Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  20:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
When will the United States of America elect its next non-Christian President?

Choices:
Within 8 years.
Within 20 years.
Within 60 years.
Not before the 22nd century.
Never.
When the anti-Christ runs the One World Government, and the U.S. is just its puppet.
Catholics/Mormons/[name-of-group-here] aren't Christians anyway.
Other (please explain).

(Anonymous Vote)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  23:39:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, the U S A lost its sovereignty in Korea. The answer is obvious.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  00:48:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Answers #5 & #6 pretty much amount to the same thing. I might suggest:

When lying the country into a needless war becomes an impeachable offense that, if indicted, could/would result in big-time jail-time, or worse.

Which also amounts to the same, damned thing.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  01:22:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with the 60 years option, as it includes options 1 and 2 by default, making me statistically more likely to get a big payout on my considerable betting investment.

This assumes (fallatiously, of course, in keeping with the spirit of the thing) that all the options are equally likely.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  03:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
other: who the fuck cares, most of them lie about it anyhow. What matters is what they do while in office.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  05:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Dave, the U S A lost its sovereignty in Korea. The answer is obvious.
Also, peaches are my favorite ham. Q.E.D.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  08:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Studies have shown that religiosity is tied to how happy people are. Given that, when we get happy as a nation, not many will care if an atheist is elected president. Now for the hard part. We need to become a happy nation first... I'm giving that 60 years. But it could be never. Also, most european nations have a very big lead in that department. So does Canada.

We need to grow up as a nation. We have a long way to go...

By the way, I think a jew like Lieberman could win without much moderate christian or christian fundamentalist objection.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  08:38:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who would get elected first - a Muslim/Hindu or an atheist? Polls indicate that we atheists are lowest forms of life on the planet, and that anyone with religious beliefs is preferable...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder, who was the last non-christian president?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:18:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Screw religion, now that we have super-model newscasters, I want to know when we'll have the first super-model president.

I don't care about looking presidential, I wanna see Baberaham Lincoln.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  10:41:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

I think the argument could be made that some of the Founding Fathers (and so perhaps a President or two or three) were deists who paid lip-service to Christianity but certainly followed different ideologies. This poll is about the future, so I wanted to nip the "but we've already had non-Christian Presidents" complaints in the bud.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  12:07:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked other. The rapture is coming soon so it's a pointless topic.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  13:27:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Studies have shown that religiosity is tied to how happy people are. Given that, when we get happy as a nation, not many will care if an atheist is elected president. Now for the hard part. We need to become a happy nation first... I'm giving that 60 years. But it could be never. Also, most european nations have a very big lead in that department. So does Canada.

We need to grow up as a nation. We have a long way to go...

By the way, I think a jew like Lieberman could win without much moderate christian or christian fundamentalist objection.

That's interesting. My country had two declared atheist presidents (they afterwards denied it, but hey) in a row... one eight years in the government, the other on his second mandate already. But then, we have a completely different culture.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  17:46:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lincoln was rumored to be an atheist.

The problem is that about 30 years ago in the US, the conservatives were getting their asses kicked in elections by democrats on a regular basis. They needed more votes.

So they recruited a block of people who are easily manipulated (probably because they tend toward the lower end of the educational and $/year spectrum and are programmed from birth for credulity), the fundamentalist christian. They discovered that you could get a fundamentalist christian to vote against his own self interest on every major issue, if you just included some bible passages in your campaign speeches and if you took their side on some social issues (none of which have any impact on the issues of interest for conservative politicians).

Needless to say, THAT plan has backfired bigtime. Instead of manipulating the fundamentalist voting block, the republican party was taken over by them.

Now you have a president who can't form coherent sentences, has embroiled us in a no win situation in the middle east, and has no plan to fix his mess except to pass it off to the next president... but 28% of the country STILL thinks he is doing a fine job as president!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  19:48:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude said "So they recruited a block of people who are easily manipulated"

Dude there are a lot of "groups" that fit this description used by both parties.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  19:40:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Screw religion, now that we have super-model newscasters, I want to know when we'll have the first super-model president.

I don't care about looking presidential, I wanna see Baberaham Lincoln.

Knowing our luck, it'll be Paris "P the Blade" Hilton.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.