Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  16:41:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's how the science of extinct species works, Jerome: Some information is inferred, until better evidence comes along to confirm or counter it. We know that feather impressions are extremely rare, and hardly ever get preserved. So if a fossil of a critter is found without feather impressions, but we know of both likely ancestors and descendants of that critter that do have surviving evidence of feathers, then we assume that the critter likely also had 'em, until better evidence comes along.

Wiki speaks of this.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  17:27:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner, you know what they say about assume. It makes an...

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  17:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all live in a world of assumptions, Jerome. Some assumptions are better than others. I assumed, when I rode my electric bike to the local store just now, that gravity would continue to hold me to the road, and that electromagnetism would continue to operate my bike's brushless DC hub motor as well. But I did not assume that yellow pixies would fetch my ciggies for me.

Science, unlike religion and woo-woo, tells people when assumptions and inferences are being made, and changes or rejects them when further evidence is forthcoming.

For instance, I infer and assume that you yet again did not read the provided links, but I stand ready to shit-can this assumption upon evidence that you have learned anything at all.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/16/2007 17:48:31
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  19:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am skeptical of these amazing finds all from China in a short period; especially when the photos presented of the fossils show no signs of feathers.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  19:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by filthy

Naked mole rats have no hair beyond whiskers, but they are still rodents, are they not? (Yeah, yeah I know; yet again with the freakin' mole rats! )
If you love 'em so much, why don't you marry one?

Fil and a mole rat,
Sittin' in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

Well, I probably would but I'm already engaged to a very jealous pangolin.

She doesn't have any hair either, but man lemmee tell ya, what a kisser!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  20:15:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

I am skeptical of these amazing finds all from China in a short period; especially when the photos presented of the fossils show no signs of feathers.

Mongolia and the Gobi Desert have turned out to be fossil gold mines. If you had noted the dates, you would see that these finds are really at least a couple of years old. They were carefully studied and peer reviewed before being publicized. As you did not google M. gui, I have done it for you. Just open the link.

Here's another'n:

If you look, you will find, one way or 'nother. It's easy.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  06:49:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, those are the photos I found and still do not see feathers. I am not saying that feathers on dinosaurs are not possible. Only that assumptions were made about the first finds and this assumption has been carried to other finds and a list is now created of feathered dinos without feather fossils.

Much in the same way t-rex was most likely a scavenger and not a hunter; but a predator sells better thus hunter he has become.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  07:00:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Filthy, those are the photos I found and still do not see feathers. I am not saying that feathers on dinosaurs are not possible. Only that assumptions were made about the first finds and this assumption has been carried to other finds and a list is now created of feathered dinos without feather fossils.
Ah, you don't see them, so they must not exist and someone must be assuming something they shouldn't. A brilliantly naive and arrogant position to take, Jerome. The person making incorrect assumptions is you.
Much in the same way t-rex was most likely a scavenger and not a hunter; but a predator sells better thus hunter he has become.
Except for all the cases where that didn't happen.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  07:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, you have the right to take as fact any statement from authority without evidence you wish. I choose to rely on evidence for my facts.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  07:32:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dave, you have the right to take as fact any statement from authority without evidence you wish.
You have no evidence that I have done any such thing.
I choose to rely on evidence for my facts.
You are not in possession of all the evidence, yet you choose to form conclusions anyway.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  07:46:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The work T. rex was done by Prof. Jack Horner, only a few years ago. It was mainly based upon skeletal anatomy, and there is still some considerable discussion over it.

This is getting tedious, so I now consider it a tutorial. Let's get it started with another feathered dinosaur: Sinornithosaurus -- do pay attention as there will be a brief quiz at the end of the period.

Here's the quiz: why are there so many artist's conceptions of these animals and so few photos of the actual fossils in popular publications? Think about it and I'll expect your carefully considered answer tomorrow.

For your homework assignment explain in an, oh, say, 1,000 to 1,500 word essay the relationship between the above animal, a denizan of the Lower Cretacious, and Archaeopteryx of the Jurassic.

I'll expect it on my desk Thursday morning.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/17/2007 07:48:45
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  08:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, there are no feathers. I did notice that the shaving of rock outside the fossil presents an image of wings. The upper limbs certainly resemble bird limbs; but feathers are not there.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  08:33:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Filthy, there are no feathers. I did notice that the shaving of rock outside the fossil presents an image of wings. The upper limbs certainly resemble bird limbs; but feathers are not there.

Focus Jerome, focus....

Here's the quiz: why are there so many artist's conceptions of these animals and so few photos of the actual fossils in popular publications? Think about it and I'll expect your carefully considered answer tomorrow.
And if you can't see faint feather impressions, your spectical perscription is a lot farther out of date than even mine.

And you need to start research on that essay.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  08:53:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

My favorite parrot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_Macaw

I have two that share my home and serenade my dogs. Usually at an inopportune time.

A handsome bird, that one. At a reptile institution where I worked back in the '50s, we had several Macaws, among other parrots, including a beautiful Hyacinth that was so friendly that it had to be kept locked up as a nuisance. I used to take it with me when I worked in the feed room. It was great company during a very messy job. I got into the habit of bringing it a treat each morning. It's favorite was prickly pear blossoms, an item I like myself.

About four years ago, an Amazon at a pet store cut my left thumb slam to the bone, so it ain't all sweetness, light, and cactus flowers.

We see lots of those 'round here... quite pretty.

But it's the maitacas that we see a lot, flying around, even in my city, which is far from being small. The article says they're quiet - but put around 15 of them together...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  09:18:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These Chinese feathered dino fossils remind me of piltdown man. 42 years of evolutionary science built on a fake.

I am willing to bet the feathered dino fossils fetch a pretty penny when sold. During my research I have found many Chinese bird fossils sold as real that are proved fake.

When science builds on false assumptions false conclusions are created.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds.