Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  10:35:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

These Chinese feathered dino fossils remind me of piltdown man. 42 years of evolutionary science built on a fake.
There was little, if any, evolutionary science built on Piltdown man. You're displaying your ignorance for all to see, Jerome, and yet preaching as if you've got evidence.
I am willing to bet the feathered dino fossils fetch a pretty penny when sold. During my research I have found many Chinese bird fossils sold as real that are proved fake.
But you're not going to present evidence of that here, are you?
When science builds on false assumptions false conclusions are created.
And when Jerome builds upon false assumptions, he thinks it's the truth.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  11:15:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

These Chinese feathered dino fossils remind me of piltdown man. 42 years of evolutionary science built on a fake.

I am willing to bet the feathered dino fossils fetch a pretty penny when sold. During my research I have found many Chinese bird fossils sold as real that are proved fake.

So now Jerome is reading out of the creationist playbook...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  11:25:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

By the way Jerome, Piltdown man was debunked by scientists as a clear forgery.

But more to the point, filthy provided you with pictures that clearly show feathers on the fossils. The descriptions of those fossils have been substantiated by peer review.

When Piltdown man was finally subjected to the same kind of review that these feathered dinosaurs are being subjected to, the Piltdown hoax was revealed.

Piltdown is an example of how science works. Not an example of how science fails to work…

Only creationists try to turn that around. It's a red herring.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  11:40:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, there are no feathers. I did notice that the shaving of rock outside the fossil presents an image of wings. The upper limbs certainly resemble bird limbs; but feathers are not there.

I wonder why people think you are a troll, hmmmm.

You present conclusions with no evidence and when presented with evidence you say it is fake or it's not clear.

A good troll will acquiesce to a point when it is obvious, so that he doesn't lose all credibility, but of couse you are not a very good troll, as I have said before.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  12:12:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That is so pathetic that I won't even call it a red herring. Only an idiot would go off on that tangent. Piltdown be damned, you should be considering my question:
Here's the quiz: why are there so many artist's conceptions of these animals and so few photos of the actual fossils in popular publications? Think about it and I'll expect your carefully considered answer tomorrow.

Another question: What gives you the idea that these Chinese specimens are faked? Is Dr. Xing Xu, who blew the cover of Archaeoraptor, in cahoots with their makers? Elaborate, and please provide reference.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/17/2007 12:15:46
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  12:26:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy said "What gives you the idea that these Chinese specimens are faked? Is Dr. Xing Xu, who blew the cover of Archaeoraptor, in cahoots with their makers? Elaborate, and please provide reference."

Simple competition of resources. Only so much glory and money to go around.

Kil, I do not read creationist propaganda.

Piltdown man was the proof of man to ape theory for 42 years. Much science was built from this. This is about 30% of the existence of the theory time wise; very substantial. Much science was built on this proof.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  13:09:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil, I do not read creationist propaganda.
You could have fooled me...

Piltdown man was the proof of man to ape theory for 42 years. Much science was built from this. This is about 30% of the existence of the theory time wise; very substantial. Much science was built on this proof.
Elaborate, please. With supporting references.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  13:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much science was built on this proof.

Such as?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  13:34:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Origin of Species was written in 1859.

Piltdown man was collected in 1912.

Piltdown discovered fraud in 1953.

It is currently 2007.

Evolutionary theory is 148 years old.

Pitdown was proof of theory for 41 years.

At the beginning of public consence of the evolutionary theorys existence it was built on the false assumption that piltdown was proof of man transitioning to ape.

In fact piltdown was the evidence used to force evolution into public talk.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  14:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

At the beginning of public consence of the evolutionary theorys existence it was built on the false assumption that piltdown was proof of man transitioning to ape.

This would only be the case if there was no other evidence for evolution at the time. There were boat loads for it, and so your argument is bunk.

Again, what science was built upon our assumption that Piltdown man was not a hoax?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/17/2007 14:06:49
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  14:19:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Origin of Species was written in 1859.

Piltdown man was collected in 1912.

Piltdown discovered fraud in 1953.

It is currently 2007.

Evolutionary theory is 148 years old.

Pitdown was proof of theory for 41 years.

In fact piltdown was the evidence used to force evolution into public talk.

I'm calling bullshit! The ToE was well established before Piltdown. Piltdown, a fraud that you obviously know little about, was viewed as a link in hominid ancestory. Unfortunatly, the London Museum had it locked away and it was observable only from casts. However, there were not a few scientists that had doubts about it because it flew in the face of other finds in Europe.

But back to the feathered Chinese Dinos; where do you get the idea that these fossils are frauds? Kindly provide some reference other than misdirection and hand-waving.

I will be asking for the answer to the quiz tomorrow, early. Will you have one?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  15:03:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky, could you provide the "boat loads" of evidence in regards to evolutionary theory in 1912?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  15:06:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy said "The ToE was well established before Piltdown."

In the public mind? With public funding?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  15:09:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy you provided evidence of fraud.

The point being if fraud can occur for 41 years, and fraud is currently happening; why would you take on faith the fossils not currently classified as fraud real?

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  16:15:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This site lists 4 hominid fossils found before Piltdown man. And that's just human evolution.

Filthy said "The ToE was well established before Piltdown."

In the public mind? With public funding?

Your claim was that science was developed on top of the assumption that Piltdown man is valid. What does this have to do with the public? Again, what science was developed because of the finding of Piltdown man?

The point being if fraud can occur for 41 years, and fraud is currently happening; why would you take on faith the fossils not currently classified as fraud real?

What would it take to show that it isn't fraud?

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/17/2007 16:16:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.08 seconds.