Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  20:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The last time you used an "alternative medicine" was

Choices:
in the last week.
in the last month.
in the last year.
more than a year ago.
never.
to cure a massive hangover.
while trying to impress that cute girl/guy.
a colossal waste of $19.95.

(Anonymous Vote)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  02:40:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every spring, I drink a quanity of sassafras tea. My grandmother used to make us drink it to "thin out" the blood for summer. I don't know if it works or not but the habit has stuck with me life long.

I got so thin on sassafr's tea,
I could hide behind a straw.....

Don't remember the rest of it -- it has something to do with leaving Arkansas.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  04:24:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use herbal teas when I'm sick, and I'm sick right now. Yesterday I used ginger tea to help calm my stomach and peppermint tea to help clear the yuck out of my throat.

Edited to add: Mostly for temporarily alleviating the symptoms of colds 'cause I hate the side effects of over-the-counter cold meds.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 06/18/2007 04:25:35
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  05:09:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is drinking a shot or two of bourbon a day for "medicinal purposes" considered alternative medicine? My Father-in-Law has been doing it for years and he is approaching 90.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  05:45:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Is drinking a shot or two of bourbon a day for "medicinal purposes" considered alternative medicine? My Father-in-Law has been doing it for years and he is approaching 90.
I once read a quote attributed to a 16th century Bishop of Seville. It goes:
All of my life I have drunk a bottle of wine a day for the sake of my health; except on those days when I feel sickly, then I drink two bottles.
I'd say that bourbon (and wine) is medicinal. But is it alternative?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  06:07:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Every spring, I drink a quanity of sassafras tea. My grandmother used to make us drink it to "thin out" the blood for summer. I don't know if it works or not but the habit has stuck with me life long.

I just like the taste of the stuff. Kinda like root beer, as I recall.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  06:20:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by filthy

I just like the taste of the stuff. Kinda like root beer, as I recall.

Before the artificial gunk came along, it was a primary ingredient in the commercial soft drink. And today, some homebrewers use it in place of hops. The cajuns dry the leaves to make file' for gumbos and such. A sassafras perch in the hen house will keep mites at bay. All in all, a most excellent plant -- I wouldn't be at all suprised to find that it does indeed thin the blood.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  06:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've studied wild edibles, as a hobbyist, for many years. My understanding is that sassafras tea contains carcinogenic compounds. Sassafras was once used as a primary flavoring ingredient for root beer, but has been replaced with synthetic flavorings because of potential health risks. This article may be of some interest.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  07:05:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by GeeMack

I've studied wild edibles, as a hobbyist, for many years. My understanding is that sassafras tea contains carcinogenic compounds. Sassafras was once used as a primary flavoring ingredient for root beer, but has been replaced with synthetic flavorings because of potential health risks. This article may be of some interest.

Interesting indeed, and meaningless as far as I'm concerned. What with all the rest of my ailments and bad habits, the risk of a little 'fras-cancer is not even a distant blip on the radar. I will continue to have my gallon or so through the first weeks of spring and file' in my soup at any time of year. In fact, I just made some file' about a month ago. The leaves are young and at their best then.

Shit Gee, I've come to think that if we avoided everything & anything that might not be good for us, we'd all likely die of starvation. I certainly would.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  11:34:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does Multi-Vitamin & Minaral supplement count as Alternative Medicine?

Or medication used for a very different purpose from what it was originally intended?

I'm getting Glucoseamine on prescription, but not Kontritine. What are those considered?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  12:25:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy...

Shit Gee, I've come to think that if we avoided everything & anything that might not be good for us, we'd all likely die of starvation. I certainly would.
Oh, filthy, give up those dangerous natural ingredients and come on over to our side. After all, the synthetic additives are approved by The Feds. You have nothing to fear. You know it's the right thing to do, for your own good of course. Tomorrow you'll be one of us. We accept you, we accept you, one of us, one of us...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  13:26:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by GeeMack

Originally posted by filthy...

Oh, filthy, give up those dangerous natural ingredients and come on over to our side. After all, the synthetic additives are approved by The Feds. You have nothing to fear. You know it's the right thing to do, for your own good of course. Tomorrow you'll be one of us. We accept you, we accept you, one of us, one of us...

Surrender to the capitalist swine who run the bellywash and additive industries? NEVER!

Trust the Bushie Feds, whose track record for duplicity is equaled only by the late Alphonse Capone's Chicago administration? Not even as soon as never! Don't you realize that the fuckers are trying to turn us into weaklings, then kill us when we no longer have the strength to offer an ATM card? I'll surrender when the bald-headded bird shits up at Air Force One.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!, and fetch the Kalashnikov....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  12:46:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, define alternative medicine; I never drink tea, so I'm not sure if I ever used it. Don't think so; if anything, ginger, honey and mint, I think, for throat ache...

Actually, I hardly take anything at all (that is not related to my arthritis) - even when I'm sick. Go figure...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  14:12:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused by the question. Does alternative medicine include getting a second opinion and acting on those recommendations?

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  15:41:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This wasn't meant to be a difficult question: Alternative Medicine at Wikipedia.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  19:45:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it was the quotes that threw me.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.