Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Life on Mars/Europa (elsewhere in solar system)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  21:13:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The first organisms on planet earth did not require oxygen, indeed it was a scarce molecule. They produced it as a byproduct of their metabolism. Poisonous waste.

But if there was life forms which produced oxygen as a byproduct, then we would find oxygen on Europa.

But why are we arguing this if we know there is Oxygen on Europa? From Wikipedia:

In 1994, observations with the Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph of the Hubble Space Telescope revealed that Europa has a very tenuous atmosphere (1 micropascal surface pressure) composed mostly of molecular oxygen (O2).[19][6]

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 08/03/2007 21:15:21
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  21:32:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would any gasses produced by sea-life permeate the ice anyway?

And Dude most vent microbes discovered get energy by breaking down H2S and they use this energy and oxygen to convert CO2 to sugars thusly.

CO2+O2+4{H2S}#8594;CH2O+4{S}+3{H2O}

I'll concede the point that basic life does not require oxygen however. I do not see how this stengthens any case for life on Europa, you still need to make an origins theory fit there. So far we canonly speculate

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  11:09:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20147780/

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  12:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, thats not enough for me, bacteria were around for 2 billion years prior to that fossil, plenty of time for them to move into every nook and cranny. All it shows is an early extremophile, which is great in itself.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  12:07:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Something interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20147780/

Interesting indeed. I've long favored the deep sea, hydrothermal vents as the "warm little pond(s)" that, perhaps, cradled Earth's first, recognizable life.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  17:31:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

And Dude most vent microbes discovered get energy by breaking down H2S and they use this energy and oxygen to convert CO2 to sugars thusly.

CO2+O2+4{H2S}#8594;CH2O+4{S}+3{H2O}

I'll concede the point that basic life does not require oxygen however. I do not see how this stengthens any case for life on Europa, you still need to make an origins theory fit there. So far we canonly speculate
"We can only speculate," or we can go out and look. Science has always preferred objective evidence over speculation.

That's why sending probes to explore the extraterrestrial places likeliest in the solar system to harbor life would be in the very best tradition of science.

I would think that finding extraterrestrial life would be among the greatest scientific discoveries ever. Arguably the very greatest. On the other hand, if we found the entire solar system, exclusive of earth, to be sterile, this would also have great scientific importance, though it would also be a huge buzz-kill for many of us.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/07/2007 17:32:41
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  20:09:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Why shouldn't it? We know of several molecules that can diffuse into crystals... Ice isn't as solid as metal, or stone/rock for that matter. And since there is plenty of geological activity on Europa, including tidal forces, there should be plenty of cracks in the ice where oxygen can leak out into the atmosphere.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  08:39:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well considering estimates at the ice-sheet's thickness vary from 3km to 100km I think this is another matter totally up in the air. Another reason we know way too little to making bold statements abou how life is probable.

also I agree with BigPapaSmurf, certain extremophile bactaria may be some of the oldest on Earth but that doesn't necessarilly indicate that life originated in that environment. It's more likely life arose near the surface and spread to areas which were protected from steralizing events such as impacts. I don't buy the deep hot hypothesis sorry, this top down approach also doesnt accomplish much.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 08/08/2007 08:50:57
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  11:15:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"We can only speculate," or we can go out and look. Science has always preferred objective evidence over speculation.

That's why sending probes to explore the extraterrestrial places likeliest in the solar system to harbor life would be in the very best tradition of science.

I would think that finding extraterrestrial life would be among the greatest scientific discoveries ever. Arguably the very greatest. On the other hand, if we found the entire solar system, exclusive of earth, to be sterile, this would also have great scientific importance, though it would also be a huge buzz-kill for many of us.

Too bad Bush's 'send a man to Mars' project has ruined to space program. It would have been nice to send a few super-probes there.

also I agree with BigPapaSmurf, certain extremophile bactaria may be some of the oldest on Earth but that doesn't necessarilly indicate that life originated in that environment. It's more likely life arose near the surface and spread to areas which were protected from steralizing events such as impacts. I don't buy the deep hot hypothesis sorry, this top down approach also doesnt accomplish much.
Hey dont drag me down with you, Im not supporting your position. All I was saying is that the data in the article linked is only a marginal support of the 'abiogenisis near vents hypothsis'.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  14:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Too bad Bush's 'send a man to Mars' project has ruined to space program. It would have been nice to send a few super-probes there.
Right! We don't need a 60's and 70's era "Space Race" again. That was politically driven. I suspect little was learned about the Moon by Apollo that could not have been learned via probes, but the Moon landings were a political demonstration of American supremacy. Once the political goals of Apollo were reached, the program was dropped without follow-up. The fact that nobody's been to an extraterrestrial body since the 1970's says volumes. I find it fascinating that we went to the Moon in 1969, but we could not go there today.

We need science-driven space program. Robot probes where they are appropriate, manned missions where they are appropriate.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/08/2007 14:18:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.