Edited by - Robb on 02/15/2007 10:18:30
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  10:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

quote:

I have no problem with you giving your opinion, but it stops when you talk to my children about your beliefs without my knowledge.

Edited to add: I doubt these people would think it OK to talk to their children about God. I think the teen websites adds are subversive.

On their own volition, would it be Ok for your children to read and consider non-Christian no-God opinions?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  10:32:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:

Yeah. I have a problem with those damn don't do drugs, don't smoke ads on tv that target children. And how about those people who say "God Bless you" when your chilren sneeze? Bastards. Or, "I'll pray for you?" Cheese and Rice!

Have a problem talking to my kids about god? Does anyone talk about anything other than god and football in this country?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  11:05:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:
Originally posted by Robb

quote:

On their own volition, would it be Ok for your children to read and consider non-Christian no-God opinions?

Yes. But as a responsible parent I would like to know what they are being taught.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  11:07:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yeah. I have a problem with those damn don't do drugs, don't smoke ads on tv that target children. And how about those people who say "God Bless you" when your chilren sneeze? Bastards. Or, "I'll pray for you?" Cheese and Rice!

Have a problem talking to my kids about god? Does anyone talk about anything other than god and football in this country?

Who do you think will be the next Chargers head coach?

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  11:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Who do you think will be the next Chargers head coach?

Whomever Jesus picks.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 02/15/2007 11:22:09
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  11:36:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Yes. But as a responsible parent I would like to know what they are being taught.

My problem with the war on easter was people going into churches uninvited and leaving things for children to find. I'm not sure of trespassing laws in that context, and I don't particularly have a problem with people leaving literature for children, but I think it's unwise in this era of hypersensitivity to child abductions, etc., and I don't think it's all that wise to tell people that they're liars because they say they believe in hell. They may be liars, but I don't know that.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 02/15/2007 11:37:22
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  12:15:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
How is that any differt from the Awake pamphlets I find left in various establishments?

*Awake is a Jehovah's witness publication.

Not saying I agree with it, but why make a big deal out of this and ignore the prostelyizing of the religious which is about a million times as prevalent.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  12:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I agree with Big Papa, but the difference is there is some merit to "proselytizing" about reality. Accepting reality is a good thing for those who wish to live in it. There is no merit to pushing superstition.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  12:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

How is that any differt from the Awake pamphlets I find left in various establishments?

*Awake is a Jehovah's witness publication.

Not saying I agree with it, but why make a big deal out of this and ignore the prostelyizing of the religious which is about a million times as prevalent.

I would have a problem with a JW giving me children publications without my knowledge.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.