Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  21:02:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
marfknox said:
quote:
That's not marginalizing.

If you were capable of understanding context (which you apparently are not) then you would not make such foolish statements.

It is just a matter of scale. You can marginalize things to your own thinking, or the scale can be shifted upward to any degree (for example, small farm owners being marginalized by coporate farming, or your own example of the government working to marginalize critics). The end result of the two larger scale examples(especially so with the government one) is, in fact, individual people marginalizing the subject on a personal level.

Your continued efforts to shift the context of this conversation (the one you and I are having) away from the point are noted and dismissed as the red herrings they are.

quote:
What she said was that while they have some ideas she agrees with, they also have ideas which require magical thinking, and other groups (such as the progressive wing of the Dems) offer the same or similar ideas to the ideas she likes about the Greens. You are again mischaracterizing what she said.

If that were what she had actually said, this thread would be about 5 pages shorter with a distinct lack of argument and red text from Kil.

So really, it is you doing the mischaracterizing.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  08:06:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If that were what she had actually said, this thread would be about 5 pages shorter with a distinct lack of argument and red text from Kil.
You are basically saying that your lengthy and constant objections, and the responses from others they provoked, prove that your interpretation of the meaning of what bgal said is correct. That is not logical.

You have brought up Kil's statement. Let's look at a couple that are relevant to your claim that I am mischaracterizing what bgal said:
quote:
She either stepped back from her claim of fact or she never meant her statement to come off as a claim of fact, which in subsequent posts of hers, she maintains as the truth.
and
quote:
In the case of an opinion, the conclusion is held much more tentatively than a claim of fact. It is understood to be a subjective rather than an objective conclusion. It would be nice if it could be objectively supported, but often it can't be. That's what makes it an opinion and not a claim to a fact. And what's more, beskeptigal will admit that hers is an opinion.
Bottom line: Whether you want to call bgal's original statement about Greens this kind of opinion as defined clearly by Kil, or a kind of rhetorical hyperbole, or just a mistake of wording, it is vividly clear that she did not mean it as a statement of fact.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  09:57:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
marfknox said:
quote:
You are basically saying that your lengthy and constant objections, and the responses from others they provoked, prove that your interpretation of the meaning of what bgal said is correct.

Take your straw-man and ....

Clearly you are incapable of engaging in rational discourse.

Really, you should atleast try not to make shit up when posting stuff here.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

inafoxhole88

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  17:23:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send inafoxhole88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I felt best represented in 1980, by Joe Walsh's 'Have A Party' party. The world seems to be goin' to hell whether we like it or not, and we might as well do what we can to make our own little microcosm as palatable as possible.
I suppose he's too partied out to run again. Sad.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  18:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often refer to my political slant with the old Monty Python phrase Neo-Fascist Post-Existential Communist. When pressed I'll admit to being a fairly militant centrist.

There's a natural history illustrator named Carl Buell, who calls himself Olduvai George, and he describes himself as a 1948 Republican. He yearns for the days when the Republican Party stood for liberty, little government interference in people's lives, and didn't suck up to religion and big business. He has a lovely web site at:

http://www.olduvaigeorge.com/

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Penyprity
Skeptic Friend

64 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  23:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Penyprity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always vote a democratic ticket. Although I like some of the Green Parties platform, I would have a problem voting where my vote could only split the ticket. Lets face it. Democrates and Republicans rule the roost when it comes to high offices. I just cant stand the republican platform, especially since they seem to have become the religous right instead of just another political opinion. I am a big believer of the separation of church and state and do not see a place for religion in politics. So if I vote Green, Independent, Libertarian...all I am doing is taking a vote from a party that actually has a chance of beating the republicans. Plus, once in a while...we get a Bill Clinton out of it. That makes me very happy.

Make your vote count. Become a supreme court justice......Peny
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  04:28:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN, Penyprity! And well stated. My thinking exactly.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  07:39:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Peny, I see by your post count that you only have ten more to go before your designation here moves beyond "New Member". That should only take another couple of years. Nice to see you doing something worthwhile with your time!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Penyprity
Skeptic Friend

64 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  19:28:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Penyprity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you HalfMooner. Im not exactly new but its been a while. As for you Kil...Gee thanks. Now I only need 9 more posts.

Make your vote count. Become a supreme court justice......Peny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.