Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  08:04:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
As my hip was slowly getting worse and worse, I decided little more than half year ago to seriously start doing something about my weight to relieve the stress on the hip.

Not to be too hasty, and get caught in a yo-yo situation, I started to slowly make changes in my lifestyle instead of just going on a diet.

Just before Christmans I weighed in at 92Kg.
Just before Easter, I'd lost down to 88Kg.
Then came the bleeding ulcer that really sent me plunging...
Today was the first time in at least 15 years since I've under 76Kg.

Now, I only have to maintain this weight. But I know now at least one thing that I failed to do before. Keeping meal portions moderate. I had already stayed away from sugar-sweetened beverages after 22:00 on work nights.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/03/2007 08:18:35
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  11:27:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Congrats, Mab!

On another note, glad I wasn't on it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  20:59:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
This came up in chat, when we were all sharing our cop stories:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/25628/

And an oldie but a goodie:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/irack

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/04/2007 21:24:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  02:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
My new computer is at last running stably, so I downloaded Photoshop CS3 from Adobe for a 30-day trial the other day. Liking it, I've now gone ahead and ordered a boxed copy from a discount, but apparently non-pirate, software house in Las Vegas. Just under $400, but that's actually cheap for this product. So I may soon be up to my old tricks again in Moonscape News.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  06:31:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Originally posted by HalfMooner
So I may soon be up to my old tricks again in Moonscape News.
We're looking forward to it.

(Oh, MY, how much abuse will I have to put up with after the last donation? Thanks, HalfMooner!)

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  07:04:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

So I may soon be up to my old tricks again in Moonscape News.
We're looking forward to it.

(Oh, MY, how much abuse will I have to put up with after the last donation? Thanks, HalfMooner!)

Five times as much as last time, I calculate.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  08:33:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Five times as much as last time, I calculate.

Bring it on...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/05/2007 08:34:46
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  17:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
More optical illusions. I hadn't seen the one with the pink dots before.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  18:08:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I've always wanted to create a gif of something like those you see at the bottom, but have them doing something crazy.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  10:16:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

More optical illusions. I hadn't seen the one with the pink dots before.
Is there an explanation for how these illusions work. I saw the green dot circling clock wise. I also saw at least half the pink dots disappear. I'd also be interested in any explanation for the moving images illusion.

For both does it take a computer or if I had a printed copy would I experience the same thing?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  12:53:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Today I had my follow-up gastroscopy.

It was just as horrible than the first one. But the good thing is that my ulcer seems healed. No more Omeprazol (I hate the taste of the pills, almost makes my want to puke)

Unfortunately, I was ordered to stay off all NSAIDs.
This means that I'll have to keep taking Tramadolhydrochloride as a substitute, which is bad for two reasons: It's not as effective against pain, and secondly, I'm going to risk developing a dependency on them.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  15:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

It was just as horrible than the first one. But the good thing is that my ulcer seems healed. No more Omeprazol (I hate the taste of the pills, almost makes my want to puke)

This means that I'll have to keep taking Tramadolhydrochloride as a substitute, which is bad for two reasons: It's not as effective against pain, and secondly, I'm going to risk developing a dependency on them.
Sounds like a good time to get that bad hip of yours replaced, Mab. Then your post-op pain meds may only need to be used for the short term.

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  00:26:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message

I had one of those last year. Can I just make a recommendation for anyone who is about to undergo one: IF GIVEN THE OPTION, USE GENERAL ANAESTHETIC!!! I took the "macho" route and only used some localized foul tasting pain killing spray down my throat and then had to suffer the ordeal of having a ten foot tube (at least) shoved down my throat and my stomach pumped up with air. NOT nice.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  04:29:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

Sounds like a good time to get that bad hip of yours replaced, Mab. Then your post-op pain meds may only need to be used for the short term.

I had one replaced a couple of years ago. The end result was excellent. Now all of us old farts and sit around the cracker barrel down at the store, pass the bottle around, and brag about our prosthetic body parts.

If the hip is really out of whack, you should get it done -- it'll never get any better on it's own.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  05:17:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I sure like the article about your present Rogue, William Chester Minor, Filthy. I'm glad you got him set up again in your sig after the minor site memory lapse here. It's wonderful that someone so crazy, and even dangerous, could contribute so much to learning, and find some kind of purpose, even from the confines of a madhouse.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/21/2007 05:57:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.