New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  21:56:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

My psychic powers detect posts about the Illuminati will make an appearance in these fora soon....

No, the Illuminati only existed a short time; I believed they were banned in Germany shortly after their inception.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  21:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rubicon95, great job on the research, and thanks for the information. I did not know about gutenburg.org. It will be a greatly used resource.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  22:04:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner said "The Federal Reserve Act, in fact, was pushed by Wilson in his first year in office, precisely to limit the kinds of banking abuses which had caused havoc, depressions, and outright starvation in the previous century."

Do you have any evidence of banking abuse that caused starvation and depressions prior to 1913 in America?

How about the depression in the 1930's, or the current situation with the foreclosures. Did the regulations help or cause these situations?

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  09:34:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME
... or the current situation with the foreclosures. Did the regulations help or cause these situations?
It seems like the current housing woes are caused by increased subprime and predatory lending. I have no idea what the regulatory rules are for that.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  11:39:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

... or the current situation with the foreclosures. Did the regulations help or cause these situations?
It seems like the current housing woes are caused by increased subprime and predatory lending. I have no idea what the regulatory rules are for that.
I'd be surprised to find out that predatory lending regulations were a part of the Federal Reserse Act of 1913. And they don't seem to be.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  14:05:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

No more spreading damned lies for Libertarianism, Jerome.

Please don't associate this imbecile with libertarianism.

May I correct that by substituting "economic Libertarianism"? I do support some of the non-economic ideas of Libertarianism, as I suppose you do, Dude.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  14:12:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Im confused, just because he ignorantly cherry-picked a quote off some site doesnt mean he attemped deception.
That's why I chose my words, "... spreading damned lies for Libertarianism..." He found someone's deliberate lies, and then spread them. Functionally, that's lying, but I carefully limited myself to accusing him of "spreading" the lies, not making them up, leaving implied wiggle-room for his having been deceived. It's hard for me to think, however, that Jerome actually believed that what he was spreading about was an honest quote.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  14:29:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Do you have any evidence of banking abuse that caused starvation and depressions prior to 1913 in America?

Yes, Jerome, I certainly do have evidence of the many bank runs and depressions that preceded the Federal Reserve Act. But you will have to look them up yourself this time, especially as you give no evidence that you use actually the links we provide to you.

How about the depression in the 1930's, or the current situation with the foreclosures. Did the regulations help or cause these situations?
The Wall Street Crash of 1929 was primarily due to the lack of sufficient stock market regulation, not banking regulation. Look it up, Jerome.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  15:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner said "The Wall Street Crash of 1929 was primarily due to the lack of sufficient stock market regulation, not banking regulation. Look it up, Jerome."

So, it had nothing at all to due with the tightening of the money supply by the federal reserve? I have looked it up; you seem to just blame all problems on not enough government regulation without looking anything up.

Halfmooner said "Yes, Jerome, I certainly do have evidence of the many bank runs and depressions that preceded the Federal Reserve Act"

Do you really, of causing depressions and starvation, or is this more posturing?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  15:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Money is created by borrowing. Banks need to loan money which in turn creates money deposited in another member bank. The federal reserve banking system loans money to member banks; ever wonder where that money comes from?

The federal reserve system is the predator.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  15:31:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I'd be surprised to find out that predatory lending regulations were a part of the Federal Reserse Act of 1913. And they don't seem to be.

Thanks for the link.

SECTION 24—Real Estate Loans

(a) Any national banking association may make, arrange, purchase or sell loans or extensions of credit secured by liens on interests in real estate, subject to such terms, conditions, and limitations as may be prescribed by the Comptroller of the Currency by order, rule, or regulation.

Seems that the regulations are part of the 1913 act

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  15:36:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Money is created by borrowing. Banks need to loan money which in turn creates money deposited in another member bank. The federal reserve banking system loans money to member banks; ever wonder where that money comes from?

The federal reserve system is the predator.

AND, the people who work for the Federal Reserve breath oxygen! So the real predator is the very cardiovascular system that keeps us alive. The irony!

But seriously: your argument doesn't make any sense.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/07/2007 15:41:08
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  15:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.

Thanks for the link.

SECTION 24—Real Estate Loans

(a) Any national banking association may make, arrange, purchase or sell loans or extensions of credit secured by liens on interests in real estate, subject to such terms, conditions, and limitations as may be prescribed by the Comptroller of the Currency by order, rule, or regulation.

Seems that the regulations are part of the 1913 act
Talk about selective quoting! The end of the passage notes:
[12 USC 371. As amended by acts of Aug. 14, 1946 (60 Stat. 1072); May 25, 1948 (62 Stat. 265); Oct. 25, 1949 (63 Stat. 906); April 20, 1950 (64 Stat. 80); Sept. 1, 1951 (65 Stat. 303, 312); Aug. 15, 1953 (67 Stat. 614); July 22, 1954 (68 Stat. 525); Aug. 17, 1954 (68 Stat. 735); Aug. 11, 1955 (69 Stat. 633, 634); July 18, 1958 (72 Stat. 396); Sept. 9, 1959 (73 Stat. 489); June 30, 1961 (75 Stat. 188, 191); Sept. 28, 1962 (76 Stat. 662, 663); June 30, 1964 (78 Stat. 233); Sept. 2, 1964 (78 Stat. 807); Aug. 10, 1965 (79 Stat. 465, 509); Nov. 3, 1966 (80 Stat. 1277); May 25, 1967 (81 Stat. 28); Aug. 1, 1968 (82 Stat. 518, 609); July 24, 1970 (84 Stat. 462); Dec. 31, 1970 (84 Stat. 1803); Aug. 22, 1974 (88 Stat. 716, 725); and Oct. 15, 1982 (96 Stat. 1510).]
Given that you have no idea what these amendments say, you actually can't speak at all to the level or regulation.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  15:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune said " AND, the people who work for the Federal Reserve breath oxygen! So the real predator is the very cardiovascular system that keeps us alive. The irony!"

I know you can put more thought than that into a post. Come on, you generally at least have a counter argument.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  17:40:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a troll.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.