New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  21:23:38  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Answers or comments.

http://tinyurl.com/2wkzyy

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  07:27:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the video people gave their personal philosophies that they try to live by. I didn't hear anyone able to articulate a personal meaning of life.

So a better question might be “what is it that gives your life meaning to you.”

But I will tackle the meaning of life question as it was asked.

My view is that life has no meaning beyond helping to guarantee, at least for a little while longer, the survival of the species I was born to, which I have already done. (It could be argued that what I did was counter productive to our survival given the problems with over population. But even so, we do have to get to another generation and someone has to do it, so why not me?)

What Keeps Mankind Alive?

(Wiell and Brecht 1928)

You gentlemen who think you have a mission
To purge us of the seven deadly sins
Should first sort out the basic food position
Then start your preaching, thats where it begins

You lot, who preach restraint and watch your waist as well
Should learn for all time how the world is run
However much you twist, whatever lies you tell
Food is the first thing, morals follow on

So first make sure that those, who now are starving
Get proper helpings, when we all start carving

What keeps mankind alive, the fact that millions
Are daily tortured, stifled, punished, silenced, oppressed
Mankind can keep alive, thanks to its brilliance
At keeping its humanity repressed
For once, you must not try to shirk the facts:
Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts.

You say the girls may strip with your permission (whoa!)
You draw the line dividing art from sin
So first sort out the basic food position
Then start your preaching, thats where it begins

You lot, who bank on your desires and our disgust
Should learn for all time how the world is run
Whatever lies you tell, however much you twist
Food is the first thing, morals follow on

So first make sure that those, who now are starving
Get proper helpings, when we all start carving

What keeps mankind alive, the fact that millions
Are daily tortured, stifled, punished, silenced, oppressed
Mankind can keep alive, thanks to its brilliance
At keeping its humanity repressed
For once, you must not try to shirk the facts
Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  21:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

On the video people gave their personal philosophies that they try to live by. I didn't hear anyone able to articulate a personal meaning of life.

So a better question might be “what is it that gives your life meaning to you.”

But I will tackle the meaning of life question as it was asked.

My view is that life has no meaning beyond helping to guarantee, at least for a little while longer, the survival of the species I was born to, which I have already done. (It could be argued that what I did was counter productive to our survival given the problems with over population. But even so, we do have to get to another generation and someone has to do it, so why not me?)

To answer your question: To serve God (this, in my case, implies not serving man)

Thanks for the poem. What does the poem mean to you?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  21:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I feel like I should be on a couch laying down.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  22:07:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

I feel like I should be on a couch laying down.

, funny response!

What are your thoughts on the video or your answer to the question?

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  09:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The meaning of life, to me, is 42.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  10:26:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Faster horses, older whiskey, younger women, more money...."

Life means whatever you want it to mean; anything or nothing.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  10:37:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

The meaning of life, to me, is 42.

Good answer!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  10:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I like the quote.

Is this not a self centered life?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  12:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

I like the quote.

In the final anyalsis, are not they all?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  12:26:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like the quote.

I would argue no, they are not all self centered. Did MLK live for himself, Gandi? I do not think so. Their meaning of life seemed to be the service of others.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  14:09:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like the quote.

I would argue no, they are not all self centered. Did MLK live for himself, Gandi? I do not think so. Their meaning of life seemed to be the service of others.

Maybe because it made them feel good. Maybe because they liked that feeling, that 'living for others', as you say, gave them. So, if it was such a thing, then it was only part of the selfish desire of feeling good with themselves...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  15:12:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siberia said :
Maybe because it made them feel good. Maybe because they liked that feeling, that 'living for others', as you say, gave them. So, if it was such a thing, then it was only part of the selfish desire of feeling good with themselves...

Do you have a reason to believe that the human condition in itself is selfish?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  15:35:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main purpose of being alive is to contribute to the gene pool of the species. All else is secondary.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  18:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regard to the question to do good. I am approaching 100 times giving blood. I imagine/hope that these anonymous gifts may have saved a life or two.

Siberia said :

Do you have a reason to believe that the human condition in itself is selfish?
In a previous post by you.
To answer your question: To serve God (this, in my case, implies not serving man)
Do you have any reason for us to believe that you serve God without the hope or expectation of reward. Everlasting life. Isn't that rather selfish of you? To do good with the expectation of a much greater reward.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  18:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The main purpose of being alive is to contribute to the gene pool of the species. All else is secondary.

Does that mean impregnating as many women as possible if you are a man?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.